Jump to content Jump to content

19 hours ago, UP100 said:

Orientation week! I'm lucky to get be studying in some beautiful old buildings as the "campus" for language studies is in central Helsinki that was designed in the 1800s

Oh nice, my university was built in the 70s and is very daggy, though I was lucky enough to get my office in part of the recently redeveloped section of the sciences building. 🙂

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Oh nice, my university was built in the 70s and is very daggy, though I was lucky enough to get my office in part of the recently redeveloped section of the sciences building. 🙂

17A10-147_photo_HelsinkiMarketing.jpg.08888933a2ba60fd69d4fe3e3448d727.jpg

Our "main" building is not really visible here, but it's basically on the very bottom on the right. Imagine walking outside just to be in front of the senate square. Some people who haven't visited Helsinki just went 😮 

Then there are buildings made in the late 1900s that are just boxes as schools tend to be

Then there are modern buildings (such as the University's new library), which do look nice as well

Helsingin yliopiston kirjasto – Wikipedia

• Like 1
On 8/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, UP100 said:

17A10-147_photo_HelsinkiMarketing.jpg.08888933a2ba60fd69d4fe3e3448d727.jpg

Our "main" building is not really visible here, but it's basically on the very bottom on the right. Imagine walking outside just to be in front of the senate square. Some people who haven't visited Helsinki just went 😮 

Then there are buildings made in the late 1900s that are just boxes as schools tend to be

Then there are modern buildings (such as the University's new library), which do look nice as well

Helsingin yliopiston kirjasto – Wikipedia

So much happening in that first pic with the 'Helsinki Eye', Kauppatori and Allas sea pool too 😍

I was looking forward to visiting Musiikki, which has just sneaked in to the second picture, but to my horror there were things like knitting needles in the window! 

• Like 1

Looks like I might have some rescue excavation to do later in the week/over the weekend. My colleague at the other university who I work with on Ediacaran sites has asked me about being available to go to Woomera in the deserts of the far north. Seems like the airforce may have dug into a fossil bed on the rocket range there 🙂 I love these little trips, easy peasy work and probs get paid 2-3 grand for 4-5 days work! Get to visit interesting places and beautiful scenery (if you like deserts, I do 🙂). 

• Like 1

Busy busy! Off to Woomera Wednesday night, the RAAF are paying for a small charter flight to take us there, had to arrange for for my teaching assistants to take over my tutorials for the week and record my thursday lecture and put that up online. Had to fill out the form to get allowed onto the rocket range, gotta remember to take all my id otherwise going up there will be a waste of time lol... this is something I might do!🤣 Last time I was in Woomera, my wife signed me in as her guest and I we just parked her small plane and got a lift into the town, didn't see the airbase let alone the guts of the rocket range... exciting!

• Like 1

Been a busy two days for me as well. Although I'm busy with loads of university stuff, it doesn't feel anywhere close as slow or boring as upper secondary school... probably because for once I can actually learn interesting things instead of endless amounts of math and physics 😁

Haha, I remember the grind of high school... ughh maths😞 My first day of university I was so nervous (this was at the rival university not the one I teach at), I was 15 and really really weird (still am! but I'm way more comfortable with being weird nowadays)! And nearly everyone else was an adult! My first lecture was this really basic biology one and quite dull but I really enjoyed it because i knew it was the stuff I was into. I wanted to be a vet back then, but after a couple of years of working part time as a veterinary nurse I realised it wasn't for me (couldn't hack putting animals to sleep or seeing some of the cruelty that awful; people show), I had found the evolutionary topics interesting and had done a few paleontology electives so in my 3rd year it was an easy decision to switch my focus... though I still ended up with the same degree I started in Bachelor of Science (Honours) double major in Biology and Animal Science, I was 19 when I finished that. Then I did a masters by coursework in earth sciences at the university I teach at with the major being paleontology, then it was off to england and that was really hard but also the best 4 years of my life in a lot of ways (did some teaching there in my 3rd and 4th years). While there I got bored in my off hours for a while and did a graduate diploma of classical languages to keep myself amused lol, ancient greek and latin very useful! 🤣

So hows the Japanese studies going? My wife knows a bit of Japanese but has no formal qualification, just what she's picked up on her visits there over the years. It would seem a very hard language to learn given it has no common root with my parent language (English), though I suppose Finnish is bit unique? How does it compare to learning English?

• Like 1

The hardest part of learning Japanese would probably be the amount of kanji you need to know to be able to understand things. It's easier to learn from context with a language like English when you can just remember the word when you see it.

As an example, you're browsing the Japan Ice Hockey Federation's site and you see the words 日本アイスホッケー連盟 in the header. You know the two first words, so you're able to deduct that the last word must mean something along the lines of 'federation'.

Trouble is that, unlike in English, typing the word is still tough as you only know the kanji of 連盟, but not how it's typed and pronounced. So you need to go and look up the kana version of the word, which is れんめい. It makes learning from context sometimes an absolute pain, though it's sometimes fun to try and guess the pronunciation before you look it up 😅

I guess the reason why learning through subtitles is rather popular is that you can get the word, the definition and the pronunciation in one go

• Agree 1

Hello from the desert, been so busy and the internet here is so awful lol. I'm staying on another week, my colleague has gone home to Adelaide but with the work left unfinished I chose to stay and get it done. The RAAF are treating me like a visiting general, so well looked after! They hit a fossil bed while putting in a new section of dirt road, we thought it might've been just a square metre or 2, turns out to be much bigger, not that rich as far as fossils but the bed could be 10m2 or more! Its been a tad hot (low 30s in the second week of spring) but not too bad, will share some photos when I get home. Stay safe everyone! 🙂

• Like 1

Going home tomorrow afternoon, all but finished today. Nothing extraordinary and the few fossils there were able to be extracted, so was happy to approve the destruction of the site so the RAAF can build their road. 🙂 

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1

As promised, a few photos of my trip. Unfortunately all the excavation photos had to be taken by an RAAF person as no private cameras were allowed onto the range, so these images are from around town. As you can see some the older weapons tested there are no longer classified and are proudly on display in the towns outdoor museum! I signed an NDA about what I saw on the range but needless to say its in active use still. The nearest town from Woomera is Port Augusta about 200km away, and between the two there is literally nothing bar a few very big pastoral properties. Not the most isolated place i've been, Lake Arcaman still wins that one but this one was just as interesting!

20210910_112019.thumb.jpg.05f7880277ddc731f86478c6a196239f.jpg

20210910_100325.thumb.jpg.8be950b92489c4df41edde6e246bb1e3.jpg20210910_085812.thumb.jpg.66b36b2cdc208addc33eac2d4a6370d0.jpg

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Something catch your attention I find the desert so beautiful in a sense of the utter desolation... it's an acquired taste for sure.

In general it's interesting to see pictures from others as we often take granted everything around us, thinking it's "normal" while someone else in the world thinks their environment is "normal"... or so 😛

• Agree 1
14 hours ago, UP100 said:

In general it's interesting to see pictures from others as we often take granted everything around us, thinking it's "normal" while someone else in the world thinks their environment is "normal"... or so 😛

Yes! I feel the same way, I doubt that even a single square metre of South Australia looks like FInland! If you like I will take some photos from around my house and workplace and put those up. 🙂

• Like 1
12 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Yes! I feel the same way, I doubt that even a single square metre of South Australia looks like FInland! If you like I will take some photos from around my house and workplace and put those up. 🙂

Definitely! I should probably do the same as well

• Agree 1

Here are some shots of my backyard, I live in an area known as the southern hills face zone... ie on the hills facing over the city. The first photo is taken facing north west with my view of the Gulf St. Vincent with the buildings on the coast being Glenelg (a bit of a hipster beach side area). The second photo is my backyard as taken from the outdoor eating area, I have no lawn in the back and mostly Australian native plants. The third photo is taken right at the rear of my backyard where my wife and I have a bench for sitting, the foreground is a cleared area that she maintains as required by law as a fire break, there is a path going down the hill to a firetrack alongside a small creek, if I follow that I can walk to my university (around 25 minutes), I do this in summer when its not too hot.

I had terrible hayfever today so I didn't fancy going for a walk, but I will in the next week or so and will take some more . Sorry about the lens flare, was very sunny today!

20210923_131622.thumb.jpg.7a2312ffe5a964d8d495424edc13f650.jpg

20210923_131632.jpg

20210923_132343.jpg

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1

Sitting up in bed doing some marking tonight, dog is lounging on wifes side of the bed (she gets bed privileges when wife is away) when I hear rustling at the front door like someone is playing with the lock. Eek scary I think, then the front door opens my dog goes flying off the bed into the hall but not barking as she must've known who it was lol and then 'Surprise' my wife shouts. She flew in from Canberra! I was going to go see her over the mid semester break which starts tomorrow but the ACT is closed to all travel, so I had to cancel. Certainly was a surprise, cept now I gotta wash the bedspread as wife says 'your dog really stinks kitty and my side of the bed stinks' sigh... poor old girl really is smelly lol, my hayfever is so bad I can't smell anything haha 😄 were going to head off to the beach house tomorrow morning for the week, so thankful that she made the effort to come home and for keeping it a secret!:classic_love:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, UP100 said:

Too lazy to have gotten any pictures yet, but the differences are huge! The lazier I am the more autumn will it be xP

Do you get autumn leaves in Finland? All Australian trees are evergreens, and eucalyptus trees do not change colour with the seasons. The colour changes we get are that all the grass dies and goes brown during summer, its still very green atm but that will change by middish October when we usually get the first 30+ degree heatwaves, things stay brown until mid to late April when the first serious rainy days come and the temperatures drop low enough that the plants aren't getting scorched by the sun. Last summer was quite mild by our standards with only 7-8 days over 40. Those kinds of days can kill some plants very quickly if they aren't watered. I have a lot of arid area plants in my garden that don't need watering at all once they are mature. 

On 9/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, KittyFit90 said:

Do you get autumn leaves in Finland? All Australian trees are evergreens, and eucalyptus trees do not change colour with the seasons. The colour changes we get are that all the grass dies and goes brown during summer, its still very green atm but that will change by middish October when we usually get the first 30+ degree heatwaves, things stay brown until mid to late April when the first serious rainy days come and the temperatures drop low enough that the plants aren't getting scorched by the sun. Last summer was quite mild by our standards with only 7-8 days over 40. Those kinds of days can kill some plants very quickly if they aren't watered. I have a lot of arid area plants in my garden that don't need watering at all once they are mature. 

We also get no leaves in winter 😁

Still haven't got to getting some pictures around, but I have this from some days ago. A more quieter part of Helsinki. Should at least display the current tree condition 😛

archive.thumb.png.53448636319c6913fba0b8bcd4542bae.png

It's still around 10C outside, though the temperature has gone under zero at nights apparently

• Like 1

Hey hey, I'm by myself again, wifey is back in the ACT till early december. This sucks 😞

Good news is, the mid semester break ends tomorrow and I'm going back to in person teaching! Now I can hang around work for a reason lol. 

• Like 1