The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Mexicola said:
fIsince08 said:
The name of Ferrari's new car is going to be very controversial. I'm sworn to secrecy on what it is, but it is certainly interesting.
Tell that Monsieur_F1 character he needs beaten with a club and left bleeding in the moonlight.
Quoting George Carlin? Props, if so.
u no it son                                                              

They have hinted at going to old colours plenty of times in the past, yet always opt for something bland. So I wouldn't get your  hopes up.

If it's the livery I've seen on Vandoorne's Insta with a pre-dominantly black car with orange lines like it's 2000 again, I'm going to bomb the paddock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38713153

Ecclestone could be gone by the end of the month and be replaced by three people, including Ross Brawn.

Hold your horses until it happens, then let out a massive cheer!

I'd miss Ecclestone tbh. He's iconic. He's a gangsta. Straight up gangsta. Real O.G.
Insert hip-hop terminology that confuses you. Despite all of his antics, I would still honestly miss him.

I will miss him too, he's brought the sport to incredible new heights, but I do think Formula 1 would thrive under some new leadership. A fresh approach could be just what we need.

There's no doubt Bernie has done great things for the sport. But it really is time for new leadership. The world has progressed far beyond Bernie's understanding and ultimately that means the future of F1 is in jeopardy. 

I think the best news to come out of it is Ross Brawn's speculative role as sporting creator (or some such title). Having him in control of the rules and regulation of F1 I think will do wonders for the sport from a competitive stand point. This coupled with Liberty suggesting equal distribution of funds amongst the team could lead to some really fantastic racing. 

fIsince08 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38713153

Ecclestone could be gone by the end of the month and be replaced by three people, including Ross Brawn.
Gone already, it would seem.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-confirms-chase-carey-has-replaced-him-as-ceo-of-f1-868019/

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ross-brawn-lands-key-role-in-new-look-f1-structure-868065/

Welcome back, Ross. Couldn't be more delighted to see you back in the sport :)

I've been trying to figure out for a while now why Chase Carey seemed so familiar even though I hadn't seen him before he attended a GP. And it's just clicked...

He shall forever be known as Mugatu to me now.

I wonder if the new management will ever get F1 fully back on free TV. I doubt it due to Sky ££££, but they should do everything they can to make it happen. I have Sky, but they charge a fortune, especially now there's so many ways to watch content through other means...

This might be a long post, but this is what I hope will happen eventually. I would never have dreamed of anything like this with Bernie in charge, but with Chase Carey and Ross Brawn now at the helm I really hope something like this could happen.

I was too young to remember anything about this, but back in the late 90s there was a service called 'F1 Digital+', which I gather was an enhanced service of the usual world feed (+ on boards, etc), and it was a subscription based service. However, it didn't ever take off and closed in 2002(?).

However, with the social media world we live in today with amazing technology, I think Formula 1 should have another crack at this. FOM should introduce a new subscription based service that anyone in the world can subscribe to. It can be either a race-by-race (£8), monthly (£20), or annual subscription (£150).

This service would give you unlimited access to everything, on as many devices as you like (TV, phone, tablet, laptop, etc). You get all on boards, a pit lane feed, telemetry, live timing, driver trackers, etc, on top of the usual world feed which would come with optional commentary. After the race there would also be extra camera shots of the action that wasn't originally included in the world feed.

The main difference would be that FOM would provide their own pre-race show and debriefs, like what Sky and Channel 4 do at present. As it would be the 'official F1 coverage', I hope they'd be able to assemble some of the best minds in the paddock to give the best insight possible, and pundits would change every race to keep it fresh.

When the races aren't on, your subscription would also give you access to a huge bank of classic races that you can watch whenever you like. These could be 10 minute reviews of races from years gone by, and you can pick whatever ones you like. You can stream them straight to your TV, or watch them on the train to work, whatever you like.

If you're anything like me, the only reason I'd really subscribe to Sky is for the F1 channel, and as Hughesy said, it is ridiculously expensive. Having a service like this would be cheaper than having to pay for the full Sky package, and die hard fans like us can access the most amazing content. It also gives an option to people who don't want to pay for Sky, but still want to watch Formula 1 live.

If something like this was in place now, I'd be signing up faster than I could blink. I'd dream to have something like this.

I dreamt of switching between onboard camera's when I was little, heard F1Digital+ had it and wanted something like it every since.

A service similar to NFL Network or WWE Network that involves live streaming, documentaries and old matches/games would be amazing for F1 and I would sign up faster than you can say #BLESSED. If we'd had that, I would also like to be able to rewatch the race from any onboard camera there was. Like if I decided I wanted to watch the race solely from Marcus Ericsson's onboard feed, I would be able to do that. That's all I ever wanted.

Contracts will probably make it hard if this is what they now want to do for it to happen on short notice, but it's a huge success for the NFL which is a money-making juggernaut, so one can hope.

I agree, it's a great idea. As Jiggy mentions, what you've basically described just there is the exact concept they use for the WWE Network. They charge £10/$10/€10 for at least one pay per view event per month (usually two now since WWE went back to the brand split), plus it features every pay per view event from history which you can access at any time. Plus a host of other featured content. It represents ridiculous value for money considering it's normally around £25 to order each event as a standalone through Sky, without all the added side benefits of the network. 

This same idea could be perfectly copied for F1 races, considering there is normally around 2-3 of those per month too. But I have no idea how you could run such a service alongside Sky F1. They have paid a lot of money for what is soon to be exclusive rights to F1 broadcasting and they aren't likely to give that up. 

I would love a Formula 1 "Go" type service. Sign in on any device and what the races live or on demand. I think the initial problem they will face will be the contracts with the pay networks like Sky or NBCSports. I would imagine that at first the service will only be on demand stuff and not allow you to stream the race live. This way the networks retain their exclusive rights to broadcast or whatever they've contracted for. 

As for classic races that's a different story. I've been reading a lot about classic race broadcasts because I'm starting a blog about classic races. And apparently there is a butt-ton of these amazing quality broadcasts that are just sitting behind locked doors because of licensing and private ownership. So while FOM and F1 may own the footage, they may not have the broadcast rights to provide them to users.

I would love to have classic races on demand though, it would be incredible for long time fans to experience their favorite eras again or experience one's they were too young (or not born yet) to remember. Even new viewers might enjoy seeing the sport's history and might come up with new ideas for where the series could go.

Oh, also, the person running the SantanderGP twitter account ****ed up today and accidentally tweeted the name of the new Ferrari (the tweet has since been deleted). Apparently it's called the SF17-JB.

After the conversation we had a couple of pages back about this, I don't know how that's "close" to Ferrari SS17H-Adolf. But anyway, even though the name sounds a little weird to say it's a nice touch from Ferrari.

Yea, I don't really see how Hitler and Jules Bianchi have anything in common either if I'm totally honest :p

For the more artistic of you guys here, Hamilton wants a fan to design his new helmet for him and if you win you get to meet him and get given a full size signed replica of it :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvD0DDBrac/

Definitely entering this! Got just over a week to come up with the designs so I'd better get to work!

VetteIfan said:
Oh, also, the person running the SantanderGP twitter account ****ed up today and accidentally tweeted the name of the new Ferrari (the tweet has since been deleted). Apparently it's called the SF17-JB.

After the conversation we had a couple of pages back about this, I don't know how that's "close" to Ferrari SS17H-Adolf. But anyway, even though the name sounds a little weird to say it's a nice touch from Ferrari.
I meant it was similar in the sense that it had a name in the title :P 

That is the name I was given so someone at Santander will be getting a P45 shortly I would imagine.

I too have wanted F1 to have a subscription service for a while and whilst I'd do it slightly differently to Matt, I'd take just about anything! I've watched some footage from F1 Digital + and it's so much better than the ITV stuff.

fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:

I meant it was similar in the sense that it had a name in the title :P 
WHAT?! You said the new name would be controversial, and I would understand that if it was named after Adolf Hitler, but I can't see anything controversial naming it after Jules Bianchi?! I think it's an incredibly touching thing to do.

MBKF1 said:
Definitely entering this! Got just over a week to come up with the designs so I'd better get to work!
If I entered this I'd just have a picture of Rosberg holding a white flag.... B)

Hughesy said:
MBKF1 said:
If I entered this I'd just have a picture of Rosberg holding a white flag.... B)

Well, look what someone designed, and Nico replied to it himself!

Unfortunately Nico's now deleted the tweet, but I'm glad he saw it :p 

Haha it's missing the white flag though, I'd also put the words I SURRENDER on it.