The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I do agree with you, there's definitely some obstacles to overcome which is why I don't see them being the dominant form of car any time soon.  The one about the grid being stretched already is the biggest problem, and then as you say, there is the need to make electricity greener using wind/wave/solar rather than fossil fuels. But yeah, like I said, an alternative has to be found to petrol. Whether that is Hydrogen or electric, who knows? 

It's for this reason that F1 should avoid electric cars, I really cannot see them being dominant in the next couple of decades. Leave Formula E to drive development of them, F1 can continue with its hybrid route and can adapt down the line to either fully electric or Hydrogen, whichever looks most likely to be the future. Re-asses in 2031, a decade after the major changes coming in for 2021.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/1030065701107757056?s=19

Wonder if  Norris will get a drive at TR.

Hopefully. Sainz/Vandoorne has to be the dullest McLaren line-up in my lifetime. No race wins or podiums between them, neither look like potential champions from what we have seen. Norris should walk into that team if he lives up to the hype next year. 

I hope we don't see McLaren go the way of Williams.

I hope Vandoorne stays at McLaren, just to put him up another driver other than Alonso. Will be good to see if Vandoorne is a genuinely quick driver, or if Alonso was just super human :p 

I expect Norris could end up at Toro Rosso in exchange for James Key, but if that happened, would Norris become a Red Bull young driver, or would he still be associated with McLaren? I expect Red Bull will also be doing everything they can to get Dan Ticktum in for next season with the super license points, although I hope he doesn't because with his reputation and dodgy past, I feel he needs a season of F2 before going to F1.

The other thing is... Where does Ocon go in all of this? With Stroll undoubtedly going to Force India, I'd expect him and Lawrence Stroll to keep Perez (if they got rid of him after it was Perez who essentially saved the team in the first place, then it would look pretty bad on the Stroll's). So does Ocon go to Williams? Would Mercedes be willing to make Williams their young driver team and put Russell in there too?

I love this silly season, I'm gonna make some predictions

MERCEDES - Hamilton / Bottas
FERRARI - Vettel / Raikkonen
RED BULL - Verstappen / Gasly
RENAULT - Hulkenberg / Ricciardo
HAAS - Magnussen / Giovinazzi
FORCE INDIA - Stroll / Perez
SAUBER - Ericsson / Leclerc
TORO ROSSO - Hartley / Norris
McLAREN - Vandoorne / Sainz
WILLIAMS - Ocon / Russell

Raikkonen has been great this season and despite the rumours of Leclerc coming in for next season, I expect Ferrari would want to give Leclerc another year at Sauber to develop more. Raikkonen is doing exactly what Ferrari need tbh, so why change him right now, boring as it may be.

I think Grosjean's gonna get the boot, and Ferrari will try and get Giovinazzi in there in his place. Would be strange though if Giovinazzi comes in with Haas and starts beating Leclerc straight away due to a better car. Interesting to see how that one plays out.

Why not promote Leclerc to Haas and put Giovinazzi in the Sauber-team?

It seems to me that Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren are taking on way more young drivers than they can handle. They fund all these guys career's only for there to be no space at F1 level. It doesn't make sense.

It's good for RB though. As the only big team with a true development team they've put themselves in a position where they can now pick off the "rejected" drivers and take them on. One of Vandoorne or Norris seems likely at this point, and I wouldn't even rule out Giovinazzi or Ocon if they have no other options.

It's the equivalent of another guy buying a girl drinks at a club all night, only for you to introduce yourself at the end of the night and be the one who goes home with her. RB may just have found a new way to operate their driver programme :p 

It's an easy and relatively cost effective way to ensure you're never without an at least halfway decent driver. It keeps options open for the team. 

Take McLaren right now. Their faces with having to replace Alonso, they know they have two young talents in Norris and Vandorne both of which the contracts are basically sorted to put them right in. It also allows them to shop the market for a more established driver. And if they take a more experienced driver, like Sainz. They now can evaluate the two drivers they already "own" and pick whichever one is more promising. 

It also guarantees they are never really rushing to fill a seat should a surprise happen, like Rosberg up and retiring or a driver getting injured. They then have a safety net to fill in. 

The problem area is when a young driver can't wait on their team any longer. LeClerc was kinda in that situation, Norris and Giovinazzi are basically in that situation now. Basically if Ferrari doesn't do anything with Leclerc to promote him sooner rather than later or Giovianzzi to give him a shot, they risk losing them to teams like Force India or Renault that don't venture into these kinda arrangements too much. But for teams like Ferrari and Mercedes, they don't really mind that risk because they're a big enough draw no matter what and can afford to buy out drivers should they have to.

So it's on the driver to make a choice between a drive at a smaller and less successful midfield (and back) team on their own or staying connected with the big team and hope something opens up. 

Seem Stroll's dad may have abandoned the idea of buying FI,  the team rumored to lose all points from this year and drop to last in the WCC apart of a new Liberty media rumored deal  to try and rescue FI and get them on the grid this weekend. They will need anonymous votes from the other teams to allow FI to race this weekend under a new name.

Sad time at Force India.

Link

What a weird situation.

Because of this Stroll takeover, it seems there's going to be a knock on effect with some of the drivers (be it in Monza or just for next season), and unfortunately whatever happens it seems as though either Ocon or Vandoorne are gonna lose out from it all. Really hope they both geta seat somewhere next season.

I know Red Bull get a lot of stick for the handling of their drivers, but at least they have their Toro Rosso B-team to give them a place to hone their skills, and that is superb that the drivers get the chance.

Ferrari seem to be starting to do something similar with Sauber / Alfa Romeo now (I hope in the next couple of years they can oust Ericsson and his backers and make it a true Alfa Romeo team for the Ferrari youngsters).

And that's what I feel Mercedes need to do too now. Take a team and make it their B-team, and put their young drivers in it. Because it sucks that Wehrlein was left without a drive for this year (and I'd say it's unlikely he'll return now), and there's a chance Ocon might be out of a drive next year too, and they've got no where to put Russell for next year either. They've got all this talent and no where to put them.

MBKF1 said:
What a weird situation.

Because of this Stroll takeover, it seems there's going to be a knock on effect with some of the drivers (be it in Monza or just for next season), and unfortunately whatever happens it seems as though either Ocon or Vandoorne are gonna lose out from it all. Really hope they both geta seat somewhere next season.

I know Red Bull get a lot of stick for the handling of their drivers, but at least they have their Toro Rosso B-team to give them a place to hone their skills, and that is superb that the drivers get the chance.

Ferrari seem to be starting to do something similar with Sauber / Alfa Romeo now (I hope in the next couple of years they can oust Ericsson and his backers and make it a true Alfa Romeo team for the Ferrari youngsters).

And that's what I feel Mercedes need to do too now. Take a team and make it their B-team, and put their young drivers in it. Because it sucks that Wehrlein was left without a drive for this year (and I'd say it's unlikely he'll return now), and there's a chance Ocon might be out of a drive next year too, and they've got no where to put Russell for next year either. They've got all this talent and no where to put them.
Double post

And Kubica looks set to return to a full time drive if these moves takes place.

Jiggy said:
Huh, wait, how does Kubica win?                 
Stroll goes to FI, Kubica replaces him. Presumably Williams keep the Stroll money as it was already agreed.

It's a right mess mind, FI are still in administration, have an entry and all the prize money but no assets. Stroll owns all the assets but doesn't have an entry or any prize money.

fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
Huh, wait, how does Kubica win?                 
Stroll goes to FI, Kubica replaces him. Presumably Williams keep the Stroll money as it was already agreed.

It's a right mess mind, FI are still in administration, have an entry and all the prize money but no assets. Stroll owns all the assets but doesn't have an entry or any prize money.
I think it's lame they lose the points, but "keep" the penalty-points regarding gearboxes and all that. Although, you could say a lower ranked team like Williams could abuse it if the FIA didn't do that.

Also, apparently Ocon went to Woking for a seat-fitting at McLaren. So that's probably Vandoorne out.

So McLaren ended Buttons career, ended Alonso career and now vandoorne. Obviously I'm ecstatic that a local lad is driving in F1 next year. I just hope they give Norris a good car.

Yes Alonso destroyed his team mate, but he's the best driver on the grid imo, Has loads of experience and can get the best out of a crap car. I hope Vandoorne gets another drive in F1, because he has so much potential.

I think he's been incredibly unlucky to go up against Alonso as his first team mate. I don't think Vandoorne

Vandoorne has been such an odd case for me, because I remember in GP2 when he dominated, I thought he would be the next big thing, but that clearly hasn't proven to be the case. Maybe he's a driver who just hasn't settled with F1 machinery for whatever reason, but being team mates with Alonso has definitely not helped him.

I think put him up with another driver and he'll do a good job. Hopefully there'll be a spot for him at Sauber or Toro Rosso (if they're desperate).

Talking of Toro Rosso, I keep reading rumours that Kvyat is back on their radar... That can't be real, surely he won't go back for a 3rd stint with them?!

I don't really understand why McLaren didn't keep Vandoorne to partner Sainz. Norris can stay in F2 for another season if he doesn't win the title, and they get a proper test of how good Vandoorne is, Alonso is not a fair comparison at all. I expect Norris to be a success though. 

Absurd decision IMO, but that's been the story of McLaren for years now, stupid decision after stupid decision. Short-sited decisions as well. Chucking out a guy who has been convincingly beaten by Alonso, only to hire someone convincingly beaten by Hulkenberg....

I totally agree. Norris is an unknown quantity and we all expect him to do well, but you've got to say this is probably McLaren's weakest line up since the mid 90s when they had drivers like Michael Andretti, Brundle and Blundell.

Alonso was the only thing keeping McLaren regarded as a 'top team', and now he's going I can't see how anyone can call them a top team now. They're not going to recover for years.

Vandoorne had 2 years to impress and progress and he's just gone backwards. People talk about how its Mclaren's fault not giving him the car but plenty of rookies have started off with poor cars and haven't shown such underwhelming form. Yes Alonso is one of the best drivers on the grid but he's not a god, you'd expect Vandoorne to at least manage to outqualify him once or twice over a whole season.

Vandoorne had 2 years to impress and progress and he's just gone backwards. People talk about how its Mclaren's fault not giving him the car but plenty of rookies have started off with poor cars and haven't shown such underwhelming form. Yes Alonso is one of the best drivers on the grid but he's not a god, you'd expect Vandoorne to at least manage to outqualify him once or twice over a whole season.
I agree. It's rare you see a rookie start off so poorly and then turn in to something amazing. Normally a special driver is obvious from the moment they start racing. Ricciardo is maybe an example to the contrary but that's about all I can think of in recent times. 

He was touted as the next Hamilton and did very un-Hamilton like things against Alonso. I don't think he's a bad driver but his junior career record has preceded him. Also iirc Norris needed to be signed by McLaren now or he was free to sign with another team for next season. Much better to risk Vandoorne moving out of the McLaren camp than Norris at this moment in time, given Vandoorne has had his chance. 

Although I must say, if Vandoorne does join Toro Rosso and RB turn out to be super impressed by him and promote him to the first team where he also turns out to be very impressive, it will be pretty hilarious. After the Honda engine deal it would become a bit of a theme for RB to steal valuable assets from McLaren. 

P.S Hello again Tom

The thing with Vandoorne is, debut aside, he hasn't ever had a standout performance. If you look at the likes of Leclerc, Gasly or further back Hamilton and Vettel or even Webber, they all had good signs early on.

Vandoorne hasn't.