The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

VetteIfan said:
This year's Ferrari is the most innovative and exciting they've made in years and years. They have noticeable features on the car which are independent to them, and difficult to copy. Adrian Newey said in an interview yesterday that he still hasn't got his head around what they're doing with their side pod configuration and barge board region.  

The problem is we hear and think this every year with Ferrari in testing and at the start of the season. They are the Arsenal of Formula 1, and like Arsenal fans, Ferrari fans have gradually lost the will to live over the past decade. 
OI AND GUESS WHO IS A FERRARI-FAN AND AN ARSENAL-FAN AT THE SAME TIME

THIS LITTLE JIGGY RIGHT HERE AHAHAHAHAHAHHA I AM GOING TO JUMP IN FRONT OF A TRAIN ANY DAY NOW SERIOUSLY SEND HELP this is not a joke i am severely depressed

I blame Arivabene for Ferrari's demised.  I still find it hard to believe he is still employed there. 

At this point I'd see it as a success for Ferrari to be in front of Red Bull.
If they're in front of Mercedes and win the championship - which, of course, is unlikely - then there's a positive chance of me running through the streets celebrating. Only wearing my Ferrari cap.

I think my bros car had a Honda power until. 3 times in the last week he's had a loss of power with a warning light flash on  :joy: 

Mexicola said:
Gary Anderson was also creaming over the Ferrari, so that means it's real.
Usually, the exact opposite of what GA says applies. We'll see about this time, but I do have a feeling Ferrari have built a decent car.

Now I'm a (supposedly) grown up adult, maybe I'll put on a cheap bet for Kimi to win the title.

I've been binge watching a load of Motorsport Magazine podcasts recently, and I'm just watching one with Lee McKensie now (from the start of 2015), and they're talking about Alonso and McLaren.

She was saying how Alonso always seems to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that he's something like 8 points away from being a 5x world champion.

Never thought of it like that before. Unbelievable.

I think MSC wasn't much more away from being a 10x WDC. And Lewis from being a 6xWDC. It's not that uncommon.

If only...                              

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOWSLd53U4

Orgasmic, that noise alone would make F1 exciting to watch again. Changing the look of the cars doesn't make them look faster, but that noise does! 

If the racing was good, people wouldn't notice the sound too much. Sure, it's a bit of a shock when you first hear them, but once you see them going side by side and battling for the lead, you don't really pay attention to it. I'm talking from personal experience here too, Silverstone 2015 was a cracking race and the noise didn't really detract from it - in the same way as it doesn't in the BTCC either. It's a nice addition, but not the highest priority.

The sound was great back in the early 2000s, yet people were complaining about the boring races and lack of overtakes all the time. Had anyone used the argument "but well, the sound is great" back then, (s)he would have been laughed out of the room.

Someone is always going to be disappointed about something.

I'm happy.                                                                                         

I know we should never really feel sorry for F1 drivers, they're all living our dream getting to drive such incredible cars.

But seeing Fernando Alonso's comments today, you've gotta feel for the guy. Honda are worse than last year by the looks of it, they have no reliability, awful power. 26 kph slower on the straights is a life time in Formula 1. No matter how good their aero is, that'll never make up for the complete lack of grunt.

We've missed out on 3 years of Fernando fighting at the front, where he belongs. I hope Bottas proves us all wrong and has a stonking year in the Merc, but part of me hopes Fernando will move there for one final effort before retirement.

But knowing his luck, as soon as he does go to Mercedes, they'll stop winning.

Remember when I said the Ferrari looked slow? Reverse jinx-powers have come back to me. Also, Alonso hates his life so much. He called it during the presentation though. Everybody was so optimistic and he was the only one who kept saying we should wait and see before popping the champagne and he was right.

I know it's just testing, but I can't shake off the feeling that Ferrari is the car to beat atm.

@VetteIfan must be like: https://68.media.tumblr.com/fec198149ed65676b566d1863134efb6/tumblr_nkgkcywOtB1une17mo1_500.gif

I swear we say this every year with Ferrari... :pensive:

I still reckon Mercedes will be the team to beat, and I think Red Bull are playing it cool at the moment and will turn up in Oz and be very competitive.

Who knows what will happen.

I know it's just testing, but I can't shake off the feeling that Ferrari is the car to beat atm.

@VetteIfan must be like: https://68.media.tumblr.com/fec198149ed65676b566d1863134efb6/tumblr_nkgkcywOtB1une17mo1_500.gif

I wish :p

The fact that Lewis is being so openly complimentary of the Ferrari makes me think Mercedes' still have lots of time in hand. If you believe a team is genuinely ahead of you, you don't (or at least shouldn't) try and big them up. Vettel's time today was very good, especially considering he crossed the line ~80kph slower than anyone else, but my gut feeling is Mercedes' are still the best. 

One thing I would say is the top 2 (possibly top 3) teams look like they are an eternity ahead of everyone else. Big rule changes often have the unpleasant bonus of spacing out the field. 

I think the rule changes in general favored Ferrari. But Merc had a lot of time in hand above them last few years that I really don't think it's enough. 

Every year its the same song and dance with Ferrari, "radical changes" "we must win" "the night and passion of Ferrari" etc. and then in round one they're no where. Last year in the US coverage I'm pretty sure every pre-race show included in some form the line "is this the race Ferrari take it to Merc" and it never was. 

I'm a Ferrari fan and nothing would delight me more to watch them win again. But I ain't holding my breath. 

So that's now 4 breakdowns in the last 2 days for McLaren, what a shambolic test they've had so far. They've done zero race distances, they have no power, no reliability. In 3 years they somehow seem to have gotten worse.

VetteIfan said:

I wish :p

The fact that Lewis is being so openly complimentary of the Ferrari makes me think Mercedes' still have lots of time in hand. If you believe a team is genuinely ahead of you, you don't (or at least shouldn't) try and big them up. Vettel's time today was very good, especially considering he crossed the line ~80kph slower than anyone else, but my gut feeling is Mercedes' are still the best. 

One thing I would say is the top 2 (possibly top 3) teams look like they are an eternity ahead of everyone else. Big rule changes often have the unpleasant bonus of spacing out the field. 
Lewis now went out to say that he thinks Ferrari are bluffing. So maybe, just maybe, Ferrari might have something this time.