The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Very good program on at the moment on Sky  F1 about Rosberg and what Mercedes should/could do.

GP2 engine, not sure Mercedes would want the hassle, but I'd love a Hamilton Alonso rivalry again.

For my big essay project I have to do over Christmas, I've decided to write about the advertising in Formula 1, and the commercial aspects of it.

Obviously I've got some ideas already, but in case I've forgotten anything, do any of you think of anything in particular when it comes to advertising in F1? Anything in detail that comes under these kind of bullet points for example...

- FOM TV coverage (CGI adverts, how the shots are directed to include adverts where possible, etc)
- Famous F1 sponsors past / present (Rolex, Fosters, RBS, Emirates, Bridgestone, Heineken, etc)
- Famous F1 team sponsors past / present (Marlboro, Red Bull, Benson & Hedges, 7up, Vodafone, etc)
- Advertising techniques (Red Bull show runs, McLaren Santander adverts, competitions, etc)
- Circuit identity (Abu Dhabi sea blue run offs, COTA red outlines, Bahrain colourful swirls on run offs, etc)

Literally anything you can think of, big or small, post it here and it may set off a spark of ideas for me!

When you say circuit identity, do you also mean things like the Silverstone wing or Ferrari World? Things dotted around the circuit? @MBKF1

You might want to look at the differences between F1 coverage in Europe compared to USA. The US has a TON of commerical breaks during the race which can be really illtimed and sometimes they come after only a few laps. 

You mignt also also want to look at it being broadcasted on almost exclusively paid tv channels. And how advertising and subscriptions are balanced or not. 

AMS97KRR said:
When you say circuit identity, do you also mean things like the Silverstone wing or Ferrari World? Things dotted around the circuit? @MBKF1
Yep, things like that are perfect, thanks
You might want to look at the differences between F1 coverage in Europe compared to USA. The US has a TON of commerical breaks during the race which can be really illtimed and sometimes they come after only a few laps. 

You mignt also also want to look at it being broadcasted on almost exclusively paid tv channels. And how advertising and subscriptions are balanced or not. 
Thanks man, all great ideas, really appreciate it.

Oh wait, now I do remember seeing it in MotoGP!

To be honest, my innocent 12 year old mind never understood that, hence why I never remembered!

fIsince08 said:
Paddy Lowe is rumored to be leaving Mercedes and Ferrari are rumoured to be signing him...

And now one day later:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-f1-tech-chief-lowe-set-for-shock-williams-switch-858449/

Yet again, you really need to check your sources Mr Monsieur. 

It's funny how things come around though, this is literally the Red Bull story all over again. A new team at the top that beats everyone for years, before they rapidly disband in a short space of time. The second driver retires, the head guru gets bored and steps back from his role/moves on. Now just Lewis to Ferrari in 2018 to complete the process. 

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
Paddy Lowe is rumored to be leaving Mercedes and Ferrari are rumoured to be signing him...
It's funny how things come around though, this is literally the Red Bull story all over again. A new team at the top that beats everyone for years, before they rapidly disband in a short space of time. The second driver retires, the head guru gets bored and steps back from his role/moves on. Now just Lewis to Ferrari in 2018 to complete the process. 
Do you know what, I would not be surprised in the slightest if that happens.

As you say, a team's success never lasts forever, and it's usually about 3-5 years before they start to crumble. I am in no doubt that Lewis will be thinking heavily about this and he'll be at another team by 2019, if not 2018, if Mercedes happen to have a particularly weak 2017.

And I am 99% sure that team will be Ferrari. Red Bull seemingly isn't an option due to their young driver programme, so possibly McLaren if they finally get their act together, but I think Ferrari will be the one.

Everyone thought Lewis was mad to leave McLaren for Mercedes, but it turned out to be the best move of recent times. People would say exactly the same if he moved to Ferrari, but the very same thing could definitely happen.

If, and this is a big if, Lewis does go to Ferrari and has another 2-3 years of dominance then it'll be another complete master stroke. Total opposite to Fernando Alonso for example, who left McLaren at their most recent peak, then joined Ferrari just as Red Bull started to win everything, and then back to McLaren, just as they entered their worst period in over 30 years.

I'm not so sure about Mercedes losing their edge that soon. Paddy "might" be off to another team, but it seems like James Allison would replace him in such a scenario. Plus, the key personnel responsible for the development of the car is still bound to stay for a further few years.

I'm not writing Mercedes off just yet.

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:

And now one day later:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-f1-tech-chief-lowe-set-for-shock-williams-switch-858449/

Yet again, you really need to check your sources Mr Monsieur. 

Oi, it was half right!

Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis also designed the last 3 Merc's with Paddy Lowe, so if Lowe really does go to Williams then at least they still have 2 of the 3 brains who came up with the car :p

I'm not so sure about Mercedes losing their edge that soon. Paddy "might" be off to another team, but it seems like James Allison would replace him in such a scenario. Plus, the key personnel responsible for the development of the car is still bound to stay for a further few years.

I'm not writing Mercedes off just yet.
True, it would be foolish to write them off. They have experience, excellent staff, and lots and lots of money.
Then again, when we saw a similar rule change in 2009, the old top dogs, McLaren and Ferrari, were nowhere to be found near the top.

Juice29 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38282791

Interesting developments
Along with Wehrlein the most obvious choice. The most exciting choices (Ricciardo, Alonso, Sainz) are all unlikely due to contracts and 2007 championship year.

And now L'Equipe is saying that Williams is talking with Massa about a comeback. Would probably be the worst driver package on the grid.

If Bottas does go to Mercedes then he's going to need to step up his game a lot. I mean against Massa who hasn't been the same since 08 what has he done. All this hype about him, but really he hasn't shown anything. Isn't Toto his agent or something, surely that's going to cause a conflict of interest and increase the crazy conspiracies :joy: