The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

So this protects my head? I thought my helmet protected my head?

HIDEOUS                                                       

The new F1 emoji 

Here's the full set of them :joy:

https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/885802702248304641

HIDEOUS                                          

Heard an F1 car from the campsite this morning, turns out Haas are doing a test? Can't quite tell who the driver is as I'm peering through a fence, but I think it's Kevin Magnusson's helmet.

EDIT: It's Antonio Giovinazzi.

Hughesy said:
Here's the full set of them :joy:

https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/885802702248304641
I'm curled up in ball crying in fear. :s

Well, just been to a panel of James Allison, Andrew Shovlin, Ollie Webb and Wilhelm Tosdt. Great bunch of people it seems.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/strategy-group-halo-shield-decision-932802/

Oh boy.
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, NO! I really don't like the halos and most of the drivers don't even like them. Head injury's are not very common and the drivers know it could happen at anytime. Plus there still many things that can get pass the halo design.

Oh ffs :angry:

It looks like the type of thong  Anne Hegerty from the Chase would wear.

(If you aren't from the UK you won't have a clue who I'm on about)

I'm a bit gutted about the halo. I'm all on-board for safety and all that jazz, but it's ugly. I play in cockpit view on the F1, and that's going to be #### now. 

F1 drivers are more likely to have an accident on the journey to the track than actually on it racing. F1 is safe and they accept the risks. The halo is an after thought and won't do the job properly.

F1 is gonna look back and regret this decision.

Yea and if Codemasters include it in F1 18 cockpit view is going to be very annoying. If they really must have protection I'd much rather have a canopy like the F1 concept cars. Wheel tethers work really well already. I'm all for safety, but where does it end, driverless cars?

The biggest problem I have with the halo, other than it being a poor solution to a wide problem, is the reason why it has been introduced and that's because it's a reaction to Bianchi's accident (I know there's been other accidents in other series but F1 really only started paying attention since the Bianchi crash). My couple of problems with that:

- The FIA's formal investigation in to it found that Jules was apparently driving "too fast", which is why he went off in the first place. 

- When he went off he hit a giant digger, instead of hitting the specially designed barriers. 

So the result of his accident was in no way down to the car's being open cockpit. And, as anyone who's seen the actual collision will know, the halo would not have saved Bianchi in any case. The impact was too violent. 

All in all not a brilliant day for F1. Apparently 9 out of the 10 teams were not in support of its introduction. 

The FIA have opened a can of worms. Their decision to introduce the halo is down to a fear over getting sued if another fatal accident occurs in the future. However, with this decision, where do they draw the line? 9 of the 10 teams voted against it, the drivers voted against it, the fans despise it. It's bound to be unpopular, which is the last thing F1 needs right now.

This is what the drivers will look like with the halo device.

https://twitter.com/tcsla1/status/888008969456939011

The halo is such a dumb solution to a problem that may or may not even exist. Of course safety is important, anyone that says otherwise (or those that say F1 is on,y good because it's risky and they chose to do it) are a special breed of odd.  Personally I prefer the shield/canopy solutions as they look better and address the issue better. The halo only protects from a car driving over the cockpit or deflecting a wheel. It wouldn't have protected Bianci, it wouldn't have protected Justin Wilson, it wouldn't have protected Massa. So in my book it isn't worth it. 

I tend to agree with Will Buxton on this one, let the teams come up with their own solutions. Set parameters that the device has to meet certain performance standards (deflect a wheel, withstand a part being shot into it, allow for easy extraction, etc.). Then let the teams develop what works best for them. These are the the best engineers and most innovative people around, let them loose to make the solution(s).

Statistically, it doesn't even help the drivers that much. Drivers are 18 percent more protected as it is right now and it mostly blocks loose wheels, which will be more secure in 2018 after they'll add a third wire to keep them connected to the car after a crash.

Also, everybody, except for Ferrari, doesn't want the halo. It's been speculated that they're doing this solely because the FIA is scared and overly concerned with protecting themselves after getting sued by the Bianchi-family.

I think Plato puts it best

https://twitter.com/jasonplato/status/887787774040002560

Also, hmm...
https://twitter.com/dwhitehouse88/status/887793185661046784

Haven't agreed with Plato this much since he said love made everyone a poet.

I totally agree. Look at the falafel it caused when they introduced the stepped front nose. Then the t wing and now this pap. You can't win. 
 That was banned for safety reasons.... Probable down to it being able to chop your face off if something smacked into it.