The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

The only person I would like from C4 is Webber. If EJ comes to Sky I will literally change the channel, I hate the guy, he makes up so much bull crap.

Leclerc's lap doesn't surprise me, he could win a F2 race in a GP3 car. *Might be biased as he follows me on Twitter.

Kubica doing 1.21.0 to 1.21.5's on his soft tyres this morning, get hyped.

http://imgur.com/HPzhc2m

Apparently the fastest times done all weekend by Renault were in that 1.21 range as well.

*Fastest times in the race

Lando Norris set a time that was faster than Alonso and Vandoorne was able to set through out the weekend.

Crikey, I was really shocked when I saw that time. When Alonso eventually goes, McLaren have got to get him in there. Along with Leclerc, he's the next big star in F1.

What a golden age of drivers we'll potentially have in the next 2 years, I'd say up to 12 or 13 drivers who are all deserving of world championships, maybe even more.

Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Kubica, Raikkonen, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hulkenberg, Ocon, Vandoorne, Sainz, Norris, Leclerc (plus Bottas, Perez and Wehrlein, and maybe even Gasly depending on how well he does).

Once we get Ericsson, Kvyat and Palmer off the grid, and get Kubica, Leclerc and Norris on there, we've literally got a perfect grid.

Man, I'd hate to see your face when Indonesian KFC gets Sean Gelael a F1-drive instead.

MBKF1 said:
What a golden age of drivers we'll potentially have in the next 2 years, I'd say up to 12 or 13 drivers who are all deserving of world championships, maybe even more.

Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Kubica, Raikkonen, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hulkenberg, Ocon, Vandoorne, Sainz, Norris, Leclerc (plus Bottas, Perez and Wehrlein, and maybe even Gasly depending on how well he does).
I don't share your enthusiasm for a "golden age". Lots of talent but other than Verstappen nothing which we've never seen before. He's the generational talent and the only guys who can match him are all north of 30. The future is him and I've yet to see someone close to the same level at his age, although we'll see about Lerclerc. 

Bear in mind that Norris' time was set on Ultra Softs which weren't available to Alonso or Vandoorne over the weekend. He's still some way off either of them but not a bad effort.
Glad to see Kubica does still have what it takes though, seemingly. Two race distances and competitive times, I see him getting that Renault seat next season if not before the end of this one. Fairly certain he wouldn't fare any worse than Jolly Pa11mer.

I'm also not on board with this golden age yet. Ocon looks good but he'll have to start outpacing Perez more often soon. It's okay being right behind him but that'll soon become stale. Vandoorne has only just woken up it seems so we'll see over the second half of the season. Sainz doesn't seem like anything special to be honest and I'm really not sold on Wehrlein at all. He's only just outpacing Ericsson... I'm not going to judge drivers like Leclerc, Gasly, Russell etc. until they get a seat (if they do). Some drivers look excellent in lower formulae and then fail in F1 and vice versa so performing admirably in lower formulae is no guarantee they'll be a future star.

About Gasly, I never really was too impressed with him in lower formulaes to begin with and felt like Giovinazzi, who was a rookie coming out of a mad F3-class and only got the seat because his buddy Sean Gelael was nice enough to convince his sponsors to take on Giovinazzi on the side, made him look inferior despite a title win. Looking at his results in Super Formula, he's not doing too well there either.

Red Bull never really sticks too long with talents if they don't grow beyond the prospect-stage in F1 and when this was the case, they always had talent performing well, ready to go. I don't think that's the case right now, they're dealing with a weaker generation now and it's mainly because of Kvyat regressing to one of the worst drivers on the grid that Gasly is in with a shout imo.

As for Leclerc, I love the guy, but we also must consider that he's with the best package for Prema, which means that driving at the back of the field for Sauber, assuming that's the move he's going to make, will demand a whole different aspect of talent Leclerc will need to utilize. We shouldn't consider him as a talent to whom it's a matter of time he'll find success, he'll have to fight and climb his way up the F1-ladder the same way Vandoorne is finding that out the hard way. I still assume he's going to make it though, as he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders.

I do think the field right now talent-wise is much more impressive than it was a couple of years ago. But time will tell.

Around 1997/1998, the field looked very promising with young talents like R. Schumacher, Fisichella, Wurz, Trulli, Barrichello (and Panis, although he was a bit older) in competitive cars, with Hakkinen, Coulthard, M. Schumacher, Villeneuve and Frentzen already at top-teams. In 2017, Michael Schumacher and Hakkinen have their places as two of the best drivers of all time, but the rest either never reached full potential (Panis, Fisichella, Wurz, Frentzen), had an insane drop-off in form (again Panis, Villeneuve, Frentzen after 99, Wurz), never got a shot in a top car until it was too late (Fisichella), wasn't good enough when they got a top car (Coulthard, Fisichella, Trulli, Barrichello, R. Schumacher) or just had bad luck (or bad decisions) holding them back (Panis for the third time now, Barrichello, Fisichella, Wurz, Villeneuve).

At least Villeneuve got to be F1 World Champion. And even out of that group of three F1 World Champions, Hakkinen's poor form in 1997 could've seen him replaced by Olivier Panis, who was in such an amazing form, he was 3rd in the WDC driving for Prost and a legit outsider for the title race before he broke his legs at the Canadian Grand Prix.

So even when the field is looking good right now, we always have to take into account that some drivers will not get anywhere near the levels we expected them to grow towards. It's very possible that even someone like Daniel Ricciardo or Max Verstappen will never become a World Champion in Formula One.

It made me smile to see Robert do so well in the test, I always was a fan of his before the accident and it would be a fairytale if he was to return to an F1 driver seat. If I was running Renault I'd dump Palmer and put Robert in for Belgium but in the real world a return at the start of 2018 season is far more likely.

Bear in mind that Norris' time was set on Ultra Softs which weren't available to Alonso or Vandoorne over the weekend. He's still some way off either of them but not a bad effort.
Glad to see Kubica does still have what it takes though, seemingly. Two race distances and competitive times, I see him getting that Renault seat next season if not before the end of this one. Fairly certain he wouldn't fare any worse than Jolly Pa11mer.

I'm also not on board with this golden age yet. Ocon looks good but he'll have to start outpacing Perez more often soon. It's okay being right behind him but that'll soon become stale. Vandoorne has only just woken up it seems so we'll see over the second half of the season. Sainz doesn't seem like anything special to be honest and I'm really not sold on Wehrlein at all. He's only just outpacing Ericsson... I'm not going to judge drivers like Leclerc, Gasly, Russell etc. until they get a seat (if they do). Some drivers look excellent in lower formulae and then fail in F1 and vice versa so performing admirably in lower formulae is no guarantee they'll be a future star.
Great example of  why you shouldn't put too much weight on Junior formula, at least on paper, is Ricciardo. Go and compare his racing record before F1 to Hulkenberg. And yet Ricciardo is one of the top 5 drivers on the grid.

If we get to Monza and Ferrari announce raikonnen as staying, I will throw something across the room as leclerc will have to waste away in another championship like vandoorne and gasly, wasted wasted talent. And palmer, (expletive) off to someplace else with 1 world championship point and let real talent like kubica drive an f1 race for gods sake Renault!

Guys, I can't believe it, I'VE JUST BUMPED INTO MARTIN BRUNDLE ON MY HOLIDAY!

I'm not even joking. I'm in Marbella at the mo, and it was my birthday today so we went for a meal at a brilliant restaurant, and while I'm sitting there enjoying my spaghetti bolognese, I only notice bloody Martin Brundle and Alex Brundle walking in to get a takeaway. I had to get a photo, I couldn't let this opportunity go without saying hello!

I said to Martin I hoped he was feeling better, and I'm pleased to report that he said he is! I said enjoy the pizza and pasta, and after I'd gone back to my table they walked past and said 'enjoy your meal!' Great blokes!

INCREDIBLE.

It'll happen very soon I'm sure :p I've certainly had more than my fair share of incredible luck the past few months with being in the right place at the right time, firstly with Rene Arnoux and now with Brundle, plus about 15 WEC drivers back in April. I doubt I'll see anyone else for years now!

I still can't believe it. Of all the days we could've eaten at that restaurant, and all the times of the day, and it was the exact same moment! Just pure luck.

MBKF1 said:
Guys, I can't believe it, I'VE JUST BUMPED INTO MARTIN BRUNDLE ON MY HOLIDAY!

I'm not even joking. I'm in Marbella at the mo, and it was my birthday today so we went for a meal at a brilliant restaurant, and while I'm sitting there enjoying my spaghetti bolognese, I only notice bloody Martin Brundle and Alex Brundle walking in to get a takeaway. I had to get a photo, I couldn't let this opportunity go without saying hello!

I said to Martin I hoped he was feeling better, and I'm pleased to report that he said he is! I said enjoy the pizza and pasta, and after I'd gone back to my table they walked past and said 'enjoy your meal!' Great blokes!

INCREDIBLE.
He always seemed like a decent guy, pretty cool that he and Alex was friendly to you guys. Even cooler that you've met him.

I met Button many moons ago in Taunton of all places, didn't have camera phones back then though  :(

Closest I've got to F1 is a Renault show car thing is Paris you can get a photo taken in and the Buemi's 2016 eDAMS car also in Paris haha the Renault store on the Champ-Elysees is insane!

I did meet Anthony Hamilton in the Croft paddock a few years ago when Nic was racing in the BTCC.

Haha the Hulk with some top banter 

https://twitter.com/evanthaboer/status/894225150794760193

fIsince08 said:
Damn that's awesome! Never met an F1 driver yet, still waiting for my moment  :#
Same here. If you could pick just 3 to meet from the current grid, who would it be?

fIsince08 said:
Damn that's awesome! Never met an F1 driver yet, still waiting for my moment  :#
Same here. If you could pick just 3 to meet from the current grid, who would it be?
Lewis, Ricciardo and probably Charles Leclerc actually.

fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
Lewis, Ricciardo and probably Charles Leclerc actually.
I would choose Vettel, Alonso and Kimi.