The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I'm surprised the extra head protection got through in the first place but I'm even more surprised it's the halo and not the shield that's been decided. It's all already been said but I can't see (pun intended) how obscuring vision with that god awful thing will make anything safer.

I know it's been decided but I really wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled again. I (and apparantly 9 teams and nearly all drivers as well as nearly every fan) bloody hope anyway.

Going up to eau rouge they will be completely blind, baffles me that they think it's safe, it's going to cause more issues than it solves.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but having watched the 2008 Brazillian GP on sky last night, I have to say that other than the first few and last few laps, it was a fairly dull race. Average at best. The race for the lead was massively one sided (Vettel challenged for a bit, Alonso too until Massa ran off), Hamilton was in position I believe for most of the race until the rain came down, Raikkonen had a quiet race. Probably 10-15 genuinely exciting laps, and the rest were just meh.

Granted, the last few laps were particularly exciting. The 2012 race (which is currently on) has just been non-stop action in comparison. 2012 was such a good year for F1.

Here we go again...                                                                            

I'm honestly just saying, because I was surprised. As I said, the first few and last few laps were top quality but the rest I was actually surprisingly bored. 2007 race was no better either, they showed that on wednesday. 

A classic title decider but not a classic race without that context.

To you. A Vettel fan. As a Hamilton fan watching him try to win his first WDC, it was a very exciting race. I thought we'd figured this out already?

I'm talking purely as a neutral on this one. Take out the Vettel-Alonso battle and it is still a great race. I forgot just how long Hulkenberg led the race for, such a shame he made a stupid decision to overtake Lewis when he did.

Edit: Hamilton didn't have much competition all race from what I remember, he was mostly just going around in 4th. I was mostly waiting for the last few laps.

2012 may have been an exciting race throughout, but NOTHING can beat the tension of the final 5 laps of 2008. Mixed conditions, Hamilton out of position, struggling for grip, Ferrari and Massa think they've won it, then an an overtake at the final corner to take the championship. What can possibly beat that? 

AMS97KRR said:
I'm talking purely as a neutral on this one. Take out the Vettel-Alonso battle and it is still a great race. I forgot just how long Hulkenberg led the race for, such a shame he made a stupid decision to overtake Lewis when he did.

Edit: Hamilton didn't have much competition all race from what I remember, he was mostly just going around in 4th. I was mostly waiting for the last few laps.
Here's the catch, you can't speak as a neutral no matter how hard you try, cos you support the driver who won in 2012! I can't either, cos I support the driver who won in 2008. You'll always favour the races your favourite driver won, whether or not you say you're being neutral.

Like I'm guessing you don't consider Canada 2011 to be probably the best race of the last 20-30 years, mainly because Vettel stuffed it and didn't win.

AMS97KRR said:

Here's the catch, you can't speak as a neutral no matter how hard you try, cos you support the driver who won in 2012! I can't either, cos I support the driver who won in 2008. You'll always favour the races your favourite driver won, whether or not you say you're being neutral.

Like I'm guessing you don't consider Canada 2011 to be probably the best race of the last 20-30 years, mainly because Vettel stuffed it and didn't win.
That's not really true. I think most people would agree that if you removed the title battles from both races and pretended they were the second race of the year, that 2012 was a more entertaining race the whole way through and that 2008 would have been considered a forgettable race by most. Sure, 2008 was worth the wait in the end, because it was definitely the most dramatic title clincher we've had, maybe not in all of the sports history because I haven't watched them all, but definitely for a while.  I'm only comparing them because Sky showed 3 classic races, nothing to do with the drivers involved.

And I do actually consider Canada to be one of the best races in the history of the sport, probably the best, objectively speaking. The race didn't end the way I'd have liked but it had no impact on the title and the whole was was just crazy to watch. And from a neutral point of view, the race was won on the last lap by a guy who crashed a couple of times, got a penalty and was in last not long before he took the lead, that's mad.

I don't think anything I said warranted a low effort, meme response to be honest Prawn. From my initial comment to now I've spoken purely about the racing that doesn't include the title battlers. And for your information, I do believe that the last few laps of 2008 is the most dramatic way a title has been won and that Canada 2011 was, driver loyalty aside, the best race I've watched, so how can you just post that meme as a response? 

I honestly don't understand the meme. I don't do very well with new internet trends. How about that race in Canada 2011?! What a crazy end result and I think its the longest F1 race in history.

P.S. I am also a Vettel fan. ;)

It was a brilliant race, a perfect advertisement for F1 really. 6 years of racing later, and people still say how great it was, that is how you know it was special.

Edit: on the meme thing "I'm done" means "I'm out of here" or "I've had enough of this" type thing. But generally it gets said after someone says something stupid and you're frustrated. I don't think anything I said was stupid really.

Lewis looks thrilled about halo

https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/888808115411591168

How many times do I have to spell it out AMS? You don't consider the races during Hamilton's title years as exciting, because you don't like Hamilton. I disagree, as do other Hamilton fans. I find the races during the Vettel years less exciting, you disagree as do other Vettel fans.

You can't look at it objectively, you can't just say "oh if it wasn't for the title", and you can't say Red Bull didn't dominate when they won the championships 4 years in a row. I'm done because we'll never agree and I can't be arsed to just repeat myself over and over.

Is that better than a meme? I'm not pissed off at you, or even upset with you, just I can't be bothered to constantly have to repeat that I find the Hamilton years more exciting because my favourite driver is winning, while you find the Vettel years more exciting because your favourite driver was winning.

I wasn't talking about Vettel or Hamilton winning years at all though. I was just comparing two "classic races" shown by Sky on Friday and Thursday. And whether you believe it or not, I was talking purely about the racing on track, not the points table. I didn't mean it to come across as a stab at Hamilton or anyone at all.

I don't need anyone to agree with me or disagree about whether the 2012 title finale was more dramatic than 2008, it's a silly argument. 2012 is more important to me and 2008 is more important to Hamilton fans. But i'm perfectly willing to admit that 2008 was more dramatic because it was, I'm not consumed by fanboyism. But as I said, that's not a fact that pains me to admit or bothers me, because 2012 was a special race regardless.

But if we are, I enjoyed the 2008 F1 season more than 2013 or 2011. There was more competition for the title, which is ultimately what I want to see. For me it isnt all about who wins the title, but how they win it, that is what racing is all about. 

I'm not pissed off at you either, I just think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

So Haas are going to retain their drivers, that's strange because I thought one was going to Ferrari :smirk:

I thought so too, but now I know it won't be. That's because I've actually acquired some new sources, from some French Monsieur, who wishes to remain nameless, and he tells me that it's actually Kvyat who will be going to Ferrari! 

He also says Red Bull and Toro Rosso to quit F1 at the end of this year, Peugeot to re-enter F1 with McLaren, and Pastor Maldonado to join Liberty Media in a role called 'Director of Entertainment'.

Sounds mad, but believe me on this folks! If I'm wrong, I'll ban myself!

MBKF1 said:
I thought so too, but now I know it won't be. That's because I've actually acquired some new sources, from some French Monsieur, who wishes to remain nameless, and he tells me that it's actually Kvyat who will be going to Ferrari! 

He also says Red Bull and Toro Rosso to quit F1 at the end of this year, Peugeot to re-enter F1 with McLaren, and Pastor Maldonado to join Liberty Media in a role called 'Director of Entertainment'.

That's funny, usually you don't hear the Peugeot rumor until after Audi/VW has denied their interest at least three times. 

Kvyat in a Ferrari makes zero sense, even if you were going to purposely make outlandish click bait headlines. Which knowing Ferrari, might mean it's true, making Kvyat one of the luckiest SOBs in the sport. 

MBKF1 said:

I wonder if Eddie Jordan has any French roots.

Hughesy said:
So Haas are going to retain their drivers, that's strange because I thought one was going to Ferrari :smirk:
At this point, I'm convinced you cry yourself to sleep over the Grosjean-thing.

Watch out lads, I have a massive bite.

You're just mad because he isn't getting a drive at Ferrari, like he was ever in with a chance. The only person crying about it is you, as you wanted to carry on arguing that he will drive for Ferrari, nice job...