The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

From Mercedes' viewpoint I can definitely see why Bottas would be a good choice. Solid number 2, fast enough to pick up the points to deliver another constructors' championship. What more do they need when they have Hamilton as well?

But as a fan, I think a much more exciting choice would be Sainz. He had a brilliant year, which I don't think got enough recognition. Only problem is Red Bull will never let him go because they know how good he is, and they don't want him getting in the way of them.

I really hope it happens though, I'd be so happy for him. From being beaten to the Red Bull seat by Verstappen to potentially beating him in a Mercedes the following year, would be incredible.

Remember when Bottas was the next big thing back in 2014? lol. He's been average for years and it looks like he's going to get rewarded for that with a Mercedes seat :| Uninspiring choice. 

He's like a diet coke version of Mika, laid back and living the "Finnish way" but without all the unintentional hilarity, character and world champion talent that comes with it. The Mercedes press officers will love him but for everyone else it's going to be pretty dull.

Choosing Bottas would have a bit of irony. In 2007 Hamilton was beaten to the championship, and the next year he would have a new teammate, who would be by an uninspiring Finn by the name of Kovalainen. 

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-accepts-offer-to-stay-at-williams-in-2017-860616/

Looks like Bottas to Merc is imminent. Massa is agreeing to stay at Williams, so either Bottas is getting screwed or going to Merc.  

Massa coming back to race in 2017.

At this point, he's just a very below average driver, probably the worst on the grid, who is taking chances away from drivers who can actually achieve something in their career.

Jesús Christ.                                                                     

Bad moves across the board. I think the only winner is Bottas getting a Merc ride.  Both teams could have made better choices...

WILL BUXTON REPLIED TO ME ON REDDIT.

As an enormous fan of his work, it is an honour to have his very eyes stumble across my pathetic and useless opinions on Formula 1.

http://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/australia-china-2017-compounds
After a very positive testing programme with the new sizes Pirelli has decided to additionally homologate a back-up compound alongside each of the five new base compounds. These extra compounds are formulated using more traditional criteria compared to the new base compounds.

In other words: They want to avoid a repeat of the Silverstone 2013 disaster.

Ross Brawn has been talking about F1 from 2020 onwards and what to do with the engine regulations. He said F1 can either go loud again or go full electric with a fuel cell, which of course would be silent.

What would you guys do? Personally I would create a split formula, 2.5L V12s with KERS or 3.0L supercharged V10 also with KERS.

My opinion is we already have Formula E. Anyone talking about electrical energy should be horsewhipped.

Only thing I worry about is major manufacturers like Mercedes dropping out because everybody is on the nuts of these hybrid e-life and ********************************************************************** Pikachu.

As much as I love huge engines and turbos to make the machines bonkers I realize how incredibly old that technology is. So at some point continuing to those kind of engines and systems it's no longer the pinnacle of Motorsport. I think the current hybrids are great, they are technological marvels. They suffer from a number of flaws of course (noise, expense, complexity). But they make even more power than traditional engines did a few decades ago and if complexity can be reined in things could develop much further. Hybrids are literally the perfect combo of old and new. I think the best thing to happen to Le Mans was hybrids, why can't we say the same about F1? 

I also think that electric is the future. Yes we have Formula E but let's be real, it's a stunt. It certainly works but it is never going to replace F1. I think F1 is heading (probably +10 years away) to fully electric cars, and that okay. By that time the electric engine will be nothing like the current systems we have. If F1 developed it I bet it would match the most recent V8s. Sound will still be an issue for us longtime hardcore F1 fans, but it just means F1 has redefined itself (something it desperately needs). 

As much as I love huge engines and turbos to make the machines bonkers I realize how incredibly old that technology is. So at some point continuing to those kind of engines and systems it's no longer the pinnacle of Motorsport. I think the current hybrids are great, they are technological marvels. They suffer from a number of flaws of course (noise, expense, complexity). But they make even more power than traditional engines did a few decades ago and if complexity can be reined in things could develop much further. Hybrids are literally the perfect combo of old and new. I think the best thing to happen to Le Mans was hybrids, why can't we say the same about F1? 

I also think that electric is the future. Yes we have Formula E but let's be real, it's a stunt. It certainly works but it is never going to replace F1. I think F1 is heading (probably +10 years away) to fully electric cars, and that okay. By that time the electric engine will be nothing like the current systems we have. If F1 developed it I bet it would match the most recent V8s. Sound will still be an issue for us longtime hardcore F1 fans, but it just means F1 has redefined itself (something it desperately needs). 
Admittedly this is where I struggle. I never know where we should go, I desperately want loud engines again but they only really came into play in the late 80s. The 50s cars were quieter than the current ones (I've seen Sterling Moss drive a 50s Mercedes at Silverstone, it was hard to hear) and apparently the 80s turbos were quieter than the current ones too (I'm not sure about this). But we also need to get the right mix of noise for the fans and technology for the manufacturers.

I'd go for the one that may give us exciting races again. I don't know which one that may be but I really miss the slightly unpredictable ways that F1 of the past was. 

It's just really shit now.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure where I stand on it myself.

On the one hand, electric power is absolutely the future, and as the pinnacle of motorsport, F1 should definitely be using it and innovating new electrical systems.

But on the other hand, there's the die hard fan who loves the noise of the old engines, and we won't have that with electrical power. I went to see the cars testing this year at Silverstone, and I was completely and utterly underwhelmed. I know I explained it at the time, but the thing that gave me that buzz when I was 5 years old was the bone shaking noise. It was just pants in comparison, so I don't even want to imagine what it might be like in the future.

I wish we could stick to what we have at the moment, a combination of engine and electrics, while somehow boosting the noise. I don't care what sort of noise it is, just as long as it's loud, and as long as the cars look fast, which hopefully they will this year onwards. 

MBKF1 said:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure where I stand on it myself.

On the one hand, electric power is absolutely the future, and as the pinnacle of motorsport, F1 should definitely be using it and innovating new electrical systems.

But on the other hand, there's the die hard fan who loves the noise of the old engines, and we won't have that with electrical power. I went to see the cars testing this year at Silverstone, and I was completely and utterly underwhelmed. I know I explained it at the time, but the thing that gave me that buzz when I was 5 years old was the bone shaking noise. It was just pants in comparison, so I don't even want to imagine what it might be like in the future.

I wish we could stick to what we have at the moment, a combination of engine and electrics, while somehow boosting the noise. I don't care what sort of noise it is, just as long as it's loud, and as long as the cars look fast, which hopefully they will this year onwards. 
Kinda this. I like the noise of the current cars, there just isn't enough of it! I'd like to increase the rev limit a bit too tbh.

There needs to be a big discussion about what F1 is. Now I'd say that it's supposed to be the best drivers in the best cars racing on the best tracks, but that opens up the discussion of what "best cars" are. Definitely the fastest, but then do we class "best" as most advanced or the most spectacular? With hybrid tech around, it seems impossible to have both.

We do need more noise though, I was a little disappointed when I went to Silverstone as you can't hear the cars coming at all. I was stood just before the braking zone for Brooklands and couldn't hear the car until I saw it. That's not right, especially when I heard the GP2 cars along the whole of the Vale before I saw them.

Another reason to go down the pub, kill me, kill me now. Think I'll have to find a way to go this year before its possibly too late. 
https://twitter.com/ITVJoel/status/817069774287044608

I think there's a bit of a misconception here about the noise factor. The main contributors towards the lower noise is a) the turbo and b) the lower rev limit. It's not directly due to the hybrid and electrical systems. The problem is that the turbo is intergrated with the MGU-H, so if you take the turbo off you're also removing one half of the hybrid stuff. 

My point is though that electrical power doesn't automatically mean bad noise. Toyota ran a naturally aspirated V8 with a super capacitor system in their WEC car until the end of 2015. That thing sounded phenomenal, produced close to 1000bhp and won the championship in 2014 (have a look for an onboard lap on YouTube). Once again though, the problem seems to be that manufacturers in F1 are set on turbocharging as the way forward for road vehicles, and that's why any such system will probably not even be considered for F1.

And that's the problem. It's been put off for now but sooner or later, when electrical power does become the primary resource in motoring, F1 will have to decide whether it is still a sport or whether it's just become a technical exercise. Which (to nicely bring this back round to the original point) is what Ross is eluding to. 

The name of Ferrari's new car is going to be very controversial. I'm sworn to secrecy on what it is, but it is certainly interesting.