Jump to content Jump to content

So, during the night a bushfire started in my area (my house not where I am right now), the fire came within 10km of my house before the wind shifted. Now my parents have been told to get ready to leave this morning but thankfully the fire has moved into farming areas and the fire front is moving slower, also we are expecting a semi tropical storm (very rarely during hot weather tropical storms form in the Great Australian Bight, there have even been 3 cyclones form there in the last 150 years) is due to hit around lunchtime with 15mm of rain, which will possibly put the fire out or at least diminish enough that the CFS (Country Fire Service) can get a proper containment line in place. 

Ahh this weather is perfect...mid to high 20s, nice gentle sea breeze and no clouds in the sky. Going for a hike today with my dog, going to be slow as she doesn't move so quick nowadays but for her health she has to stay active, poor old dear is 17 this year which is like 85 in human years!.

Well... I'm not going home just yet, my wife is in quarantine at home... a member of the aircrew who was on duty on the aircraft she was on back from New Guinea has confessed to a COVID protocol breach (They have tested negative so far). This person broke RAAF guidelines and did something they were not allowed to do while in New Guinea, my wife is really ****** off and so am I. I can't go home now for 14 days cos if I join her quarantine I would have to miss the first week of going back to work, something I can't do! I will be living at my parents house now 😞

• Sad 1
15 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

a member of the aircrew who was on duty on the aircraft she was on back from New Guinea has confessed to a COVID protocol breach (They have tested negative so far). This person broke RAAF guidelines and did something they were not allowed to do while in New Guinea

**** is the best word to describe him, and you'll never know which word I used 😛 

• Haha 1

Haha, Wifey says the guy was desperate for a smoke and got one from an airport staffer thinking nothing of it. Only problem was to get the cigarette and then go smoke it he left the bio secure flight room the RAAF have in Pt. Moresby. Word is that if this guy passes 4 consecutive COVID tests with a negative then my wifes quarantine will end early 🙂 He's passed 2 so far, 2 more and we're all off the hook except for this guy who will get a roasting...wifey says lucky he isn't in her squadron as she'd have him on latrine duty forever lol. I've elected to stay at the beach house for now, wifes quarantine may end on Thursday and I will go home then and be with her for a few days before I go back to work. 

My wife is nuts, during her quarantine she's set herself the challenge of running 5 marathons in 5 days on the treadmill...:classic_wacko: I rang her this morning and she was running then and was able to have a full 10 min conversation while she was doing it...fitness freak!:classic_unsure: I need another ice cream:classic_love:

8 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

My wife is nuts, during her quarantine she's set herself the challenge of running 5 marathons in 5 days on the treadmill...:classic_wacko: I rang her this morning and she was running then and was able to have a full 10 min conversation while she was doing it...fitness freak!:classic_unsure: I need another ice cream:classic_love:

😮 

I've been on holidays too long...first day back at work and I'm exhausted. Things went very well, I'm just tired and not used to having my brain following a-b leads to c etc as normally my thought process is all over the place! lol I'm busy getting the lab setup so I can teach my fossil identification and conservation intensive course over the next fortnight, I have 18 students and at this point in time there are no COVID restrictions in place in the university (other than no students allowed to come from Victoria but there aren't any in my class)... then after that semester starts and I'm teaching my usual Post K-Pg boundary event evolution (aka the rise of mammals as I like to call it) topic and thats it until the field school in June... were back in our awesome bone cave system this time... I've been itching to get back in there for a year! Oh and I might be guest lecturing at the rival university in a colleagues topic called 'life in deep time' which is pre dinosaurs. 

OMG, I love my job! And my boss is so awesome, I've got 2 teaching assistants for my lab topic 'to take the stress off you Kitty' as he put it. Both the assistants are phd students that I am a co supervisor for and I know them well, this should be easy peasy 🙂

8 hours ago, couger1981 said:

Wonder what the forums are going to be like once Codemasters is integrated into EA?

Hopefully we'll continue on this forum. Like how SMS have their own forums despite being part of Codies

I'm so tired, 4 days of teaching my intensive and I'm spent 😞 I've got tomorrow and next week to go...gonna be a long 6 days at work. I just find any kind of social interaction exhausting and being the teacher for a 7 hour block every day is very taxing for me. Lucky I got 2 assistants and a decent enough group of students and I enjoy the stuff I'm teaching too 🙂 Hope everyone is well 🙂

• Like 1

Saying that I'm tired would be an understatement, I've been flat out😴. Spent the whole weekend marking the small assignment the students had to submit on Friday, even though there's only 18, practical assignments take 10 times longer to mark than an essay/exam format. 4 days left, I hope i make it...not doing my usual home duties during this topic...not cooking dinner or making my wife's lunches... she's having to do that lol (she still can't cook worth a damn:classic_rolleyes:). Oh and next week normal teaching starts, I have 2, 4 hour days and 2, 3 hour days and I get Wednesdays off.. my boss has suggested that I not even come into work that day as I won't be getting paid and I should use it to relax properly... too much lab stuff to do though 🙂

12 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Saying that I'm tired would be an understatement, I've been flat out😴. Spent the whole weekend marking the small assignment the students had to submit on Friday, even though there's only 18, practical assignments take 10 times longer to mark than an essay/exam format. 4 days left, I hope i make it...not doing my usual home duties during this topic...not cooking dinner or making my wife's lunches... she's having to do that lol (she still can't cook worth a damn:classic_rolleyes:). Oh and next week normal teaching starts, I have 2, 4 hour days and 2, 3 hour days and I get Wednesdays off.. my boss has suggested that I not even come into work that day as I won't be getting paid and I should use it to relax properly... too much lab stuff to do though 🙂

Take care! 🙂 

We just received the scores of our English preliminary exam and turns out that the system for some reason randomized all our answers to multiple choice questions. Basically the scores are now useless as a good 1/3 of the points are randomized 😁

Got 85/99 from the essay which I wrote in 20 minutes, so that's a rather good sign at least. Though the essay is quite laughable in terms of length at least. The maximum characters you can have is a little over 1600, with the recommended amount being 700-1300 or something like that.

Lol thats not an essay! I wouldn't set anything less then 1500 words and really only a 4-5000 word one allows the students to properly explore a topic. As for your results being randomized lols...:classic_unsure: From what I can see your English is great, so it doesn't surprise me. 

1 more day of teaching to go and then I administer the practical exam on Friday...bit scary as the real fossils get taken out for the first time! eek so far they've only been handling plaster reproductions. Haha as I'm an evil b**** the exam will take nearly 5 hours to complete (they do get a lunch break half way) I have 36 fossils for each student to look at, identify and then explain why they have identified it etc etc (there's an 8 step criteria to fossil identification... though I never use it myself but it has to be taught) I'm very proud of myself, my health is holding (just, probs cos no alcohol and I'm fit and eating healthy) and I'm feeling like the stress is manageable but only barely. My wife's attempts at dinners though may just get me... she burnt the sausages tonight and somehow got the mash potato to be both gluey and lumpy... silly woman just can't cook.

Edited by KittyFit90

All good and all done! yay... i am very tired but I do feel a sense of accomplishment at getting through without issue 🙂 Very happy. weekend off then back to normal teaching which is ok (hopefully)... one thing wifey said she wants to talk to me over the weekend when I'm not so tired about something 'important'.:classic_unsure: Hope I'm not in trouble!

• Like 1