The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

The Haas is a shark fin done right. No 90-degree angles and a paint job that actually looks fast. Basically it looks like something Jeremy Clarkson hasn't designed.

Rate the livery!

1) Toro Rosso
2) Renault
3) McLaren
4) Mercedes
5) Sauber
6) Ferrari
7) Red Bull
8) Haas
9) Williams
10) Force India

To be honest, all of them are bloody good this year. If only Williams did something a little more dynamic and Force India just stayed with their existing livery, we'd have a cracking grid.

Hughesy said:
Red flag is out, Red Bull has broken down already I think :joy:
It did 1 timed lap before stopping lol. Toro Rosso are already beating them with the 6 laps on their filming day then!

The Toro Rosso looks pretty good, glad they've finally changed the livery to something more modern and relevant, but it still doesn't beat the Renault for me :p

1) Renault
2) Toro Rosso
3) McLaren
4) Sauber
5) Mercedes
6) Ferrari
7) Red Bull
8) Williams
9) Haas
10) Force India

Purely based on the livery:

1) Toro Rosso <3
2) Sauber ( I love the gold accents)
3) Renault (One word: mean)
4) Mercedes
5) Ferrari
6) Haas
7) McLaren (Would have been so much better with less black and more white)
8) Red Bull
9) Williams (I still like the Martini liverly, but it should be spiced up a bit)
10) Force India (Urgh)

The Toro Rosso is by far the best looking F1 car and livery of the past 10 years or so. It would be even longer without the stupid fin. Shame all the rest have been a let down imo

Ooh hold on a sec, they've done something smart with it :p Look at the giant slot they have along the top edge! Even more like a boat if steam came out of that :D

So the fastest time of the day currently a 1:21.765 on soft tyres. Fastest medium time is a 1:21.878. The fastest time throughout the whole of last season's testing was a 1:22.765 on ultrasofts. 

If if we see the rate of improvements in the lap times that we saw last year, they're going to be comfortably sub 1:20's by the end of the tests, and presumably non of them will even be running at full engine capacity. Sensationally fast.

And just for comparisons sake the Red Bull RB6 did a 1:19.995 in 2010 for pole. That thing did have the title of "the car with the most downforce in the history of Formula 1". That title is probably going to be broken this year :#

VetteIfan said:
And just for comparisons sake the Red Bull RB6 did a 1:19.995 in 2010 for pole. That thing did have the title of "the car with the most downforce in the history of Formula 1". That title is probably going to be broken this year :#
I still to this day remember Mark going flat out through T9 on his pole lap, it was breathtaking to watch.

My livery rankings:

1. Toro Rosso - clean template, chrome paint to resemble the can, three colors to pick from and the right one chosen as the dominant one.

2. Red Bull - matte paint is a continuation of last year's very aggressive look, minimalistic design, it was great last year, it's great this year.

3. Renault - Not as good as last year. High because of the shade of yellow and the straight-forward design of the black half of the car and the yellow lines on them.

4. Mercedes - More Petronas-teal. Minor tweaks to an already good design keeps it high up the list. Would've rated it higher if it added more teal and less black though.

5. Ferrari - It's red.

6. McLaren - The giant swoosh is ugly. However, the livery and its colors can look very good, bright anf colorful from one angle and bleak from another angle. Could've been much better.

7. Williams - No innovation or tweaks whatsoever means it has become less and less interesting as time goes on. Should ask Red Bull for tips on how to improve on a classic design.

8. Haas - It's an improvement on a dull design, the colors are dull and not nearly as aggressive and powerful on a F1-car as it is on the NASCAR of the latest Daytona 500-champion Kurt Busch. It's actually a clean design, but just not interesting. Sauber is a mess, but I like that mess over the Haas. You know what? No. Haas jumps over Sauber. It's boring, but at least it makes sense.

9. Sauber - A much better shade of blue than the plastic lego-blue of last year. I get this messy vibe from the livery. Almost dirty. It's like a vomit of colors and this particular shade of gold doesn't help. Looks okay to quite good from the side, but extremely ugly from the front.

10. Force India - This looks like a bad late 90's West McLaren-Mercedes-cosplay, wtf is this Force India? Looks acceptable from the front, but from the side, it's disgusting. Can't believe Vijay Mallya risked extradition to be present at the launch of that ugly piece of shit. In fact, they should arrest him right now. Between him and Monisha Kaltenborn, I'm starting to think Indian team principals have a repugnant sense for car liveries. Force India is actually one of the more exciting teams in the paddock, could be like a present day Jordan, with an exciting driver line-up, but stuff like this kind of feels like a waste. Do something extravagant with your car man.

11. Safety Car - Looks too much like a Mercedes. Get rid.

I like how McLaren was so boastful during its presentation and Alonso hampered expectations repeatedly stating that they should wait and see. 
Zak Brown: "We're really good this time, everybody is saying it."
Alonso: "Yeah, whatever, you lied to me before, I'm not falling for that again."

And now we have the issues hardly two days into testing.

http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2508414/formula-1-testing-2017-barcelona-f1-test-day-two
I spent a lot of Bottas's race run watching from trackside, and it looked...messy. He had quite a bit of understeer early on when the car was heavy, and it was moving around on him in the corners. The contrast with watching Raikkonen in the Ferrari was huge, although of course Ferrari has been working on a different programme this afternoon. But the car was doing everything Raikkonen would want, and he can attack the apex really well.
Don't get your hopes up Don't get your hopes up Don't get your hopes up 

MercedesWinsLOL replaced by FerrariWinsLOL

VettelWinsLOL will however not make a return

Kimi Raikkonen beating Vettel and winning the championship would be the biggest surprise to everyone, could you imagine?!

Dude, that would be so awesome. He kind of started doing better and better against Vettel last seaosn, did he not? In all the sudden emergence of MAD MAX, you'd almost forget that I'm a Kimi-fan.

This year's Ferrari is the most innovative and exciting they've made in years and years. They have noticeable features on the car which are independent to them, and difficult to copy. Adrian Newey said in an interview yesterday that he still hasn't got his head around what they're doing with their side pod configuration and barge board region.  

The problem is we hear and think this every year with Ferrari in testing and at the start of the season. They are the Arsenal of Formula 1, and like Arsenal fans, Ferrari fans have gradually lost the will to live over the past decade. 

Kimi winning the championship would be more surprising than me dropping my crutches and going for a run :joy: