Jump to content Jump to content

9 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I always put my hair up in a bun when showering, only the outer layers get wet that way. When does your stint of army service start and how long for?

5th of July, with the length being unknown as it depends on what I'll be trained as. The normal lengths are 165, 255 and 347 days. They pay gets raised the longer you're there, though it's still rather rubbish. Min. 5.20€/day, Max. 10.20€/day 😁

• Confused 1
23 minutes ago, UP100 said:

5th of July, with the length being unknown as it depends on what I'll be trained as. The normal lengths are 165, 255 and 347 days. They pay gets raised the longer you're there, though it's still rather rubbish. Min. 5.20€/day, Max. 10.20€/day 😁

Omg... that pay is rubbish! I won't say what I get an hour... but its a lot more than that daily rate... let alone what my wife gets an hour especially when shes flying. I guess to counterbalance that, things are very very expensive in Australia, like my daily coffee at uni is $4.50 or about 3.50 euros. 

50 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Omg... that pay is rubbish! I won't say what I get an hour... but its a lot more than that daily rate... let alone what my wife gets an hour especially when shes flying. I guess to counterbalance that, things are very very expensive in Australia, like my daily coffee at uni is $4.50 or about 3.50 euros. 

That's what happens when things are mandatory. The Armed Forces are like your parents. They pay your apartment's rent and they give you some pocket money to spend on things. 😁

• Haha 1

I enjoyed the armed forces but I was incredibly young, 

Had I been the person I am now then I definitely would have made a long career from it serving the full term, 

On top of that depending on how long you serve will be your pension for life, 

My god father went in when he was 18 and left when he was 47 or 48, 

Basically his age limit,  now I think you can serve upto 55 years old, 

When you're young you think life is forever and you will never get old lol,  life is actually very short hahaha 

Just find your passion and try to relate that into work,  

Then the world 🌎 is your oyster  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
8 hours ago, senna94f1 said:

I enjoyed the armed forces but I was incredibly young, 

Had I been the person I am now then I definitely would have made a long career from it serving the full term, 

On top of that depending on how long you serve will be your pension for life, 

My god father went in when he was 18 and left when he was 47 or 48, 

Basically his age limit,  now I think you can serve upto 55 years old, 

When you're young you think life is forever and you will never get old lol,  life is actually very short hahaha 

Just find your passion and try to relate that into work,  

Then the world 🌎 is your oyster  

My wife is a lifer in the RAAF, started at the academy when she was 18 and she hasn't even fulfilled her minimum service requirement yet! 20 years after graduation and now that she is going to the staff college for her senior officers course they will add another 10 years to her minimum. Sigh, being married to a career officer has its drawbacks... such as getting my birthday vacation cancelled!

Holy moly,

All my students have submitted their major essays, last few came in today only 2 days past the due date. This is unheard of, most of the time they come in weeks after lol. Well no more lounging about the house playing Mass Effect, got some work to do now. I'm off to Naracoorte on Sunday for the field work season, I've got my own cabin in the caravan park as I'm the only female staff member doing teaching this year, this means my wife can come down to visit if she can get some time off when she gets back from Hawaii. Gonna be so fun!

• Like 1

Finally got me fish and chips! Though from a place in Rovaniemi, so maybe not the 'true experience' 😛

DSC_0332.thumb.JPG.93d2a405dd9dc3facfaa98522e9a7936.JPG

Also renewed my passport while here. The three big police stations in the Helsinki-Vantaa-Espoo area are booked for the next 1-2 months. Rovaniemi (Lapland) on the other hand was empty. Could've walked in and gotten it renewed immediately even without an appointment 😁

• Like 1

Looks like the legit experience to me, was it good? Even wrapped in newspaper which, unfortunately is not allowed in Australia anymore because of the toxins in news ink. Glad to see Finns can cook chips properly, unlike the British who absolutely ruin them with overcooking and putting vinegar on them... yuck.🤮 All you're missing there is chicken salt.... which I've discovered is an Australia only thing lol. 

I'm in Naracoorte with the field school, 18 students, 3 phd assistants and 3 staff teachers. Tomorrow we have a cave safety briefing, ie wearing a hard hat at all times, emergency torch usage etc and then a day or two doing the basics of trench maintenance and excavation techniques taught by yours truly. Then we split the students into groups, I will get 3 for my section of the caves, its a cramped chamber and requires a 4 metre squeeze to access... no claustrophobics need apply haha 😉 my boss always says that the cave I work in is perfect for me since I'm so short and yeah probs the only person who can stand upright in there haha 🤣

Edited by KittyFit90
7 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Looks like the legit experience to me, was it good? Even wrapped in newspaper which, unfortunately is not allowed in Australia anymore because of the toxins in news ink. Glad to see Finns can cook chips properly, unlike the British who absolutely ruin them with overcooking and putting vinegar on them... yuck.🤮 All you're missing there is chicken salt.... which I've discovered is an Australia only thing lol. 

I'm in Naracoorte with the field school, 18 students, 3 phd assistants and 3 staff teachers. Tomorrow we have a cave safety briefing, ie wearing a hard hat at all times, emergency torch usage etc and then a day or two doing the basics of trench maintenance and excavation techniques taught by yours truly. Then we split the students into groups, I will get 3 for my section of the caves, its a cramped chamber and requires a 4 metre squeeze to access... no claustrophobics need apply haha 😉 my boss always says that the cave I work in is perfect for me since I'm so short and yeah probs the only person who can stand upright in there haha 🤣

Certainly can't complain about the food! Despite being much better in quality, the price was the same as kebab with fries in most slightly suspicious pizza-kebab places

Safety briefings remind me of 7th grade's first woodworking class where the teacher basically went through all tools and how you could lose your limbs when messing around with those. Honestly can't complain. I wouldn't want to be in charge of 7th graders in a room with a lot of deadly equipment 😁

So this was me this afternoon 'this is a UNESCO World Heritage site and we want to have the minimum of impact, this means we try to keep the touching of the cave walls, stalactites and stalagmites to a minimum' ... literally 2 minutes later a student was caught licking a stalagmite while taking a selfie, some people honestly... no brain! She got a real bollocking by my boss and is on her final warning, 2 weeks to go and there's already an idiot, one incident away from being sent home with a fail. 🤪 asking around to see who has no fear of tight spaces to work in my area, so far got one guy who used to work in the mines... but he's a big bloke and may not fit through the squeeze in the caving suit... eek. Oh and if there was ever an award for the most un-glamorous outfit its a caving suit lol 🤣

Edited by KittyFit90

I hate my boss, we had our dinner (we take turns doing the evening meals as the caravan park is too far from town to eat there) and were packing up when out came a birthday cake and the entire group sang happy birthday to me... I was mortified/embarrassed... 😳

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I hate my boss, we had our dinner (we take turns doing the evening meals as the caravan park is too far from town to eat there) and were packing up when out came a birthday cake and the entire group sang happy birthday to me... I was mortified/embarrassed... 😳

My birthday is getting close as well... hopefully I won't get the same treatment 😁

• Like 1

Well that was an interesting day lol... Had a person get sort of stuck in the squeeze, the caving pro had to calm him down to get him out (when we panic our chest cavity expands), meeting with the boss later tonight to discuss whether we give up on the small chamber or go ahead with my other 2 volunteers who are smaller people. I'm so thin nowadays I could fit through twice haha🤣

Trench notes done for the day and I'm halfway through marking my students major essays. Very productive day in the caves, even my large male student was able to get through the squeeze no problem today and he's a great help with the work 🙂

Omg! I've identified a fossil as being from the rare Thylacoleo Carnifex (aka marsupial lion), I always thought the small chamber I am working in was a den where the lion would sleep and eat, to identify the animal itself would be special. I can only imagine how much of it will be there, ready to be discovered!😁

@UP100 Best wishes mate, enjoy your time in the army, hope all goes well. As I said to wifey when she left for the ADF Academy... try not to get 💥 up haha

My field school is wrapping up soon and then the real field work will begin so I'll be super busy and will probably forget to say the above when you go haha. My Wife is joining me down here on Sunday and will be able to stay a week yay! She wants to help tho... haha.😳 She's gotten her orders too now, her promotion will take place on July 16th, dress uniforms and a big ceremony, I will be allowed on base to attend eek! Then she will be stood down from duty for a fortnight, then she starts at the staff college in Canberra on the 2nd of August for a semester, unless I can get over there to visit, I won't see her until the end of November. Sigh... but shes so excited!:classic_love:

Yay! The undergrads are gone, now I can get some actual work done lol, my 3 students were ok at the work but needed a lot of hand holding lol... at least nothing was destroyed this time through incompetence... just really really slow. I kept them away from the area where I reckon the Thylacoleo Carnifex is, that one is for me and my Phd student helper who is nearly as good at digging fossils as I am. Hopefully wifey is happy to help by moving spoil or sifting or some other unskilled menial job. 🤣

1st day in the military: Just waiting and chilling. People are praising us over the fact that we're playing cards on the first day. Apparently the other newbies are boring 😁

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, UP100 said:

1st day in the military: Just waiting and chilling. People are praising us over the fact that we're playing cards on the first day. Apparently the other newbies are boring 😁

I remember my wife telling me she caught a maintenance crew playing cards in a hanger, when asked what they were doing they said 'the plane were meant to work on is right there but the orders were issued without being signed' she lost her nut and chewed out the sergeant who was about 20 years older than her, then she felt embarrassed and invited him and the crew for a game of cards later in the week during quiet duty time!🤪

Ouch...

Late yesterday I was wedged in the corner of the cave excavating a fossil when I twisted at an odd angle and my left shoulder popped out of the socket. Agony! My wife drove me down to Mt Gambier to go to the hospital where they put it back in but its too sore to do any work, my wife reckons I should just go home and take it easy but I think I should stay and at least help with site drawings, trench notes and the fossil processing... ow! I'm right handed so at least I can write and draw 🙂

Still very very sore, cannot get comfortable in bed 😞

I'm just so glad that I lost all that weight, getting through the squeeze with a dislocated shoulder would've been so much harder, shout out to Steve our caving expert who got me out of the cave safely even though I was barely able to move myself.

I'm home 😞

Too sore to even sit upright in a camp chair to draw and take notes on site, so no point in staying. Going to have my left arm in a sling for 2-3 weeks. I'm sad, I'm missing a great opportunity to further my research and excavating is so much fun! 😞

Hello off-topic!

My service got delayed by two years as I got a spot studying Japanese language and linquistics. Feeling a bit shallow about it though, as everyone I met there was lovely

• Haha 1
On 7/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, UP100 said:

Hello off-topic!

My service got delayed by two years as I got a spot studying Japanese language and linquistics. Feeling a bit shallow about it though, as everyone I met there was lovely

Congrats!

welcome back 🙂 I'm still getting over my shoulder but am getting well looked after by my wife who is off work for 2 weeks now. She's a Squadron Leader now! Thats equivalent to an army major, she was so pleased when she went through the promotion ceremony. In 2 weeks I'm back to work and she's off to Canberra to go to the staff college to get her senior officers accreditation. We're going to the beach house tomorrow for a week... 

• Like 1