The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I thought this was interesting from Fromula 1's website.

"To create the very tight coke bottle section that has made the channels possible requires exceptionally tight packaging of the engine and its ancillaries, including the radiators. The incredibly dense packaging of the mechanical components underlines again how integrated every part of the car must be to maximise all areas.

Ferrari is hoping that its high-rake concept holds more potential for further gains than Mercedes’ low-rake approach and that the enhanced aero potential of the extended wheelbase will allow more access to those gains.   

Will it make the SF71H a Mercedes killer? All at Maranello have their fingers crossed."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/technical/2018/3/tech-tuesday--the-developments-ferrari-plan-to-use-to-topple-mer.html

You guys heard the new Formula 1 theme that Liberty commisioned? It's horrific. It's like the Avengers and Pirates of the Carribean themes mixed together, but much worse than either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HaUZ-MWppQ

Welcome to America, my friend. I think it sounds pretty good. Maybe it will sound better with the correct setting and graphics they will use. Also, even though the old logo is by far better the new logo is starting to grow on me.

Awful haircut, although I've seen worse from Lewis over the off-season. What happened to normal haircuts?

Anyone else think the introduction to the circuits this year are better?

And those Halo's look even more ugly on tv.

So to strike up some Formula 1 talk I found this on The Drive - http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/19799/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-haas-f1-ferrari-replica-row

What do you guys make of this? I think that Haas has done a great job and they are making the most out their partnership with Ferrari. If you can use that to your advantage then why not? It would be stupid to sit at the back of the grid for 10 years before you are competitive (doing it the old fashioned way like Force India witch uses the fastest engine). The other teams should keep their mouths shut and stop crying that they are going to be beat by the newcomers. Haas has done the smart thing and I hope they continue to bother Red Bull.

Agreed. As a new team, it's better that they buy from Ferrari and compete rather than drive around the back like Caterham, Marrusia and HRT did for years in the name of having their own "identity". 

Mclaren's moaning is just sour grapes that they can't outqualify a team with half their budget. 

And the complaining from Force India is ironic considering they first big jump up the grid came in 2009 from buying a tonne of tech from Mclaren.

Hughesy said:
Vettel has a new haircut and it’s hilarious 

I bags calling it the Halo, though only half convincingly. How about the Schmonk.

If you haven't seen my other new discussion, I've made a private league for us lot on the Motorsport / Off-Topic sections of the forum. Head over to that thread to find the invite code!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/aero-changes-to-promote-closer-racing-and-overtaking-approved-f1.html

Another knee jerk reaction regarding the regulations. Yay.

It’s funny that they would look to change some of the rules to help overtaking when we have had an amazing start to the season. If they want more overtaking just remove tracks like Australia.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/aero-changes-to-promote-closer-racing-and-overtaking-approved-f1.html

It's not knee jerk, this is stuff they were going to bring in anyway, not sure why anyone would reject to this, as more than ever racing is harder. Look at what IndyCar have done, the racing is now brilliant to watch. When these rules were brought in everyone said the racing would suffer and so it has proved. The cars look great, but I'd rather better races. I personally hope we get to a point where DRS is no longer needed, as overtakes using it aren't exciting. Will these changes help, who knows, but it should. Ferrari are on top so I can understand you wanting nothing to change.

Hughesy said:

It's not knee jerk, this is stuff they were going to bring in anyway, not sure why anyone would reject to this, as more than ever racing is harder. Look at what IndyCar have done, the racing is now brilliant to watch. When these rules were brought in everyone said the racing would suffer and so it has proved. The cars look great, but I'd rather better races. I personally hope we get to a point where DRS is no longer needed, as overtakes using it aren't exciting. Will these changes help, who knows, but it should. Ferrari are on top so I can understand you wanting nothing to change.
But the racing has been great. What would happen if the changes came, didn’t help with overtaking and now Mercedes are back at the front. That would suck!

With the new aero coming in next year the racing will be a lot closer and have better overtaking into corners. And as Hughesy said hopefully DRS is gone in the near future to eliminate the fake overtaking.