Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

This is hilarious, no wonder Toto was in a bad mood :joy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39304047

https://twitter.com/TommyWTF1/status/845971875968811009

If you're not on Reddit, you've gotta check out what's happened to the r/formula1 subreddit for today, just brilliant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/

For context, there's a user there called u/kimiquokka, and for every post there that involves Kimi Raikkonen in some form, he always comments about how he's the greatest. If it was any other user it would be annoying as heck, but everyone kinda accepts it, and it's a running joke that when you read his comments you think to yourself 'wtf, what's this dude on about', and then you read the username and go 'aaaahhh, have my upvote'.

Anyway, check out the sub, it's glorious.

MBKF1 said:

If you're not on Reddit, you've gotta check out what's happened to the r/formula1 subreddit for today, just brilliant.

For context, there's a user there called u/kimiquokka, and for every post there that involves Kimi Raikkonen in some form, he always comments about how he's the greatest. If it was any other user it would be annoying as heck, but everyone kinda accepts it, and it's a running joke that when you read his comments you think to yourself '****, what's this dude on about', and then you read the username and go 'aaaahhh, have my upvote'.

Not true, it's actually just really annoying :p

And I downvote every post I see from kimiquokka, they just spout delusional crap non-stop.

I don't think I'd like reddit too much when it comes to discussion. Feels like it's a bunch of people just trying to be funny for upvotes, doesn't seem like it gives much room for alternate opinions.

Some of the subreddits are complete echo chambers (/r/news, /r/politicts) but the smaller ones are pretty gucci. 

MBKF1 said:

For context, there's a user there called u/kimiquokka, and for every post there that involves Kimi Raikkonen in some form, he always comments about how he's the greatest. If it was any other user it would be annoying as heck, but everyone kinda accepts it, and it's a running joke that when you read his comments you think to yourself '****, what's this dude on about', and then you read the username and go 'aaaahhh, have my upvote'.

Not true, it's actually just really annoying :p

And I downvote every post I see from kimiquokka, they just spout delusional crap non-stop.

Fair enough. There have been a couple of times myself when I've downvoted him. Sometimes he gets desperate, but most of the time I'm cool with it :p 

Jiggy said:

I don't think I'd like reddit too much when it comes to discussion. Feels like it's a bunch of people just trying to be funny for upvotes, doesn't seem like it gives much room for alternate opinions.

I know what you mean. The largest community I post in is formula1. Apart from that it's RaceTrackDesigns and... well, that's about it. I tend to browse mainly.

Opening up r/formula1 this morning was a wonderful experience.                                                            

So Honda could be supplying Sauber with engines next year. This is genuinely what Honda said, try not to laugh as you read it. 

“We have always maintained that Honda is open to supplying multiple teams and discussions have taken place. As a power unit supplier, we have a responsibility for the good of the sport and fans to provide power units to multiple teams.”

As if Sauber wasn't slow enough, if they switch it up to Honda-engines, they might end up going backwards to the point they'll end up in the 90s, driving supercars with Schumacher, Frentzen and Wendlinger.

If Honda supply Sauber, wouldn't it be good for them? It would increase the amount of engine data from 2 cars to 4.

Juice29 said:

If Honda supply Sauber, wouldn't it be good for them? It would increase the amount of engine data from 2 cars to 4.

Maybe, but looking at how Honda is apparently trying to create a good engine (by going for nothing but homeruns and not hitting a single one, instead of trying to get to first base and build from that), it might not even matter in their case.

If Sauber finish last this year, which is more than likely, they will have no choice but to go with Honda as they will be getting the engines for free plus Honda will be giving them cash. 

How do you know that? Honda would be making a huge loss supplying them for free and giving them money, that makes no sense. 

Hughesy said:

How do you know that? Honda would be making a huge loss supplying them for free and giving them money, that makes no sense. 

That is the current deal with McLaren.  Free engines and Honda foots the bill for Alonso, or at least a good chunk of his salary.  Honda is still 2-3 years behind in the engine game. Data collection is more important to them at this moment in time than charging customers for its power units. Why else would Sauber even consider Honda? Anyone in their right mind would choose a year old Merc engine over the Honda engine unless an attractive offer was on the table, i.e the same offer as McLaren. 

So you think because McLaren gets a deal on engines that it would be extended to Sauber. You do realize there's a huge difference between McLaren and Sauber... right? Why would Honda do it for Sauber? They have nothing close to as big a bargaining chip as Alonso. Not to mention, even at its worst, McLaren is still one of the most successful teams in F1... Sauber's record is nothing compared to McLaren.

So you think because McLaren gets a deal on engines that it would be extended to Sauber. You do realize there's a huge difference between McLaren and Sauber... right? Why would Honda do it for Sauber? They have nothing close to as big a bargaining chip as Alonso. Not to mention, even at its worst, McLaren is still one of the most successful teams in F1... Sauber's record is nothing compared to McLaren.

Do you think Alonso will be at McLaren next year? I don't. That said, Alonso is working miracles with a crap car and an underpowered engine. If Alonso goes, which is more than likely, what options are available for McLaren?

Let's see:
McLaren stays with Honda; their driver lineup will consist of Vandoorne and possibly a rookie driver. 
Mclaren goes back to Mercedes; their driver lineup will consist of Vandoorne and Wherlein or another Mercedes backed driver. 

The future doesn't look good for neither parties after Alonso leaves.  No top driver will sign with McLaren and Honda will not have a world champion to help them develop the engine.  So where does Sauber fit into all of this? Put Honda power units in Sauber cars along with a Japanese driver in one of the seats, albeit Matsushita, and gather technical data in 2018. Honda is positioning themselves to buy out Sauber next year or 2019. Sauber has a top of the line wind tunnel facility so it makes sense that Honda would want to buy them out. 

coolieboy said:

Do you think Alonso will be at McLaren next year? I don't. That said, Alonso is working miracles with a crap car and an underpowered engine. If Alonso goes, which is more than likely, what options are available for McLaren?

Let's see:
McLaren stays with Honda; their driver lineup will consist of Vandoorne and possibly a rookie driver. 
Mclaren goes back to Mercedes; their driver lineup will consist of Vandoorne and Wherlein or another Mercedes backed driver. 

The future doesn't look good for neither parties after Alonso leaves.  No top driver will sign with McLaren and Honda will not have a world champion to help them develop the engine.  So where does Sauber fit into all of this? Put Honda power units in Sauber cars along with a Japanese driver in one of the seats, albeit Matsushita, and gather technical data in 2018. Honda is positioning themselves to buy out Sauber next year or 2019. Sauber has a top of the line wind tunnel facility so it makes sense that Honda would want to buy them out. 

Really not sure why you think Alonso is vital to what engines get used. You say he's done miracles for Honda, that's funny. When Honda started they were a year behind... if I had to guess they are currently more than a year behind somehow. Alonso has had zero positive effect of developing the engine. He's been able to eek out an occasional good performance from the car, that's if the thing doesn't explode first. 

So if they stay with Honda and lose Alonso (not sure where you think he's going, other than the WEC). Who cares who they get? They'll still lose. McLaren had two world champions developing the engine/car and all they managed was to score a few points. No driver will make that engine a winner, so it really doesn't matter if they race a rookie. If they go back to Mercedes engines, they still aren't going to draw a top driver without proving the chassis is fast. Plus McLaren believe, as do I, a customer team will never win the championship as long as there is a factory team. Look at what happened at Renault, new factory team with a proven record... did you see any of the top guys running to get those seats? No. So as long as Merc is still in, McLaren-Merc will never win. 

The only thing you've said that actual makes any sense is Honda buying Sauber. Which has nothing to do with your original justification for your statement that Sauber would get free Honda engines. However, judging by how Honda's previous F1 teams ended and how their current venture is going, I can't imagine anyone at Honda would think buying a team would be a wise investment. 

I'm in Spain at the moment and I had some Spanish / English radio service on yesterday. Came around to the Sports news and some news about F1. Of the 3 drivers he mentioned during the report, he pronounced all their names incorrectly.

Antonio Giovinanzi (Gee-ov-i-nan-zee)
Valtieri Bottas (Val-tee-airy)
Niki Rosberg

Amateur.

So it looks like Malaysia won't be apart of the calender next year as the officials don't see F1 in their future plans.

Link

Good effort though, they should stick to Chinese, then nobody would notice the mistake :joy:

At the moment nobody can see anything, so if they are going to do mistakes its best to do it now lol