F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-monza-second-quicker-f1-cars-2017/

Slight changes, I'm going to wait and see how it pans out. I'm just mostly surprised they (re-)add a gravel trap instead of removing another.

Im a bit unsure on the changes. The retifilio is a great overtaking place, especially on the first lap and I love the Curva Grande. Silverstone was ruined when they changed it for bikes, I hope they don't do it here too. Equally, higher speeds will be cool and the track will flow better, but that is a very long run to the first breaking zone and with cold breaks on the first lap at high speed we could see a massive crash.

I like the look of the changes. Should be a good test for the drivers, can't see the chicane being taken that slowly either so could lead to mistakes in the run up to Retifilio. Positive changes for a change.

fIsince08 said:
and with cold breaks on the first lap
with cold breaks
cold breaks
breaks
BREAKS
pfftyouughhaarrrrghspellingtotallywrongpfffft

But I like the changes, Curva Grande was never challenging in the first place with the chicane, and now the new one will make that right hand kink a challenge.

MBKF1 said:
fIsince08 said:
and with cold breaks on the first lap
with cold breaks
cold breaks
breaks
BREAKS
pfftyouughhaarrrrghspellingtotallywrongpfffft

But I like the changes, Curva Grande was never challenging in the first place with the chicane, and now the new one will make that right hand kink a challenge.
Argh! That's because I was on my phone!

Platy said:
I like the look of the changes. Should be a good test for the drivers, can't see the chicane being taken that slowly either so could lead to mistakes in the run up to Retifilio. Positive changes for a change.
So do I  it looks to me they're only trying to tweak the track rather than make big changes to it. I think they're aware that Monza is considered a classic high speed race track and that they shouldn't take that away from it. Because it's that high speed nature of it that people love and why for me the Italian GP and Monza deserves it's spot on the F1 calendar. Because it's one of the few tracks we have left that I would put up there with the classic monster of the old Hockenheimring.

Onboard lap of Baku                                https://youtu.be/EQgAET0KczI

That looks terrible on paper and even worse via the camera angle above. Seriously, who OK'd this?

Baku-F1-Street-Circuit-rev1png

At least it's wide I prefer wider street tracks, gives the driver a little bit more room to manoeuvre guess we won't know 100% how it'll go until we see the cars race on it though. Kind of reminds me of footage I've seen of the old Phoenix track  from the early 90's and was on the first Geoff Crammond F1 game

Kind of reminds me of footage I've seen of the old Phoenix track
YOUR ALARM BELLS YOUR ALARM BELLS THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING

The track looks awful,  why do we keep losing good tracks and go to places with little interest for the sport. A lot of it comes down to how much they charge tracks for the privilege to have F1.

Mexicola said:
Kind of reminds me of footage I've seen of the old Phoenix track
YOUR ALARM BELLS YOUR ALARM BELLS THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING THEY SHOULD BE RINGING
I don't have any alarm bells to ring. Besides I'd prefer to give the track a chance before dismissing it.

RICKWR88 said:
turn 8 to 11 will be dangerous on we conditions...

motor racing is dangerous full stop anyway. But seeing as there is  a while yet until the race happens we should wait for the weather forecast before we worry about that.

I highly doubt that this track is going to produce any sought of decent racing, that being said I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

RICKWR88 said:
turn 8 to 11 will be dangerous on we conditions...
Turn 8 to 11 is dangerous to my health in dry weather conditions, as I will die from laughter at the sight of anyone attempting an overtake prior to those corners.

I'm gonna wait until the race to decide if I like it, but I have good first impressions. It's refreshing to see something a bit different than the regular boring circuits of this modern age.

MBKF1 said:
I'm gonna wait until the race to decide if I like it, but I have good first impressions. It's refreshing to see something a bit different than the regular boring circuits of this modern age.

Agreed the best way to judge a new track is to wait and see it in action we may be pleasantly surprised and work out well. Some of the tracks that have been added recently have.

Great yet another obnoxiously long main straight -_- Seriously, does anyone benifit from it other then Mercedes ? The Mclaren Honda will have broken down before it gets to the end of the straight :D (I'm talking about Monza btw) And yes I am looking at you: Bahrain, Malaysia, Baku, Mexico (and theres alot more where that came from)

Reub09 said:
Great yet another obnoxiously long main straight -_- Seriously, does anyone benifit from it other then Mercedes ? The Mclaren Honda will have broken down before it gets to the end of the straight :D (I'm talking about Monza btw) And yes I am looking at you: Bahrain, Malaysia, Baku, Mexico (and theres alot more where that came from)
The fans? As a general rule of thumb, long straights provide more overtaking. Two of the circuits you mentioned there, Bahrain and Malysia, being an example of some of the best circuits for racing on the calendar. 

VetteIfan said:
Reub09 said:
The fans? As a general rule of thumb, long straights provide more overtaking. Two of the circuits you mentioned there, Bahrain and Malysia, being an example of some of the best circuits for racing on the calendar. 

yeah indeed most of the overtaking I've don in F1 games has been at the end of those straights going into the following corners. I actually prefer tracks with long straights prsonally

https://twitter.com/GrandPrixDiary/status/740187250605076480

CANADIAN GP HYPE.