Jump to content Jump to content

No it was a Netgear one as had BT home hub before and it was crap. Just bought an Asus dual-band n600 as it seems to have good performance. Just got to go home and set it up now.

Having no internet for hours made me realise how much I rely on it....

Hughesy said:

No it was a Netgear one as had BT home hub before and it was crap. Just bought an Asus dual-band n600 as it seems to have good performance. Just got to go home and set it up now.

Too true. Internet and technology.

I occasionally have multiple hours long power cuts, and it's like ah no problem, I'll just go on my laptop... No internet and battery runs out. Oh no problem, I'll just go on my tablet... No internet and battery runs out. Oh no problem I'll just turn on a lamp and read on my nook. No lamp. Battery lasts forever.

Ok I'll just make some food... Cooker is electric. 

Hughesy said:

I occasionally have multiple hours long power cuts, and it's like ah no problem, I'll just go on my laptop... No internet and battery runs out. Oh no problem, I'll just go on my tablet... No internet and battery runs out. Oh no problem I'll just turn on a lamp and read on my nook. No lamp. Battery lasts forever.

Whats that?

Hughesy said:

Lol, all setup now although had to get info from BT for ISP user name/password and then couldn't get it to work. I'd already setup the new router before ringing them and put my normal password and user name for connecting to the wifi as I thought that was what it wanted. When I redid it properly It was quick and easy, I feel so stupid now. :(

Hughesy said:

Whats that?

Hughesy said:

may depend on where you are though as we use BT in my house and it works just fine for us. although I'm using Homeplugs for both my PC and XB1 as they're too far away from the Hub to work wirelessly

To console myself with not getting a job in my degree field, I have bought a Chromebook and I'm typing this post from it! It took literally 45 seconds to set up. 

Now, to hack it and get steam on it and then stream all my games to it. Genius!

Hughesy said:

may depend on where you are though as we use BT in my house and it works just fine for us. although I'm using Homeplugs for both my PC and XB1 as they're too far away from the Hub to work wirelessly

That's my point, the home hub has very poor range and suffers from blind spots. Most routers should be ok in a normal sized house but the hub isn't, which is why reviews are poor. 

Right, I think I want to tell you about my birthday. In fact, I will tell you about it because I'm flippin' excited.

So today I turned 17 years old and that of course means that I am now able to learn to drive. I woke up this morning and found out that my parents had bought me some driving lessons and I had my first lesson earlier on today! The instructor was so relaxed and he has a Ford Fiesta. Today was more talking about the basics of a car, the clutch, safety, etc. Anyway, I did manage to drive for about 15 minutes in the hour lesson and I'm pleased to report that it all went really well! I didn't stall once, and I didn't seem to go at the typical learner speeds. Maybe I did on the approaches to corners but on the roads I seemed to be bang on the limit which was good. Hopefully it will continue like this and I can't wait to getting closer to taking the test!

Also, and this is amazing, my parents, and both sets of grandparents all clubbed together and bought me a car!!! I was literally speechless when I first saw it and I feel so blessed! (Yes, I know I sound like Lewis Hamilton here) It's a 2009 Mini One, cream colour with one previous owner, and only 33k miles done on it! No scratches, it's like it's brand new. Incredible.

Words cannot describe how I'm feeling right now. To have a car that I can call my own is just immense!

I'll get some photos of it up soon!

• UP100 pinned this topic
  • UP100 featured this topic