The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Yeah really not gonna miss Kyvat. He seemed promising early on but it never quite panned out for him once a talent like Verstappen hit the grid. 

Hartley apparently intergated almost seemlessly into the team this weekend. He's a proven talent in WEC. You even have comparables with Webber and Buemi also competing with and against him in WEC for TR to gauge his talent. I think he's the right choice to pair with Gasley. 

It's cruel in the sense that he actually had a very good race in Texas for a change, probably his best since the demotion from RBR.

And when you look at Hartley, it's not like when Lotterer showed up and I got blown away by the clear display of talent. But maybe there is something to Hartley off-the-track that is much more valuable to anything Kvyat could bring.

Either way, Gasly and Hartley seems like an awfully weak line-up for this and next season. But Toro Rosso in general seems to have given up the fight for points (or Red Bull has given that fight up for them, depending how you look at it). Which will only be more apparent when they switch to Honda-engines next year.

I do feel a bit bad for Kvyat, there's not much more he could have done this weekend. However, I get why Toro Rosso have decided to go with Hartley again. One weekend isn't enough to properly assess a driver. At least now they can give him 3 more races and if he's not up to the job, they can keep Kvyat for 2018, but if Hartley impresses, they can go for him.

So Hamilton says i plan on making Vettel and Ferrari's life a misery for the next three years because he wasn't approached by Ferrari for a drive. 

No love between him and Vettel then.

Link

lol @ Hamilton lmao
"Making Ferrari's life a misery"

The arrogance of this guy, as if life for Ferrari can possibly be more miserable than it has been since 2008, another defeat in the title race is nothing to us these days, that's one of the perks of being completely dead inside

Also, interesting that he talks about no offers from Ferrari and all that. So he wants an offer. It needs to happen one day. Hamilton at Ferrari. That would be iconic.

The salt is real. It's things like these that make me hate Hamilton. I don't get arrogance on this level. Ferrari were famous long before Hamilton was born and will be famous long after Hamilton retires. Why attack a team like that? What does it gain him?  

Ferrari are experts at making their own lives miserable... I doubt Hamilton had anything to do with it. I mean Ferrari couldn't check spark plugs, you really think Hamilton is what makes them miserable? 

The guy on the verge of becoming a 4xWDC in one of his best seasons ever is the one being salty? Also, if you actually hate a driver because of something like this, you need to get your brain checked. 

The guy on the verge of becoming a 4xWDC in one of his best seasons ever is the one being salty? Also, if you actually hate a driver because of something like this, you need to get your brain checked. 
Bonkers isn’t it. The only salty people are people that hate Hamilton. It’s his job to beat Ferrari, so I’m not sure what’s wrong with that.

I do agree that Hamilton is arrogant. The way he talks I think is sometimes rude. He also seems full of himself. To me when I look at Hamilton with all the things he says, all of the constant parties, it seems to me he is just trying to fill his life with things that don't mean much. There was an article on F1 website about him living everyday as his last. It was kind of sad.

I do agree that Hamilton is arrogant. The way he talks I think is sometimes rude. He also seems full of himself. To me when I look at Hamilton with all the things he says, all of the constant parties, it seems to me he is just trying to fill his life with things that don't mean much. There was an article on F1 website about him living everyday as his last. It was kind of sad.
First of all: Show me one of the great drivers on the current grid who isn't acting arrogant every now and then, has never spoken in a rude way and isn't full of himself. Secondly, what's the problem with him partying and enjoying his life to the fullest? He's young, healthy, rich and besides, damn successful in his job. If he can manage to cope with all the parties while still being at the top level in his profession (and no one would deny that this is the case), then good for him. Criticizing him for that makes you look jealous in my eyes. I personally think that people not living their life to its fullest even though they have the means to do so are inredibly sad creatures. Apart from that, why would you care about how he lives his life? Is he affecting your life in any way by doing what he's doing? 

You know, whenever I read some weird explanations as to why certain people dislike him, I always wonder whether the people saying that are fooling themselves by not acknowledging that in actual fact there's another reason they feel so strongly about him. Or maybe they're fooling us? 

I know we all defend our favorite driver and we should. I'm not jealous of Hamilton by any means because I'm happy we're I'm at. I just think that deep down because of his lifestyle Hamilton might not be what he looks on the outside. I personally don't care for his attitude or way of living, that's my opinion and you or anybody else doesn't have to care. I don't get mad at people for liking Hamilton, that's there choice just like my favorite team and driver is mine. I just wanted to speak my mind and that's what the forum is for.

Nobody has a problem with you speaking your mind. It's just that if what you say seems to make little sense, someone is eventually going to argue with your reasoning. That's also what the forum is for. 

First of all: Show me one of the great drivers on the current grid who isn't acting arrogant every now and then, has never spoken in a rude way and isn't full of himself. Secondly, what's the problem with him partying and enjoying his life to the fullest? He's young, healthy, rich and besides, damn successful in his job. If he can manage to cope with all the parties while still being at the top level in his profession (and no one would deny that this is the case), then good for him. Criticizing him for that makes you look jealous in my eyes. I personally think that people not living their life to its fullest even though they have the means to do so are inredibly sad creatures. Apart from that, why would you care about how he lives his life? Is he affecting your life in any way by doing what he's doing? 

You know, whenever I read some weird explanations as to why certain people dislike him, I always wonder whether the people saying that are fooling themselves by not acknowledging that in actual fact there's another reason they feel so strongly about him. Or maybe they're fooling us? 
Please don't play the race card. It's such an easy one to pull out and it just makes actual racism seem lesser when it is banded around all the time.

Some people just don't like the party, celebrity life style. I'm sure some people didn't like Hunt for reasons like that, personally that type of lifestyle is not my cup of tea, and I don't think drivers should be playing celebrity. But, it isn't up to me, that's the way I see it. Plus I'm also not a huge fan of the relentless social media posting (Like #Blessed). It's probably good for the sport that he is always active, but it isn't my thing. Again though, I just decide to not follow him and I don't sit there angrily posting to him like a keyboard warrior.
As a driver, I respect his ability, and that's what counts. Although I'm pretty tired of seeing him and Mercedes win right now, not afraid to admit that. Great driver yes, but lets take a year or two off from winning starting in 2018 please ;)

Nobody has a problem with you speaking your mind. It's just that if what you say seems to make little sense, someone is eventually going to argue with your reasoning. That's also what the forum is for. 
You'd be amazed by how often people fail to grasp that tbh.

The salt is real. It's things like these that make me hate Hamilton. I don't get arrogance on this level. Ferrari were famous long before Hamilton was born and will be famous long after Hamilton retires. Why attack a team like that? What does it gain him?  

Ferrari are experts at making their own lives miserable... I doubt Hamilton had anything to do with it. I mean Ferrari couldn't check spark plugs, you really think Hamilton is what makes them miserable? 
He wasn't attacking Ferrari. This is the full quote:

"I do see the red car, and I am a fan of the company and the brand. It would be an honour for any driver to race those cars, but it has not been an option. If Ferrari wanted me, they would have approached me. I want to work with people who want me. If they don't want me, it is no problem.

"I am happy to make their life a misery for the next few years. Sebastian just re-signed, so for me and Mercedes, our goal is to make him and Ferrari unhappy for the next three years!"

In essence, Ferrari haven't offered him a contract so he doesn't want Ferrari to do well. That's not arrogant, that's common sense. Why would he want his biggest rivals to do well?

AMS97KRR said:

Please don't play the race card. It's such an easy one to pull out and it just makes actual racism seem lesser when it is banded around all the time.

Some people just don't like the party, celebrity life style. I'm sure some people didn't like Hunt for reasons like that, personally that type of lifestyle is not my cup of tea, and I don't think drivers should be playing celebrity. But, it isn't up to me, that's the way I see it. Plus I'm also not a huge fan of the relentless social media posting (Like #Blessed). It's probably good for the sport that he is always active, but it isn't my thing. Again though, I just decide to not follow him and I don't sit there angrily posting to him like a keyboard warrior.
As a driver, I respect his ability, and that's what counts. Although I'm pretty tired of seeing him and Mercedes win right now, not afraid to admit that. Great driver yes, but lets take a year or two off from winning starting in 2018 please ;)

I would love to see a battle between Ferrari, Reanult and McLaren next year. That probably won't happen so realistically I want to see Ferrari and RedBull challenge Mercedes all the way to the end (and finally someone defeat Mercedes) in 2018.

Btw, I was completely joking when I called Hamilton arrogant.

I love the guy. If anything, I'm more a fan of party time-Hamilton than 2007/08-Dennis' protege Hamilton. Current Hamilton feels more real, more free.

I don't like to talk about race (unless it's THE race hahaha ok no nvm), but I'm going to talk about race. I legit think that people's perception of Hamilton as a misbehaving partying bad-boy with an identity crisis, while also commenting negatively to the type of people he hangs around with and his overall taste when it comes to his appearance, has something to do with him being black. I'm not saying it's a main reason or am calling people racists, but it's a factor in that people will look at it from a more negative perspective quicker because of it. The context changes. Machismo, arrogance, showboating, bashfulness, those are traits commonly associated with young black males. Jenson Button is a notorious party boy, yet it was always brushed off as "boys will be boys". Had a right go at Hamilton in his book. Can be seen as unprofessional, but it wasn't. Hamilton hangs around with rappers and celebs and he is out-of-touch with himself and he wants to be an American gangsta rapper. Perception bias is a thing. Whether it's color or profession or age or a combination of that.

A very good example of these kind of stuff happening, is Raheem Sterling when he bought a house. He gets shat on regularly by the media because it's so easy for people to believe he's a young, overpaid arrogant footballer who overly shows off his wealth. In reality, the house he bought, was for his mum. And even when that was made clear, people still had a go at him. Then Sterling went to Poundland and he got mocked for being a PL-footballer who is shopping at Poundland. It's never going to be good enough.

People always try to pigeon-hole you into a box and the box of "big money spending, lavishly spending, party boy who has more money than sense and doesn't appreciate the common guy" is quicker applied to young athletes. Even quicker to young athletes of color. So basically Hamilton is in at least two boxes and for that, everything he does tends to get taken way out of context and is put under unfair and intense scrutiny.

I've said to Prawn and Colt in the past that I feel they tend to be a bit too quick to take offense to things Hamilton-related and on a wider scale, I do find myself getting annoyed by how intensely Ham-fans defend him on Twitter and what not, because I don't like those type of people, a.k.a. social media fanboys/girls, to talk about F1, because you can't really talk to them (it's the same with Max Verstappen-fans, I know), but I definitely get where they're coming from, because most of the time, the reaction to Hamilton is really unfair. And I get having the feeling that Hamilton rubs you the wrong way, I get that. Massa rubs me the wrong way. Ricciardo used to rub me the wrong way, now he rubs me the right way. But when it comes to Hamilton, people allow themselves to get upset over him unnecessarily, they get too worked up.

(This comment is 3 characters too short.)

As usual, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, Jiggy. Plus, I despise some of the rabid Hamilton-defenders on social media as much as you do. I'd like to think - although it's not at all objective to say that about myself - that I am more balanced when it comes to how I view Lewis. I defend him very often sometimes intensly so, but when he does screw up, I'm the first one to say he screwed up. I can also see why some people would dislike him for some of the things he says or does. He is a polarizing figure, that's to some degree what is appealing to me. But just as you said, sometimes the hate and vitriol aimed at him - not only by F1 fans mind you - is so over the top that I can't help but wonder if there's not a deeper reason behind all of this.

I think it would down right stupid to dislike someone just because of their skin color. That shouldn't be a factor but in this world it unfortunately is.

@Dirtking, Chadwick: Sorry if I came across a bit rude earlier. :/
Don't worry about it. I just like discussing things. We should all stand up for those we appreciate. :)

@Dirtking, Chadwick: Sorry if I came across a bit rude earlier. :/
No worries, we're all entitled to our opinions (and I could have come across less salty).

I'm just not a Hamilton fan. It's not his lifestyle or friends or fashion sense. It's often his attitude I don't like. But he is one of the best F1 drivers ever, I can't deny that.