The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I think Hartley is a great choice to put in full time. He's been fantastic in WEC. At Petit Le Mans this year he did an amazing job. He really is a great talent in those cars. I think with the current F1 regulations, he'll have an easy time adjusting to the car. These car drive very similarly to the LMP1s and DPs. 

Buemi I think is only a suitable option for a one off in COTA. If Toro Rossi are seriously looking to at least scare Kyvat, I think Hartley is the way to go. For Hartley it's a no brainer. With Porsche withdrawing from WEC, it leaves IMSA, IndyCar, or F1 as top level series for a top level driver. He'll do well wherever imo. 

Oh my god, I love that they had the team radio for this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaLnGjYnG9o/?taken-by=fiawec_official

I think Hartley is a great choice to put in full time. He's been fantastic in WEC. At Petit Le Mans this year he did an amazing job. He really is a great talent in those cars. I think with the current F1 regulations, he'll have an easy time adjusting to the car. These car drive very similarly to the LMP1s and DPs. 

Buemi I think is only a suitable option for a one off in COTA. If Toro Rossi are seriously looking to at least scare Kyvat, I think Hartley is the way to go. For Hartley it's a no brainer. With Porsche withdrawing from WEC, it leaves IMSA, IndyCar, or F1 as top level series for a top level driver. He'll do well wherever imo. 
Not going to happen. Hartley is racing Indycar next season.

Hughesy said:

Not going to happen. Hartley is racing Indycar next season.
Yeah that's what it looks like. But you never know. Toro Rosso seem to think Kyvat is expendable. I'm sure they're keeping that in mind, and using this as a test to see where they stand against each other. 

Indy is far more likely though. 

I think Red Bull has just made Max Verstappen the definite first driver of the team after extending his contract. Renault has an engine update, one per team and Max is the only one from Red Bull who is getting it.

So..... That means the rumors of Daniel Ricciardo having already signed for Ferrari is starting to sound a bit more realistic now.

Bit of an odd signing I think by Ferrari if that is true. No.1 and No.2 works so well for winning drivers titles compared to two big names. 

AMS97KRR said:
Bit of an odd signing I think by Ferrari if that is true. No.1 and No.2 works so well for winning drivers titles compared to two big names. 
I also can't imagine Vettel wanting Ricciardo as his teammate again.

Maybe....

Vettel is also leaving Ferrari for Mercedes? Either way, Ricciardo, at the very least, is humoring these rumors. It's an interesting situation to say the least, mainly because of what it means for the Red Bull-youngsters and also someone like Leclerc on the long-term.

I think if Vettel and Ricciardo were on Ferrari it would be a different relationship. Vettel is already established at Ferrari. I think Ricciardo would do well at the team.

AMS97KRR said:
As witnessed by Ferrari having won zero world titles since 2010...
Also, imo it's much more likely that Daniel is going to join Mercedes alongside Lewis for 2019. They would form a competitive team, yet I doubt there would be any tensions given they get along so well and Daniel being an easy going character.

Jiggy said:
Maybe....

Vettel is also leaving Ferrari for Mercedes? Either way, Ricciardo, at the very least, is humoring these rumors. It's an interesting situation to say the least, mainly because of what it means for the Red Bull-youngsters and also someone like Leclerc on the long-term.
No for a while, he's already signed till 2020.

fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
Maybe....

No for a while, he's already signed till 2020.
Doesn't Vettel have a early termination clause in the contract?

AMS97KRR said:
Also, imo it's much more likely that Daniel is going to join Mercedes alongside Lewis for 2019. They would form a competitive team, yet I doubt there would be any tensions given they get along so well and Daniel being an easy going character.
Red Bull got the 4 though.
Ricciardo to Mercedes also seems like an option. The rumors of him going to Ferrari are stronger though, but in general, he's not acting like someone who knows he'll be staying at Red Bull.

New owners so called in it to makes fans happy, changes qualifying to a later time because of some crappy concert. Hmm.....

AMS97KRR said:
That's nothing to do with the Clear 1 and 2 philosophy, it is all to do with the car. 2010-16 they've not once had the best car for any length of time and even this year it is probably second best once you factor in reliability. 

McLaren in 2007 is a lesson in why you don't have 2 drivers who are equally top drivers. 

Regarding McLaren 2007 I think you could make as much of a case for saying that reliability and wrong strategy at the very end of the season cost them the title, not their drivers fighting each other. 

It's just the stealing points aspect more than the bad relationship of McLaren in 2007. Take this year, every race Ferrari can win, Vettel gets those points. Not so if his team mate is able to beat him on pace.

Yeah, that was retarded, how the hell do you get yourself in a position where you're slow on the racing line and then move off-track to get out of the way, nearly launching Grosjean in the process?

Bad coaching from Williams, horrible decision-making from Stroll.

To be fair in that scenario it's such a fast section of the track that it is hard for Stroll to move out of the way unless Williams come and tell him to do so. Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't hold that one against him. 

I just haven't been a big fan of Stroll from the beginning to be honest. There is way more young talent that could be using a set.

Basic awareness is knowing you probably shouldn't be driving slow on the racing line at that part of the track to begin with. You need to take into account the possibility that someone might come up on a flyer.

But yes, Williams deserves to be shat on for not informing him properly as well.