The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

George Russell to Williams. Very deserving of the seat, he's done a better job overall than Norris over this Formula 2 season. First time Norris has been beaten to a title in years!

I'm confused as to why it wasn't Ocon in that seat though. Could someone explain to me why Mercedes didn't push for Ocon to get that seat? Would've thought they'd want their current top junior in there?

Glad to see him get a seat, not only because he is also from Norfolk but because talent has trumped money it seems. If I was Ocon and Mercedes had paid for that seat for Russell I'd be fuming, has there been any news on that?

Looks like I'm going to cheering on Williams next year, what a turn of events.

Apparently for next year they're getting rid of the SC line and going back to a start/finish line restart. Not sure why or how I feel about that...

They are probably trying to eliminate drivers from taking off to early to have better restarts for the fans.

I like it the way we have it at the moment with the SC lines. Don't see why they need to change it really.

Imagine a restart at Baku if it was at the start / finish line. With that massive run up there'd be so many people having to back off to make sure they didn't overtake before the line!

The rule was introduced to allow earlier overtaking on the restarts. Are we now saying that's a bad thing?

Has anyone followed the whole Guy Edwards story today? Strange... :p

For those who've missed it, Guy Edwards was an F1 driver in the 1970s (probably most famous for pulling Niki Lauda out of the flames and wreckage at Nurburgring in 1976), and last night someone reported that he had died. All the major motorsport news outlets (incl. Autosport and Motorsport.com) jumped onto this story and made their own articles and obituaries, but then it turns out that he hasn't died and is in fact alive and well in his cottage in Ireland!

It's funny but also terrible really. Just shows what a bit of fact checking can do and how a rogue story can blow up. Fake news!

MBKF1 said:
Has anyone followed the whole Guy Edwards story today? Strange... :p

For those who've missed it, Guy Edwards was an F1 driver in the 1970s (probably most famous for pulling Niki Lauda out of the flames and wreckage at Nurburgring in 1976), and last night someone reported that he had died. All the major motorsport news outlets (incl. Autosport and Motorsport.com) jumped onto this story and made their own articles and obituaries, but then it turns out that he hasn't died and is in fact alive and well in his cottage in Ireland!

It's funny but also terrible really. Just shows what a bit of fact checking can do and how a rogue story can blow up. Fake news!
I genuinely thought he was dead until i saw this post. It was reported all over twitter yesterday, and as i didn't know the guy i never looked further into it.. Mad how easily people can be deceived! (Including me  :# ) 

Must have been interesting for him to read his own obituaries and tributes, if he saw them!

Beginning to look like Kimi should have stayed at Ferrari. Vettel is self-destructing these past few races.

It's so weird how it's ALWAYS him that spins round! I loved Martin Brundle's commentary when it happened at COTA, he just shouted 'Oh he's round AGAIN!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwPpqaLE60&t=74s

It's reminds me of @RevolvingPrawn every time he comes in to contact with ai in Pcars 2, whether he hits the ai or the ai hits him, he's the one that always ends up spinning round :joy:

Also that YouTube video makes me sad. It's 60fps, but in the UK TV is broadcast at 50hz (50fps) so that video looks so much smoother. I don't understand why the UK still uses 50hz when all TV are now 60hz.

I know there is a motorsport thread somewhere but I can't be bothered to go back and find it, so this will do.

Anyone watch the Macau GP earlier? I happened to wake up early today for some reason, so I found a stream for the race and watched it in bed. Sophia Floersch's crash... my goodness... that is absolutely one of the worst crashes I've ever seen in motorsport. Thank goodness she's relatively fine after that. I hope the marshals and photographers all recover as well, because I know some of them were injured too.

Apart from the obvious shock of seeing the footage for the first time, I also felt kind of angry, because this accident was much worse than it should have been because of yet ANOTHER sausage kerb launching an out-of-control car into mid air!

We've seen so many examples of cars being launched by these sausage kerbs (Heidfeld in Beijing Formula E, Tereshenko in GP3 Spa, Galael in F2 Monaco), but this is undoubtedly the worst result of one of them now. There must be research made into finding another way to stop drivers cutting corners, while not launching out-of-control cars into the air and potentially into catch fencing and people or objects behind it.

In terms of the race itself, Dan Ticktum drove brilliantly to win. I should be happy because he's a young talented British hopeful, but his attitude, arrogance and ego are pretty rubbish, so I just can't support him at all. I listened to the Autosport Podcast this week and they did a Macau GP special with Ticktum as a guest, and the dude is just so arrogant, I've never known a driver like it (apart from Verstappen maybe)! The way he speaks shows he thinks he's the best and it's incomprehensible to him how anyone else can be better. 'I won this, I won that, I did this better than them, xxx has no chance, we're looking pretty unbeatable tbh', etc.

Obviously we all know about his past (if you don't, he overtook around 10 cars under SC conditions to deliberately hit another driver out of the race, at a corner where marshals were on the track working. Resulted in a 1 year disqualification from motorsport.), but then this year he also insinuated that Prema and Mick Schumacher must be cheating because of their success! What a load of bullsh*t this guy is full of! He just couldn't face up to the fact that his performance in the second half of the season was just really naff. (He got an average of just 11 points per race in the second half of the season).

Ugh, sorry to rant, but the guy just winds me up the wrong way somehow. The guy needs to take a leaf out of George Russell and Charles Leclerc's books. They're both amazingly talented, yet they are humble and so calm on and off track. Maybe when he lets his ego calm down a bit then I'll start supporting him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNYr4YQXfg

Holy ****, that one made me laugh for minutes.
Apparently this has been taken down.

MBKF1 said:
I know there is a motorsport thread somewhere but I can't be bothered to go back and find it, so this will do.

Anyone watch the Macau GP earlier? I happened to wake up early today for some reason, so I found a stream for the race and watched it in bed. Sophia Floersch's crash... my goodness... that is absolutely one of the worst crashes I've ever seen in motorsport. Thank goodness she's relatively fine after that. I hope the marshals and photographers all recover as well, because I know some of them were injured too.

Apart from the obvious shock of seeing the footage for the first time, I also felt kind of angry, because this accident was much worse than it should have been because of yet ANOTHER sausage kerb launching an out-of-control car into mid air!

We've seen so many examples of cars being launched by these sausage kerbs (Heidfeld in Beijing Formula E, Tereshenko in GP3 Spa, Galael in F2 Monaco), but this is undoubtedly the worst result of one of them now. There must be research made into finding another way to stop drivers cutting corners, while not launching out-of-control cars into the air and potentially into catch fencing and people or objects behind it.
Not that I don't agree, but looking at the many, many angles I've seen from the crash, I'd say that Sophia got launched over the wheel of someone else's car. The area to the inside of the kerb was slightly elevated, but not in a sausage kerb-kind of way.

Having said that, people should've died today. They didn't. How everybody got away with their lives in this accident is a miracle. Even more if the spinal fracture Sophia has suffered is relatively okay to the point she can go back racing next season.

You're definitely right when saying she got launched over someone else's car, but I am 99% sure the sausage kerb did cause the car to go airborne in the first place. Then when she hit the other car it made her go further.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/9y6jkl/macau_gp_sophia_crash_location_and_kerb/?utm_source=reddit-android

Saw this photo earlier, which definitely shows it to be a sausage kerb (look at the shoe on the right for size comparison). You can tell from the marks that she skidded across it too. I'm sure this kerb had some effect on the accident.

Yeah, that's definitely a ramp. I take back what I said. I do wonder what would've happened without it, as she would've hit the car much harder, but then again, I'd bet that it was always much easier to survive that impact than the one Sophia ended up surviving today. That crash could not have gone any better, a slight tilt in this direction or that direction and it's over.

The angle i saw she was already in the air, initially i thought she launched off another car but until you pointed out it was a kerb. Reports from the team is that she is recovering fine in hospital.

Jiggy said:
Yeah, that's definitely a ramp. I take back what I said. I do wonder what would've happened without it, as she would've hit the car much harder, but then again, I'd bet that it was always much easier to survive that impact than the one Sophia ended up surviving today. That crash could not have gone any better, a slight tilt in this direction or that direction and it's over.
I think hitting the other car would've been preferable to going over the barrier! The cars are designed to deform on impact (excluding the survival cell of course, and car on car crashes are usually ok. In Floersch's accident she hit a pretty solid structure which brought her to a quick stop. If she hit the other car then the stop time would have been longer and safer I'm sure.

They said with Jules Bianchi's accident that if he had hit Sutil's car instead of the recovery vehicle then he would've most likely walked away from it because Sutil's car would have also started to deform (probably not the right word) after the impact.
The angle i saw she was already in the air, initially i thought she launched off another car but until you pointed out it was a kerb. Reports from the team is that she is recovering fine in hospital.
She was definitely launched higher into the air from the other car, you're right, but the kerb seemed to get her into the air first.

Another thing that is important to take away from this accident is the placement of marshals around race tracks. I know this sort of scenario that happened is so unlikely to happen, but these things can happen, and those marshals were right in the firing line.

I've thought this for years with T1 at Monaco. Take a look at the video below of Max Verstappen's crash there in 2015, and you can see there are marshals placed right behind the barrier where he ended up.

https://youtu.be/Ce4r2nSnmyU?t=15

After that accident they installed a small fence behind it to protect the marshals better, but the accident in Macau yesterday shows that cars can still go straight through those fences. If Verstappen happened to get airborne into T1 then those marshals would've had no chance. Track designers really need to think about these things in the future.