The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Now I really want to see him race that :joy: Maybe Codemasters could add it as a bonus car to F1 15...

Hughesy said:
Now I really want to see him race that :joy: Maybe Codemasters could add it as a bonus car to F1 15...

maybe it'll show up at Goodwood or something :p

I like how he stacks the skulls of his victims on the front wing.

That surely doesn't break any helmet livery changes, it's clearly still the same driver.

I don't normally do this, but I think this could create an interesting discussion. I've written an article for Formula Update (clickety click) about how I think F1 can be improved and want your thoughts.

I'll read the whole thing properly when I go to bed later but you have some good points there. Especially the fan interaction (and social media), which is dismal in Formula 1.

They need to take a leaf out of the WEC and Formula E's book. They upload short highlights of the races while they happen on Twitter and later to YouTube as well. The paddock was completely free, open and access-all-areas when I went to Silverstone for the WEC, it was so cool! Can't imagine F1 doing that unfortunately,

Heck, as I was walking out of the toilets, Neel Jani walked in to relieve himself! Imagine that with someone like Sergio Perez in F1.

I'll read the whole thing properly when I go to bed later but you have some good points there. Especially the fan interaction (and social media), which is dismal in Formula 1.

They need to take a leaf out of the WEC and Formula E's book. They upload short highlights of the races while they happen on Twitter and later to YouTube as well. The paddock was completely free, open and access-all-areas when I went to Silverstone for the WEC, it was so cool! Can't imagine F1 doing that unfortunately,

Heck, as I was walking out of the toilets, Neel Jani walked in to relieve himself! Imagine that with someone like Sergio Perez in F1.
BTCC was used as my example twice, but again at the BTCC the pit lane is wide open (until the racing starts) and a Clio cup driver said hello to me when he was going to the loo :p 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32719280
  Thought I'd post this given it sounds interesting

f1 tends to shoot itself in the foot, was it 2012 when we had 7 different winners from first 7 races? if its not broke don't try to fix it. they say they want to save money then bring out these crazy expensive engines, its like the blind leading the blind.

Yeah, that is true. Look at 2006, 2007 and 2008 though, all of those titles were close run things, and yet they still made changes for 2009? Why? The period from 2005-2008 was one of the best. Sure, 2010 and 2012 were really good, but since 2012, we haven't really had a good year IMO. 2013 and 2014 were average and 2015 looks to be heading that way tbh...If Vettel and Kimi cannot spice it up.
2009 was alright, but that was only because Brawn couldn't develop their car like everyone else, so from about race 7 or 8 it was a massive game of catch up. Only the second half was really that good. 

Yeah I don't like all the constant negatives around F1. Yeah there's obviously stuff wrong with it but why not focus on the many positives too?

If I had to rank years in terms of my personal enjoyment (since 2007), I would go for...
1) 2012, probably because I thought some of the cars looked amazing, good success for the Brits, lots of winners
2) 2008, because there were some cracking races, amazing title decider and Lewis won of course
3) 2010, because it just felt good, Mercedes and Schumacher are back, close fight between McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull
4) 2014, a good battle between the Mercs, emergence of Ricciardo and Bottas, resurgence of Williams and Ferrari and Red Bull weren't good
5) 2007, as Hamilton joined and he was epic, just loved the 2007 McLaren car too. Some dull races but good overall
6) 2009, as it was nice to have a massive shake up in the teams and drivers. McLaren and Ferrari were slow and Brawn and Red Bull suddenly come out victorious, but some dull races
7) 2013, was good for the first half of the year with a close fight on the cards, but the second half was zzzz
8) 2011, Vettel dominance, didn't like the look of the cars, only good races were Canada and Hungary. 

For me I'd put (From my point of view, as a Vettel, Kimi and Lotus fan). 

1) 2010 - 4 way title fight at the last race. Doesn't get much better than that.
2) 2012 - Lots of competition and good title fight
3) 2008 - There was lots of good races and a good title fight, so it was overall a pretty decent season. 
4) 2007  - Close title fight, although 2008 was better race for race IMO.
5) 2009 - Lots of randomness involved, really shaken up. 
6) 2013 - The first half was good, and although the second half was not that good, I was happy to see Vettel win.
7) 2011 - Now it was not a terrible season, but it was kind of predictable. Not as dominant as Mercedes, if it wasn't for the fact it was Vettel winning, I would have been pretty bored too I imagine. But I can't really complain.
8) 2014 - Meh, there were some good elements, but I got really sick of Mercedes. I don't support either of them, so there was no real interest in the title fight for me. I preferred a Hamilton win, and I always thought he was due a second (and even 3rd). Don't really think Nico was a worthy champion.
Vettel and Kimi struggled too, which just compounded the misery for me. Couldn't wait for it to be over. Lotus were bad too. Everyone I liked did poorly last year, not to mention how Man United did last year. 2014 was pretty miserable for me, sports wise. By far the worst from my perspective. 

If 2015 is another Mercedes battle, it will probably slot in just above 2014. But if Ferrari (Most likely Vettel) can get in there and challenge to the end, maybe it will be around 3rd - 5th. Don't really see anything topping 2010 and 2012 soon. 

It's great hearing how a Vettel fan felt last season, many non Vettel fans felt the exact same way from 2011 to 2013 ;) Long may Mercedes dominate!

It's great hearing how a Vettel fan felt last season, many non Vettel fans felt the exact same way from 2011 to 2013 ;) Long may Mercedes dominate!
Lol. You can't really complain about 2012 though, that was a genuinely good year for F1. Although you may be enjoying it right now, and you have every right too, 2014 was probably a negative year for F1. Outsiders looking in would probably get bored of Mercedes domination, much like 2011 and 2013's second half. 

AMS97KRR said:
Lol. You can't really complain about 2012 though, that was a genuinely good year for F1. Although you may be enjoying it right now, and you have every right too, 2014 was probably a negative year for F1. Outsiders looking in would probably get bored of Mercedes domination, much like 2011 and 2013's second half. 
It was a great year right up until Vettel was gifted the positions he needed for the 3rd WDC. After that it became a heartbreak lol :p 

It might have been, but for me having a different team out front was what made 2014 a good season to me bud, I'd gotten sick of the level of domination RB had gotten to. A key difference too though is when Red Bull were always winning, it'd wouldn't be "Red Bull will win again", it was "Vettel will win again". At least now it's "Mercedes will win again" because they have 2 drivers capable of it, and it isn't just a 1 horse race.

AMS97KRR said:
It was a great year right up until Vettel was gifted the positions he needed for the 3rd WDC. After that it became a heartbreak lol :p 

It might have been, but for me having a different team out front was what made 2014 a good season to me bud, I'd gotten sick of the level of domination RB had gotten to. A key difference too though is when Red Bull were always winning, it'd wouldn't be "Red Bull will win again", it was "Vettel will win again". At least now it's "Mercedes will win again" because they have 2 drivers capable of it, and it isn't just a 1 horse race.
Haha, must have sucked :p 

Yeah, I can totally understand why you'd find it interesting, but a combination of my drivers/team doing poorly and the disappointment of  having another dominant car just killed it for me. I was really hoping for a 2010 esque season. And yeah, other than 2010, Vettel dominated Webber, and I get why that is boring for people, 2013 was not a fun year, second half at least. It was good to look at in terms of achievements for my favourite driver, but the actual racing was not great. 
In my opinion though, a Vettel-Hamilton title fight would be more interesting than Nico-Hamilton. Two different teams always makes it better for me. I mean it doesn't have to be Vettel or Lewis, it could be Alonso in a Ferrari and Button in a Williams. it is just much better that way, for me. 
Plus, I don't think Nico is champion material, and I think Vettel is better. 

Even though Vettel has done well so far, except for Malaysia and Bahrain, this season has been pretty dull too. Kind of obvious at this point that it will be Merc, Merc, Ferrari. And that is most likely Lewis, Rosberg, Vettel. 

:grin: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/15/strategy-group-plans-return-of-refuelling-free-tyre-choice-and-cars-five-seconds-quicker/

Why refuelling, why?

Don't understand the Strategy Group sometimes. They look like they're making progress and then they suddenly muck it up with some stupid ideas.

They don't need to improve the show, just simplify it and it'll be fine.