Jump to content Jump to content

I'm sad 😞

My Dad is in hospital, not sure whats wrong yet... he's 84 but this is his first real health scare. His health has been fantastic until now, mum says he's been a bit tired for the last few weeks and gone off his food and drink. I guess cos I came so late in their lives... I'm still a young woman and I kinda never liked to think that maybe I would lose my parents relatively young...  now that I think about it 6 of my dads 7 siblings are dead (I got 1 aunt left) and they all died in their early to mid 80s. Dad always says he will out live them all because he spent most of his life in the Australian sun instead of dreary England lol Anyway trying not too get to down about it, he'll probably live into his 90s haha... yeah 😞

Gall bladder stones, pretty nasty for an old fella, they can't operate because of his age so he's taking this awful stuff to clean them out. Hospital for 3-4 days and then has to take it easy for a week or two at home, mum is looking at getting a nurse to come by the house 2-3 times a week. Luckily they have the money to stay at home and have the house cleaned, garden maintained and now a nurse to visit. I offered to move back home for a month or so but got told no in an emphatic way lol... they are both more concerned with how I'm coping then with dads health, I gotta admit I'm not feeling so great, kinda scared even... what if my wife and I have problems again and I'm alone and my parents die... last time I was by myself I nearly... well yeah I mentioned that before once. Its dumb that they are still having to worry about me... I'm 31 for goodness sake I should be more mature 😞 

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Gall bladder stones, pretty nasty for an old fella, they can't operate because of his age so he's taking this awful stuff to clean them out. Hospital for 3-4 days and then has to take it easy for a week or two at home, mum is looking at getting a nurse to come by the house 2-3 times a week. Luckily they have the money to stay at home and have the house cleaned, garden maintained and now a nurse to visit. I offered to move back home for a month or so but got told no in an emphatic way lol... they are both more concerned with how I'm coping then with dads health, I gotta admit I'm not feeling so great, kinda scared even... what if my wife and I have problems again and I'm alone and my parents die... last time I was by myself I nearly... well yeah I mentioned that before once. Its dumb that they are still having to worry about me... I'm 31 for goodness sake I should be more mature 😞 

If it helps a bit, I'd say it's very unlikely that you would lose everyone at the same time. Most likely, whatever happens, there's at least someone to rely on. Whoever it'd be. You even have this weird @UP100 guy on the internets as a last, last, resort

• Thanks 1

Embarrassing, my dad spoke to my wife yesterday and last night she flew home to look after me 😞 I got gifts, hugs and lots of promises that our marriage is going great and that she's got no intention of going anywhere. Sigh... I'm such a child sometimes 😞

Technically vacation! The best type of vacation.

Don't have any exams to do, so I'm just free to finish one final project and otherwise just chill for a week 🙂 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, UP100 said:

Technically vacation! The best type of vacation.

Don't have any exams to do, so I'm just free to finish one final project and otherwise just chill for a week 🙂 

Hope you are doing well? My students have 3 weeks left of classes and then their final essays are due. I don't give exams in my topics now, they are not a very good assessment tool for Paleontology in my opinion. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:01 AM, KittyFit90 said:

Hope you are doing well? My students have 3 weeks left of classes and then their final essays are due. I don't give exams in my topics now, they are not a very good assessment tool for Paleontology in my opinion. 

Doing well so far at least!

COVID restrictions are also weakening, so I'll get to hang around in the city centre much more than those who entered university last year 🙂 

54 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Doing well so far at least!

COVID restrictions are also weakening, so I'll get to hang around in the city centre much more than those who entered university last year 🙂 

We are fast approaching 80% vaccine levels here and with 0 covid cases we are looking to ease restrictions by mid November and open the state borders. I might be able to spend Christmas with family again yay! 

• Like 1

My poor old dog had a really bad day today, lots of lightning this morning. I knew she'd be terrified so I asked my mum to go and pick her up and dogsit her for the day. Mum said my poor baby was cowering under my bed and had weed on the carpet, she hasn't done that for 15 years! poor baby😢:classic_love:

• Sad 1

How long has it been again? I'll subscribe to this place from now on 😛 

Been working on my first assignment that requires it to be written like an academic paper, although extremely short one (4-6 pages!). I almost don't even care what I've written, it just looks way to professional 😁

E: Apparently I had subscribed to the thread, but without any notifications? What's the point of that!?

9 minutes ago, UP100 said:

How long has it been again? I'll subscribe to this place from now on 😛 

Been working on my first assignment that requires it to be written like an academic paper, although extremely short one (4-6 pages!). I almost don't even care what I've written, it just looks way to professional 😁

E: Apparently I had subscribed to the thread, but without any notifications? What's the point of that!?

Haha 😄 I wouldn't even know how to write a paper that didn't look academic now lol I've published 5 times this year in various journals, thats above the average but cos I only work 25% hours I've got much more time than my colleagues. Right now I'm working on a paper detailing a new species of Ediacaran biota I identified at Woomera, right now I'm working through the bit where I talk about the radiometric dating for the rock samples from site and the layers in which they appeared in the section. Very dry stuff 🙂 also getting help from a geologist colleague for that one.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Haha 😄 I wouldn't even know how to write a paper that didn't look academic now lol I've published 5 times this year in various journals, thats above the average but cos I only work 25% hours I've got much more time than my colleagues. Right now I'm working on a paper detailing a new species of Ediacaran biota I identified at Woomera, right now I'm working through the bit where I talk about the radiometric dating for the rock samples from site and the layers in which they appeared in the section. Very dry stuff 🙂 also getting help from a geologist colleague for that one.

...and now my replies can be this fast thanks to that subscription! Although sometimes writing English seems like such a pain in the butt that it'll take me a day to reply

That last part of the message got away from me a bit. Does genuinely sound interesting though, I just can't allocate time to look into what all of that means 😅

Any free time I have will just immediately go to programming anyways. Monday and Tuesday I did over 6 hours of programming for example... Jeez, I should spend that on studying

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, UP100 said:

...and now my replies can be this fast thanks to that subscription! Although sometimes writing English seems like such a pain in the butt that it'll take me a day to reply

That last part of the message got away from me a bit. Does genuinely sound interesting though, I just can't allocate time to look into what all of that means 😅

Any free time I have will just immediately go to programming anyways. Monday and Tuesday I did over 6 hours of programming for example... Jeez, I should spend that on studying

Yes writing in proper english is hard lol, I am very very lazy on here with my spelling, grammar etc. But yeah, writing in a second language is very hard, you should see my writing in French, omg so labored. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow snow! We're having an unusually cool November here, been mid 20s mostly, can hit 40 sometimes!

I've been soooo busy with work, marking essays and getting ready for next year. A colleague had a minor car accident 2 weeks ago and so the rest of us have been helping him out with his marking etc. Got my performance appraisal next week, a bit more marking and then I'm off work until late Jan. Wife is home end of next week too yay! 

Oh and I won Favourite Lecturer from the students for the second year in a row. Chocolates are yummy thanks guys!

Edited by KittyFit90
Spelling
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Wow snow! We're having an unusually cool November here, been mid 20s mostly, can hit 40 sometimes!

I've been soooo busy with work, marking essays and getting ready for next year. A colleague had a minor car accident 2 weeks ago and so the rest of us have been helping him out with his marking etc. Got my performance appraisal next week, a bit more marking and then I'm off work until late Jan. Wife is home end of next week too yay! 

Oh and I won Favourite Lecturer from the students for the second year in a row. Chocolates are yummy thanks guys!

Don't you dare to doubt yourself after that prize 😁

I'd burn in a second there, figuratively and literally. I was burned almost everyday when I was doing military service as it was way too hot and there were practically no cloudy days

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, UP100 said:

Don't you dare to doubt yourself after that prize 😁

I'd burn in a second there, figuratively and literally. I was burned almost everyday when I was doing military service as it was way too hot and there were practically no cloudy days

Don't visit in Jan, we once had 7 consecutive days above 40, a day at 39 and then another 3 days above 40... that was about 8-9 years ago. I still shudder at the memory!