The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Hughesy said:
Watch out lads, I have a massive bite.

You're just made because he isn't getting a drive at Ferrari, like he was ever in with a chance. The only person crying about it is you, as you wanted to carry on arguing that he will drive for Ferrari, nice job...
So you're basically admitting you're trolling then. Pretty sure that's not allowed.

Also, you don't see me bring up or refer to old discussions out of nowhere. You did that. Twice now. In seperate weeks. In seperate topics. Yet I'm the one crying according to you. It's the world upside-down, because I don't talk about Grosjean and your attitude in it until you do. Maybe if you acted like an adult, we wouldn't be in this position. Like how old are you actually? 30+ or something? You're the one who is grabbing a news report and is rushing to post it here with a triumphant passive-aggressive message added to it because you took a discussion of well over a month old now personally. Do you think I'd do the same if Grosjean got confirmed for Ferrari? No. Because I don't hate your opinion that bad I need to oppose it every chance I get. Nor do I get caught up in my feelings when someone is making me feel inadequate in an internet-discussion. Nor I intentionally try to get a rise out of someone and then go on to flag them when they respond.

But I don't expect you to understand that though. You're simple and thick, which normally is tolerable, but now is getting irritable. Like find a post where I said that Grosjean was definitely going to Ferrari. Produce one. I never said that. I said it makes sense to think he had a shot at one. Which is completely true. I can say that and still be right if he doesn't go to Ferrari. Because that is what having a chance means, it means that a profitable situation might happen. Keyword: might. Am I going slow enough for you?

And the fun part is that, even when Haas confirms Grosjean and Magnussen for 2018, it does not rule out a Ferrari-move. Ever heard of clauses? Esteban Ocon is confirmed for 2019, yet can leave for Mercedes at any given time. It's common knowledge that if a factory team comes knocking for a non-factory team driver, said driver can be transferred. The important announcement is that from Ferrari. If they say Vettel + any driver not named Grosjean, that is when you can rule it out. So not only are you being pathetically hilarious right now, it's even funnier when you're basically counting your egss before they hatched.

This isn't a contest or a bet. I simply said I rate Grosjean and that his position as Haas' first driver, a team with strong ties to Ferrari, gives him a reasonable shout at a Ferrari-seat. My advice to you is to accept other people's opinions and viewpoints for a change and let this one go, instead of making another petulant comment next time Grosjean's infant baby decides to poop its pants. Because that would be the third time and even though it can get boring here, it's nowhere near boring enough for me to end up talking to you one too many times.

I love good debates but I don't want this getting too heated. We know where you both stand, lets move on!

How many times do I have to spell it out AMS? You don't consider the races during Hamilton's title years as exciting, because you don't like Hamilton. I disagree, as do other Hamilton fans. I find the races during the Vettel years less exciting, you disagree as do other Vettel fans.

You can't look at it objectively, you can't just say "oh if it wasn't for the title", and you can't say Red Bull didn't dominate when they won the championships 4 years in a row. I'm done because we'll never agree and I can't be arsed to just repeat myself over and over.

Is that better than a meme? I'm not pissed off at you, or even upset with you, just I can't be bothered to constantly have to repeat that I find the Hamilton years more exciting because my favourite driver is winning, while you find the Vettel years more exciting because your favourite driver was winning.
If you really look at it you will see that both sweeps had exciting parts and more relaxed parts. The 2010 and 2011 seasons were full of drama where it could have been different teams and drivers winning the title but Vettel put all his cards the right way. Hamilton's and Mercedes rein has been cool at some parts (I always loved it when Nico and Hamilton made stupid mistakes when racing each other). But there were quite a few races were we watched the Ham-Train cruse to the end. Both 2010-2013 (Vettel) and 2014-2016 (Hamilton & Nico) had really, really, really good parts and they also had some more relaxed parts. Vettel fans (like myself) can't deny this and neither can Hamilton fans (or the few Nico fans ;) ).

MBKF1 said:
I love good debates but I don't want this getting too heated. We know where you both stand, lets move on!
Don't worry it won't, there's no point talking to someone who resorts to insults every time he doesn't like something.

I remember a few weeks ago I made my 2018 grid predictions, and I said that while I would love a Kubica return to happen, I doubted it would.

Well now he's been confirmed to test the 2017 Renault at Hungary, it must be happening. Renault wouldn't put him in the car if they weren't serious about a return, in a current car too. It's happening!

And interestingly, Nicholas Latifi is driving on the 2nd day, and not Sirotkin. Will be interesting to see how Latifi and Kubica compare, because Latifi is doing a pretty solid job in F2 at the moment.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

I'm just hoping that Kimi doesn't retire. If he does though I think it would be awsome to have Alonso back or maybe even Ocon.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kimi stays one more season. The most likely candidates are either confirmed elsewhere or in talks with their current team and likely to remain.
I personally would love oto see Alonso go back and really show Vettel what a challenge is. It would also do Vettel a lot of good as well I think. I feel like 2014 could leave a question mark over him if he doesn't have a teammate that can challenge him again. Kimi of ten years ago would have been worthy but right now he's a long shot from his best. This year is also proving that Ferrari need to have two drivers that are consistently at the front. That Merc pair won't be beaten by Vettel on his own even if he had the faster car.

Watching Kimi trundle around as Vettel's slave must be as joyful as watching paint dry. Why do you guys want another year of the same crap? I know that you want to see your driver race in F1 for as long as possible, but at all costs? The guy struggles to get podiums in a car that is capable of winning multiple races and competing for the championship.

I've always been a Kimi fan, it is in my name on this forum and always has been. But if he doesn't win a couple of races this season and really turn up this second half of the season, he needs to retire - If  he can prove he still "has it", then I can accept another year provided he is going to turn up next season as well. I was gutted when he left in 2009 as I didn't feel we had truly seen everything he could do, but now I think it might be time. Having an old guy trundling around is a waste of a good seat that someone younger and more talented could use. Leclerc for example.

Can't be an insult when it's true tbh.

The victimized aside, the Sirotkin-situation is very interesting to say the least, he's been linked with Renault's second seat for a while now, has been widely expected to get it, but the announcement from Renault that Latifi is getting tested naturally makes people think something has changed in that set-up. Also, if I'm correct, Latifi is a Canadian with very similar circumstances as F1's only Canadian at the moment, Lance Stroll, in that he benefits from an extremely wealthy parent. So.... Renault taking Canada-money over Russia-money, I suppose. Of course, assuming they won't go for Kubica, I don't want to get ahead of myself and get my hopes up for a Kubica-return, which would be spectacular to say the least. That would be my favorite scenario though, I love Kubica. I still keep saying his 2008-season pace was so good, he would've been a World Champion had he did it in a Ferrari or a McLaren, he was that amazing in the BMW that year.

AMS97KRR said:
I've always been a Kimi fan, it is in my name on this forum and always has been. But if he doesn't win a couple of races this season and really turn up this second half of the season, he needs to retire - If  he can prove he still "has it", then I can accept another year provided he is going to turn up next season as well. I was gutted when he left in 2009 as I didn't feel we had truly seen everything he could do, but now I think it might be time. Having an old guy trundling around is a waste of a good seat that someone younger and more talented could use. Leclerc for example.
Same feelings about Kimi, same dilemma. I do think his Ferrari-role is taking speed away from him, because Kimi without supreme motivation actually dropped in race pace around 08-09 too. However, at this point, I don't really think there's enough in the tank to really be a menace in that second Ferrari.

And the prospect of fresh talent in the second Ferrari does sound exciting to me, whether it's [censored] or a monster of a talent like Leclerc or an outside name like Perez or even Sainz (although I think that would severely damage Leclerc's chances of getting a Ferrari-drive in the semi-long term-future). At this point, we know what we're getting from Kimi. And we know that what we're getting is unspectacular. And mostly unimpressive.

So apparently the halo will double the driver egress time from 5 to 10 seconds in the event of a fire. If the FIA told us that the halo would half the time it takes for a car to explode, I'm sure there would have been a lot less protests against it.

fIsince08 said:
So apparently the halo will double the driver egress time from 5 to 10 seconds in the event of a fire. If the FIA told us that the halo would half the time it takes for a car to explode, I'm sure there would have been a lot less protests against it.
The FIA should really listen to us and the drivers more often. People would like the FIA more and in the end everyone would happy, drivers and fans. We should take the FIA over and call it TOCFFORB, "The Offical Codemasters Forums Formula One Rule Book." (Pronounce TOC - FORB)

I don't know why this halo isn't being tested in a junior category for a year (maybe like F2) before being put on the world stage in F1. So many times, F1 is brought in some crazy new rule without properly testing it, and then backtracked as it was a total flop. Think of Elimination Qualifying, not tested ONCE, and it was absolutely rubbish. You'd think the FIA would get a lower championship to test these things out before getting their premier championship to use it, but nah.

It's not just the safety issues that are a problem, it's the aesthetics too. What are 2 of the main things that get kids to fall in love with F1? The noise and the looks of the cars. Now the noise has gone we have to rely on the looks, and now that's gonna be ruined too. We'll literally have 1 year of great looking cars in 2017, and then that'll be gone too.

Ugh.

The thing is this is also a safety issue. The 5 second rule applies to every level of motorsport in the world - F1, LMP, GT, touring cars and believe it or not Formula Student (the state of my legs at the minute are proof of that).

The chances of a car catching fire are much higher than an object hitting a driver and tbh I'd much rather be hit on the head and killed quickly than trapped in a burning car.

So Sauber have cancelled the deal with Honda, Honda aren't even good enough for Sauber :joy:

https://twitter.com/sauberf1team/status/890575062407024647

Sauber drops Honda, resigns with Ferrari to get latest-spec engines, revealed that driver announcements are part of the discussion and that they have a good budget that they're able to spend how they see fit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130961/sauber-seals-new-ferrari-deal-instead-of-honda

If this is going to be part of the long-rumored plan to bring Alfa Romeo to Formula One, then it'd be awesome. The only downside to this, is that it basically screws Wehrlein out of a seat.

What I'm also wondering about, is whether this deal means Sauber and Ferrari will work together more intensively and that Haas and Ferrari will work together less intensively.

Or maybe we'll still end up with Ericsson in a F1-car next year.

Jiggy said:

As long as the team is Swedish there will be a Swedish driver I guess. Having Alfa Romeo back would be sick!

So the new owners are removing negative comments from the drivers press conference #ForTheFans

https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/status/890986829499039745

Jiggy said:

As long as the team is Swedish there will be a Swedish driver I guess. Having Alfa Romeo back would be sick!
Yeah, I got told it would take a bit more than an engine deal with Ferrari for Sauber to not need Ericsson's financial contributions, so the dream is reduced to one Ferrari Academy-driver getting a Sauber-seat. Or an Alfa Romeo-seat.

Interesting article about the decisions Sky need to take ahead of 2019 when they gain exclusive TV rights in the UK.

https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/08/01/the-difficult-decisions-that-lie-ahead-for-sky/

So what would be your dream Sky F1 team... shall we compare?

Before I start, Jake Humphrey would be my pick for presenter, but I know this is incredibly unlikely due to his BT football commitments and that fact that he wants to be with his young family at home in the UK. It's also likely he won't do anything Whisper Films aren't involved in, so our only hope is that Whisper Films end up taking over the Sky F1 broadcast!

And also I would love to have Will Buxton asking the tough questions at the end of the race, but he's not gonna be leaving NBCSN any time soon, so he's out of the question too.

Presenter | Jake Humphrey (but realistically it would be Simon Lazenby)
Analysts | David Coulthard, Karun Chandhok (+ Martin Brundle and rotating guests)
Commentators | Jack Nichols, Martin Brundle (time to go Crofty, bring in a new young enthusiastic talent)
Pit Lane | Ted Kravitz (very tabloid but he's a true fan and has immense knowledge, great broadcaster)
Reporter | Will Buxton (but realistically Lee McKensie, I'd have her over Rachel any day, and she does a better job than Natalie imo)

I'd then also have a rotating run of analysts throughout the season, to go alongside the others, which would hopefully include Anthony Davidson, Mark Webber, Jenson Button, Susie Wolff and Eddie Jordan, and then anyone else who's available!

Dream. Team.

Presenter: Simon Lazenby. I actually don't mind Simon and I'm not struck on Steve Jones.
Analysts: DC and Brundle as the regulars, along with one or two rotated guests each race.
Commentators: Ben Edwards, Martin Brundle and David Coulthard
Pit  Lane: Karun Chandock. I've had enough of Ted on Sky, he's so obviously biased towards Hamilton (and I'm a Lewis fan!)
Reporter: Lee McKenzie

Again, big rotating panel of guests - EJ, Webber, Button, Davidson, Wolff, Symonds, anyone and everyone!

Also, did anyone see Leclerc's laptime in the Ferrari test today? 1.5 seconds off pole despite being on harder tyres and high fuel and never having driven the car. Wow.