The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Ricciardo, Hamilton, Kvyat.

Honorable mention for Stroll because his sister is hot. And rich. But mostly hot.

I have met both Alan Jones and Mark Webber. Alan was quite rude to me and spoke down to me and the others in the group (was at a junior Kart championship in Australia some 13 years ago now) he made it quite clear he didn't want to be there to present the trophies and that he couldn't wait to leave. Met Mark at the Aussie GP last year in the Qantas club tent, he signed my shirt and posed for a selfie and was very pleasant about it. :)

Rosberg showing that he is indeed human and not a robot

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/896114653847199744

Leclerc to Sauber confirmed:

You heard it here first!
(That's how motorsport journalism works, doesn't it?)
So who is Leclerc replacing? Also Ferrari are keeping Kimi! I'm glad to see him stay. I don't think he is to old. Kimi still has fire in him, or should I say Ice? https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/raikkonen-retained-by-ferrari-for-2018.html

Probably alcohol, you'd be right at all times.

Also, if Leclerc is joining Sauber, he'd probably displace Wehrlein.

Leclerc to Sauber confirmed:

You heard it here first!
(That's how motorsport journalism works, doesn't it?)
So who is Leclerc replacing? Also Ferrari are keeping Kimi! I'm glad to see him stay. I don't think he is to old. Kimi still has fire in him, or should I say Ice? https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/raikkonen-retained-by-ferrari-for-2018.html

I genuinely expect him to replace Wehrlein next year since Ericsson is relativity safe thanks to his relations to the people who pretty much saved Sauber. Keep Kimi in the Ferrari, let Charles get his bearings in the Sauber and then pop him into the Ferrari in 2019.

And he'll be in Ferrari the year after with Vettel if he performs as well as he should. I'm so happy he has a race seat, he's so talented that if he was in a competitive car he'd make the same impact as Max.

So, James Key stays with Toro Rosso. Bit of a shame in my opinion.
He does quite an amazing job over at the junior team of Red Bull with a very limited budget. I've always been curious how he would do at Ferrari. And it wouldn't be that far to move offices :P 

It will be a massive shame if he does leave the sport, I really think he deserves a place on the grid. Unfortunately it looks as if he won't be on the grid next year though.

I think his best option may be to have a year out, do some other stuff (either F2 or IndyCar perhaps) and hope that a seat becomes available for 2019, a bit like Magnussen did a couple of years ago. 

Ericsson seems like a nice chap and all, but he's been on the grid for 4 years now, and he's hardly set the world alight. It's absolutely time for him to move on, yet his bloody stupid team backers are too thick to notice they're supporting the wrong driver.

In an ideal world we'd have Wehrlein + Leclerc / Giovinazzi at Sauber next year. Instead we have a nobody taking the place of some proper young talent.

But that's the way F1 goes, it is harsh.

MBKF1 said:
It will be a massive shame if he does leave the sport, I really think he deserves a place on the grid. Unfortunately it looks as if he won't be on the grid next year though.

I think his best option may be to have a year out, do some other stuff (either F2 or IndyCar perhaps) and hope that a seat becomes available for 2019, a bit like Magnussen did a couple of years ago. 

Ericsson seems like a nice chap and all, but he's been on the grid for 4 years now, and he's hardly set the world alight. It's absolutely time for him to move on, yet his bloody stupid team backers are too thick to notice they're supporting the wrong driver.

In an ideal world we'd have Wehrlein + Leclerc / Giovinazzi at Sauber next year. Instead we have a nobody taking the place of some proper young talent.

But that's the way F1 goes, it is harsh.
I think they should have kept Felipe Nasr. He got their best finish of the season in 2016. Why would they get rid of their best finisher? I really think that Ericsson should be taken off the team, hes going no where soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to put it blunt, Ericsson IS the team. It's his team. It dies without Ericsson. It might be less dependent now as it was around the time Nasr was still driving for them, but still.

Jiggy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to put it blunt, Ericsson IS the team. It's his team. It dies without Ericsson. It might be less dependent now as it was around the time Nasr was still driving for them, but still.
"So I went on the web and I found this...... Then I found this!" https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2016/07/24/revealed-the-30-billion-formula-one-backers-from-sweden/ so basically Ericsson has rich Swedish backers and if Sauber fire Ericsson they will lose all their backers and money and tank. That really sucks because if would be nice to see someone else take a shot at that rookie seat. I feel Ericsson has been their too long, he should have been higher up by now.

Anyone else remember some 5 years ago when Sauber were that super popular team with two exciting drivers, driving a car capable of occasional podium finishes, which also came within a whisker of a race win and beating Mercedes' in the WCC? Those days seem so long ago. 

Then Monisha Kaltenborn happened. Although Sauber had a reputation for being a boring team much earlier too.

I'd say let Ericsson drive around at Sauber. Imagine him taking a seat at a seriously competitive team, like Force India.

But if I was him, I'd tell Sauber to not sign rookies and academy drivers, I'd sign some kind of master development driver next to Ericsson and maybe turn that Sauber into something eventually. The Swedes are happy enough with one of their own in F1 and unless that money flow gets cut off, Ericsson is here to stay.

Well, without it, there would've been no spot for a Wehrlein or a Leclerc to take, so even if it's realistically just the one seat, it's still one seat more than zero.

This is hilarious
https://twitter.com/motorsport/status/901494932329910272

My response
https://twitter.com/therealhughesy/status/901502986647732224

VetteIfan said:
Anyone else remember some 5 years ago when Sauber were that super popular team with two exciting drivers, driving a car capable of occasional podium finishes, which also came within a whisker of a race win and beating Mercedes' in the WCC? Those days seem so long ago. 
I've always been a Sauber fan.  I've been following f1 since the late eighties where names like Sauber, Tyrell, Minardi, Williams, Bennetton, McLaren, Ferrari were making the sport exciting.  To me Sauber is just as much an iconic name in F1 as much as McLaren is. Sadly, they've now built their team around 1 driver and his financial backing.  It's hard to imagine what will happen to Sauber after Ericsson leaves.  Honestly, that Honda partnership would have been the best thing for the team in the long run.  Although they have a long history with Ferarri, the scuderia will make sure to keep them as a bottom feeding team for their academy drivers. 

coolieboy said:
VetteIfan said:
I've always been a Sauber fan.  I've been following f1 since the late eighties where names like Sauber, Tyrell, Minardi, Williams, Bennetton, McLaren, Ferrari were making the sport exciting.  To me Sauber is just as much an iconic name in F1 as much as McLaren is. Sadly, they've now built their team around 1 driver and his financial backing.  It's hard to imagine what will happen to Sauber after Ericsson leaves.  Honestly, that Honda partnership would have been the best thing for the team in the long run.  Although they have a long history with Ferarri, the scuderia will make sure to keep them as a bottom feeding team for their academy drivers. 
I think next year the team is getting current spec Ferrari engines.

coolieboy said:
VetteIfan said:
I think next year the team is getting current spec Ferrari engines.
Says Ferrari lol. I think Red Bull might be one to something.  Apparently Torro Rosso is back in talks with Honda.  This can only mean Honda will continue to develop their engines in the Torro Rosso and once competitive, Red Bull will make the switch. 

I think Sauber are going to become Ferrari junior team, like Red Bull have.

These liveries look cool.

https://twitter.com/dnlcrssmdsgn/status/903349081711534080