The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Ericsson's fault is my favorite F1-meme for 2018 thus far.

*Cough
https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/996463559382044672?s=19

Man, what has happened with Grosjean? I really want Haas to shine this year but he is making it harder then it needs to be. K-Mag is the only one with points so far. If Grosjean doesn't do something he might lose his seat.

He might lose his seat for real though, especially when you have Leclerc in a freaking Sauber battling drivers from teams he shouldn't be battling on multiple occasions, knowing that there still is a Giovinazzi looking for a seat and Ferrari that can give it to him if either Haas or Sauber thinks one of their drivers are not up to scratch.

But apparently Grosjean is golden when it comes to car development though, but maybe he has a personal issue. Wouldn't be the first time something person affected his driving.

The FIA are considering getting rid of Blue flags in the near future

Link

I think they should stay as a backup to the light system if a driver doesn't notice it.

The FIA are considering getting rid of Blue flags in the near future

Link

I think they should stay as a backup to the light system if a driver doesn't notice it.
Ffs. Another change for the sake of change. Can't wait for races to be decided by a random backmarker.

Yeah, great, remove blue flags in a racing formula where overtaking is hard as shit. FIA, how about thy remove thyst head from thyth ass?

If you watch F1 before they had blue flags it ruined multiple races. Most would get out of the way, but there was always one that wouldn't. I remember watching one who decided to race the leader and ended up taking himself and the leader out.
They should be making it easier, like this guys system to tell the car lapping which side to overtake on.
https://twitter.com/ChrisDuffBeatty/status/996336157310050305?s=19

Agree with the pessimism surrounding the blue flag removal idea. It sounds great on paper until a great race for the lead is ruined just so we don't disturb the battle for 15th place. Illogical. 

The only F1 TV personality I've seen publicly in favour of the proposal is David Croft. That alone should be a massive red flag to the idea. 

I say keep blue flags. Some slow driver should not get in the way of the leader. I also would like to see the Soft and Ultra Soft at every race.

VetteIfan said:
Agree with the pessimism surrounding the blue flag removal idea. It sounds great on paper until a great race for the lead is ruined just so we don't disturb the battle for 15th place. Illogical. 

The only F1 TV personality I've seen publicly in favour of the proposal is David Croft. That alone should be a massive red flag to the idea. 
Don't worry, as soon as Hamilton would lose a certain victory due to a backmarker hindering him, Crofty would be all over Sky demanding blue flags to come back.

Does anyone else feel that there are too many tires? Why can't there be two tires for the whole season. One with high grip and high wear and one with lower grip and low wear? I love races with multiple pit stops.

I don't think there has ever been a season of just two tyres. Back in the 80s the range was A-D, Bridgestone had 4 compounds as well but no one really cared as they always marked the softer one with the stripe. It's just Pirelli have gone overkill and we now have the 3 compounds per race.

So you don't want to see the drivers being able to push every lap? As that's what they did in the first year and it was rubbish.

Pirelli get so much stick. They have such a tough job deciding what tyres to bring to each race. There are so many variables, and they're never going to get it right every time. Some races you will be able to push, some you will have to conserve. It's the way it goes. On the whole I'd say they get it right.

Saying that, I do think the whole tyre naming system is ridiculous now. We do not need 7 different compounds, and it's confusing to newcomers. Get it down to 5 again and that'll be fine!

Super soft (purple)
Soft (red)
Medium (yellow)
Hard (white)
Super hard (orange)

Hughesy said:
So you don't want to see the drivers being able to push every lap? As that's what they did in the first year and it was rubbish.
I think only 2 tires per race that are on the softer side would encourage pushing because you would need to make 2-3 stops anyway. Look at Indycar, they only have 2 tires and they have 2-3 stops every race and still push.

MBKF1 said:
Pirelli get so much stick. They have such a tough job deciding what tyres to bring to each race. There are so many variables, and they're never going to get it right every time. Some races you will be able to push, some you will have to conserve. It's the way it goes. On the whole I'd say they get it right.

Saying that, I do think the whole tyre naming system is ridiculous now. We do not need 7 different compounds, and it's confusing to newcomers. Get it down to 5 again and that'll be fine!

Super soft (purple)
Soft (red)
Medium (yellow)
Hard (white)
Super hard (orange)
I love Pirelli as the tire suppliers. I'm not giving them any stink I just wanted to see softer tires.

Hughesy said:
I think only 2 tires per race that are on the softer side would encourage pushing because you would need to make 2-3 stops anyway. Look at Indycar, they only have 2 tires and they have 2-3 stops every race and still push.
IndyCars have refulling though, that's why they change tyres.

Hughesy said:
Indy car a lot of time isn't limited by fuel, not necessarily the tires. And the general consensus regarding refueling is a big no. 

We did two tires per race in F1, right before we move to three. We had options and primes. Which resulted in very limited strategy choices. At least with three compounds per race there's the illusion or possibility of an alternate strategy. But even so there's always now a compound not worth using in the race. 

Hughesy said:
Indy car a lot of time isn't limited by fuel, not necessarily the tires. And the general consensus regarding refueling is a big no. 

We did two tires per race in F1, right before we move to three. We had options and primes. Which resulted in very limited strategy choices. At least with three compounds per race there's the illusion or possibility of an alternate strategy. But even so there's always now a compound not worth using in the race. 
That is why I think instead of putting a tire the drivers wont use put in one that they will.

Hughesy said:

That is why I think instead of putting a tire the drivers wont use put in one that they will.
Sure. But the problem is that theres always going to be a compound each weekend that will give no benefit for using. The other weekend it was the softest compound, compared to the next one up, it was slower and less durable. So no one uses it really. In reality you cannot make three different tires equally advantageous, therefore there's always going to be a compound each weekend that the teams aren't going to want to use unless they are forced to.