The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I'm disappointed they're seemingly going ahead with the cockpit protection for next year. It seems this new shield idea has hardly been tested out (different from the aero-screen), and I'd rather they wait and see what it looks like in anger before going with it.

I still am of the opinion that if F1 is going to go down the route of cockpit protection, then it should be done properly and with a fully closed canopy. Yes, the cars would need a big re-design, but I personally feel it's better to spend 5 years perfecting a proper system, rather than some half-assed shield or aero-screen or whatever for next year.

Same. Either do a canopy or don't do it at all. Now it's just some stupid gimmick because people haven't still left panic mode over recent incidents. Too reactionary to give the impression that it makes sense.

It is.                                                                                                                             

Seriously though Sauber would be better with a VW Beetle engine than Honda. 

This helps McLaren because now Honda has two teams to basically develop their engines, giving them a better chance at a good Honda-engine down the line.

Also, I am drunk with laughter and drunk in general because it's my 3th anniversary on this magnificent piece of #BLESSED site that I've grown to love over the year. It's relevant because even when drunk, I would be faster than the Sauber-Honda package.

Sauber to use Honda engines from 2018 but don't know if this is real or not?

Link

Benson said it's real, so it must be! 

Also, Johnny 'sort of' Herbert is on a roll today. Must've heard him say it a good 15 times in the last 20 minutes.

Bring back Pat. 

Great news for Sauber and even better news for Honda. Can't wait to see what color livery Sauber uses next year.  I'm thinking the primary color will be red or black. 

coolieboy said:

Great news for Sauber and even better news for Honda. Can't wait to see what color livery Sauber uses next year.  I'm thinking the primary color will be red or black. 

I doubt they will use those colours, i would say Blue or a colour from their past.

coolieboy said:

White-red because they'll be Honda's factory team long-term. And that.....

is a JIGGY® Prediction™.

Jiggy said:

coolieboy said:

White-red because they'll be Honda's factory team long-term. And that.....

is a JIGGY® Prediction™.

The irony if they do for Ron Dennis and Mclaren

You know, I like to think that I'm over the engine noise the V10 era or even the V8 era produced. Turns out, I'm not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyqoX3LZrk

Why am I doing this to myself?

I'll never be over it. I watched a old race the other day with V10's and it was glorious. Even a boring race I wouldn't fall asleep,  as the noise keeps me awake. The last race I drifted off for 10 minutes, that never used to happen.  

I'll never get over the old noise either. Hearing the screaming V10s at Silverstone back in 2002 as a 5 year old kid, I'll never forget the bone-shaking thrill I got.

I went to testing last year and it was just pants in comparison. The actual noise is ok, it's just too quiet! I tell you what did sound good that I saw recently - The Formula V8 3.5 cars, they were glorious. Wish F1 could have engines like that.

Funnily enough, the last race I fell asleep in the middle of was Sochi 2014. That was a real bore if I remember correctly.

MBKF1 said:

Funnily enough, the last race I fell asleep in the middle of was Sochi 2017. That was a real bore if I remember correctly.

Fixed

Naaah, I preferred 2017 to 2014 because of the little battle at the end with Seb and Valtteri. In 2014, Lewis literally had it all to himself and the only interesting thing was Rosberg making his way back through the pack after his lock up (which was easy, given the dominance of the 2014 Merc).

Sochi is just a bit of a dull circuit really. Apart from T3, there's no personality to the track. Both straights are preceded by terrible 90 degree corners so cars can't get close enough to overtake.

Sochi is like Valencia and Valencia sucked fucking major cock.

That's how I feel about Abu Dhabi. Hate watching it, but it's probably my favorite track to race on.

Noice!

Interesting to see what the other teams make of the new rules.

So um Nico Rosberg just followed me on instagram... 

He'll unfollow you in 30 minutes ;)

I hope I'm wrong, but he does have a reputation for doing stuff like that. Follows his fans and then unfollows an hour later later, or replies to their tweets and then deletes them an hour later. Really weird.

EDIT: Sorry bud, this isn't meant to sound rude, so sorry if it came off like that. I'm delighted for you that he gave you a follow. I just thought I'd say, because yeah, I've heard he's done that stuff before.

STOP RUINING MY CHILDHOOD MATT