The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

So Grosjean thinks he has a good shot at getting a seat at Ferrari in 2018 if Raikkonen leaves.
I agree with him.

It's hilarious that he thinks he has a chance. Why would Ferrari want someone who constantly moans, when he goes off it's always the cars fault. I'm surprised Haas haven't given him the boot, as he's always rude towards the team, not great for team morale.

If you would sack drivers for moaning, just about the entire grid would be gone, bar Palmer. Who then would be gone because he sucks.

Grosjean has been widely expected to take over from Raikkonen the second he signed for Haas, because he's insanely fast with a reputation to outperform his car. He definitely without doubt has a chance. Even more if LeClerc becomes GP2-champion and needs a F1-seat. And if not LeClerc, maybe Giovinazzi.

I'm not sure where you got that he's known to always outperform the car from, he's had one good season imo. Every time he goes off he blames the brakes, I don't see his teammate doing the same. There are plenty of drivers who Ferrari should look to get, Grosjean should be the last on the list.

Also is EJ talking rubbish again? I'm not sure why Mercedes would want to leave the sport...

https://twitter.com/c4f1/status/878595971990659072

I said he has a reputation for outperforming the car, not that he always does it. And as for where I got that from, when he scored podium after podium in 2013, the entire season of 2015 where he even got a podium, his early-season form of 2016 with a brand-new team.

He quite clearly has had more than one good season and he complains a lot, but I don't see how that's relevant. Alonso complains a lot more than his team-mate too and I don't see less people claim he's one of the best, if not the best driver on the grid. Magnussen has acknowledged the issues in interviews as well, you just don't hear him on the radio as much as Grosjean. And after the brake-problems at Haas is close to approaching two years, it's not like it isn't justified at this point.

There aren't many drivers on the grid better than Grosjean, those who are, are highly unrealistic and/or unavaliable and seeing how getting him also opens up a spot at Haas for a Ferrari-protege, it's logical that he should feel like he has a good chance at getting a Ferrari-seat when Kimi leaves, because he has. That's why he moved to Haas in the first place.

What a great cartoon by this guy

https://twitter.com/jakeddcreative/status/879381979682267137

wrong forum and year xd                                                                                                            

Jacques Villeneuve is so desperate to stay relevant, he literally only says this sh*t to get himself in the news again. Had 2 good years at Williams and then became incredibly average afterwards.

Stroll's got the time to develop and become a world champion in the future, and could easily surpass any records Jacques achieved, that would shut him up.

I wouldn't call nearly blowing the title in a dominant car a good year, so cut it down to 1 good year at Williams. ;)

Indeed!

In other news, you know the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi is painted in that gorgeous sea blue colour? Well it's has been painted pink for this year's race...

I'm predicting a Force India victory straight away!

This is heartbreaking. All the money that was spent upgrading the track and F1 owners can't be bothered to help them...
https://twitter.com/skysportsf1/status/881451714024550400

Incredibly sad if it does happen. It's a world class facility, an amazing circuit, and of course it has the greatest fans. F1 would suffer enormously if it weren't on the calendar.

I feel like Monaco, Silverstone, Monza and Spa (and maybe even Suzuka) deserve some sort of special deal. They're the most historic circuits that F1 just belongs to, they should be on the calendar every single year, without question.

Also, it's a real shame Silverstone receives zero backing from the government or anything. Many races around the world are supported by the government, and if I ever became Prime Minister, I would make sure Silverstone received some financial support! :p 

AMS97KRR said:
Pathetic, how can we seriously lose a track like Silverstone??
I don't think we're really gonna lose it bud. I think they're doing this because they want to renegotiate their contract with the news owners, because they know they won't be squeezed for money in the same way they would be by Bernie.

Silverstone has to be the dullest historic track around, although at least the racing is ok. I'd love a return to Brands Hatch despite how ridiculously unlikely that is and how the races would be a procession, its just so cool.

Never liked Brands Hatch. Think it's an awkward track, way too short, with simple turns that lacks rhythm.

Bring back bridge corner and everything will be sweet. That new section they added in 2010 is physical nonsense.

MBKF1 said:
Stroll's got the time to develop and become a world champion in the future, and could easily surpass any records Jacques achieved, that would shut him up.
One good race for Stroll and he's now a potential world champion. His Baku performance was very good but his previous 7 races less so, let's not jump the gun. 

Mexicola said:
Bring back bridge corner and everything will be sweet. That new section they added in 2010 is physical nonsense.
I loved bridge corner but the new section has massively improved the racing, not only for the addition of a medium sized straight but also for getting drivers in to position for a move on the old pit straight. Plus I do kinda like the new turn 1 & 2.