Jump to content Jump to content

The Stuff Thread

Ron666

Oh no!

I've been sick the last few weeks, still am but recovering... damn Covid 😞 Silly state government opened our border too early and despite being double vaxxed I still got the omicron variant and it really has floored me. I think I'm going to be fine and the worst is definitely passed but still, what a way to ruin my Christmas. Oh well, more of my wifes awful cooking🤮🤣

Merry Christmas everyone hugs

Ughh I'm melting... its just under 40 here today. Lucky I had the beach house's air conditioner upgraded after last summer. 

Hope everyone had a good christmas, mine was ok even though it was just me and my wife and a way overcooked roast pork! New Years fireworks cancelled tonight because of fire danger so may not even bother to make it to midnight. Happy New Year though! Uhm... wife is back to work on the 3rd of Jan, I'm probs not going to like her new position, she will be working longer hours than she used to now. Otherwise all is good with me, feeling fine now if a little tired 🙂

• Like 1

Wife is staying on base due to huge Covid numbers here, haven't seen her for a week now 😢 Omicron strain sure is contagious, luckily it seems to be mostly harmless, like I was probs sicker than most people are with it here and it was kinda no more than the flu.

Take it easy everyone and stay safe!

• 3 weeks later...

Woah quiet😴

Hope you're good @UP100. I'm fine, got my fossil lab topic next week for a fortnight, been busy busy adjusting stuff so that we follow strict Covid protocols, the biggie has been the exam, the fossils are usually handed from student to student but now I've had to do 'bags' of fossils for each student which are all sort of similar in content. Means instead of me having a list of 40 or so fossils that I write questions for, I've now got 15 bags of 40 with questions eek.

I barely see my wife too😪 hers is a front line unit and that means they have to be ready to be a first response force if theres a war, so all of the squadron are staying on base. We can meet at a park bench on base both wearing full face masks for a max of 15 minutes 3 times a week, no hugging or kissing either. Its awful, stupid federal government for allowing foreign tourists, stupid state government for folding to federal pressure and easing our borders and restrictions, stupid Omicron!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Woah quiet😴

Hope you're good @UP100. I'm fine, got my fossil lab topic next week for a fortnight, been busy busy adjusting stuff so that we follow strict Covid protocols, the biggie has been the exam, the fossils are usually handed from student to student but now I've had to do 'bags' of fossils for each student which are all sort of similar in content. Means instead of me having a list of 40 or so fossils that I write questions for, I've now got 15 bags of 40 with questions eek.

I barely see my wife too😪 hers is a front line unit and that means they have to be ready to be a first response force if theres a war, so all of the squadron are staying on base. We can meet at a park bench on base both wearing full face masks for a max of 15 minutes 3 times a week, no hugging or kissing either. Its awful, stupid federal government for allowing foreign tourists, stupid state government for folding to federal pressure and easing our borders and restrictions, stupid Omicron!

Just watching an online lecture with 160 students being split into groups, and made to cooperate... poorly 😁

On 2/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, KittyFit90 said:

Group projects suck ass, in my experience groups never work...

Especially when it's basically throwing a bunch of strangers together and expecting them to find the time to fit the project on everyone's schedule.. 😅

On another note, my astma may be making a comeback... after like 8 years of nothing

• Sad 1

1 week down, 1 to go. Very tired but coping fine. Teaching for 7 hours a day for a whole week is very different from a couple of hours a day! My regular hours are so much easier lol I've got my usual 'Post K-Pg Evolution: The Rise of Mammals' topic 1st semester and then my new and improved 'The Paleontology of Evolution: Extinction, Adaptation and Change' in 2nd semester. And of course the field school in the mid year break, though I'm only a co-teacher on that one.

Online learning is great, I can sit at my desk and record the lectures and not actually have to to talk to anyone lols I can even make my totally lame nerd jokes and not have to look at the rolled eyes or hear the groans🤣 Oh and none of these students have met me, so they don't know I'm so short... though I guess they know I look like I'm 15 and such a dork...😪 probs the cartoon t-rex t-shirt doesn't help either lols

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh, the world is poo🙁

How is everyone going? All good here, though still don't see my Mrs... she's been in Japan the last 2 weeks anyway but COVID isolation for her unit is still in effect.😞 On a positive note, work is fun, I bought a huge blow up T-Rex and put it in my office so it sits behind me when I record the lectures haha🤣

On 3/2/2022 at 12:50 PM, KittyFit90 said:

Sigh, the world is poo🙁

How is everyone going? All good here, though still don't see my Mrs... she's been in Japan the last 2 weeks anyway but COVID isolation for her unit is still in effect.😞 On a positive note, work is fun, I bought a huge blow up T-Rex and put it in my office so it sits behind me when I record the lectures haha🤣

I've been doing fine, except that I keep forgetting to do certain assignments 😅

Have been playing loads of GRID Legends with its release... maybe a bit too much! It's quite a bit of fun, and it being arcade certainly isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Makes it easy to just start up and drive

Haha do your assignments lol, your poor hardworking and underpaid lecturers don't need the hassle!🤣

Looks like my wife's squadron will come out of its COVID isolation mid march, finally gonna see her!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I'm so dumb, case in point today!

Me when I got to work this morning "hmm why is there hardly anyone here?" wanders around for a bit trying to find a colleague in my department but no luck "Oh I wonder if it's a public holiday" checks phone "I'm such a dumbass!" enjoys unexpected day off doing some gardening. LOLS🤣

• Haha 1

State election today, choice of the incumbent centre right party or the centre left party. The centre right party have botched Covid and had a few corruption issues (nothing serious), they also scrapped the V8 Adelaide 500 which sucks ass and they have not approved any of my research grant requests! The centre left party governed for nearly 20 years but lost 4 years ago, they give lots of research grants yay! They are expected to win comfortably according to the polls, I know who I voted for 😁

Bad news though, my wife's squadron is staying in isolation another month, found out this morning 😞 I quote "we're a combat unit Kitty, I can't have half the squadron absent from duty with Covid if a war starts' ... very sad today 😞

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, KittyFit90 said:

Haha do your assignments lol, your poor hardworking and underpaid lecturers don't need the hassle!🤣

Speaking of this, had to write an apology email late last night for missing a deadline, although I think I got bonus points from writing in Japanese 😅 

One of the best languages for apologies, certainly when compared to what I'd say in Finnish!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UP100 said:

Speaking of this, had to write an apology email late last night for missing a deadline, although I think I got bonus points from writing in Japanese 😅 

One of the best languages for apologies, certainly when compared to what I'd say in Finnish!

Good on yah, if I got an apology letter from a student I'd be lenient too... I'm known as a hard marker in my department, this year I'm trying to add 5% to everyone's grade to be a little more fair.

• 4 weeks later...

RIP Amelie the Beagle, my companion and best buddy for nearly 18 years, passed away peacefully in her sleep April 4th 2022😢

I've been really upset for the last week, I still am. I'm crying again now, I loved her so much...I will miss her forever:classic_love:

• Sad 1