The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

MBKF1 said:
Jiggy said:
Yeah, that's definitely a ramp. I take back what I said. I do wonder what would've happened without it, as she would've hit the car much harder, but then again, I'd bet that it was always much easier to survive that impact than the one Sophia ended up surviving today. That crash could not have gone any better, a slight tilt in this direction or that direction and it's over.
I think hitting the other car would've been preferable to going over the barrier! The cars are designed to deform on impact (excluding the survival cell of course, and car on car crashes are usually ok. In Floersch's accident she hit a pretty solid structure which brought her to a quick stop. If she hit the other car then the stop time would have been longer and safer I'm sure.

They said with Jules Bianchi's accident that if he had hit Sutil's car instead of the recovery vehicle then he would've most likely walked away from it because Sutil's car would have also started to deform (probably not the right word) after the impact.
The angle i saw she was already in the air, initially i thought she launched off another car but until you pointed out it was a kerb. Reports from the team is that she is recovering fine in hospital.
She was definitely launched higher into the air from the other car, you're right, but the kerb seemed to get her into the air first.
Other reports said she came full speed into the corner and tried to brake late.

MBKF1 said:
Jiggy said:
Yeah, that's definitely a ramp. I take back what I said. I do wonder what would've happened without it, as she would've hit the car much harder, but then again, I'd bet that it was always much easier to survive that impact than the one Sophia ended up surviving today. That crash could not have gone any better, a slight tilt in this direction or that direction and it's over.
I think hitting the other car would've been preferable to going over the barrier! The cars are designed to deform on impact (excluding the survival cell of course, and car on car crashes are usually ok. In Floersch's accident she hit a pretty solid structure which brought her to a quick stop. If she hit the other car then the stop time would have been longer and safer I'm sure.

They said with Jules Bianchi's accident that if he had hit Sutil's car instead of the recovery vehicle then he would've most likely walked away from it because Sutil's car would have also started to deform (probably not the right word) after the impact.
The angle i saw she was already in the air, initially i thought she launched off another car but until you pointed out it was a kerb. Reports from the team is that she is recovering fine in hospital.
She was definitely launched higher into the air from the other car, you're right, but the kerb seemed to get her into the air first.
Other reports said she came full speed into the corner and tried to brake late.
The one I heard is Daruvala was just ahead of her and started breaking early because of a yellow light/flag which shouldn't have been there. Floersch made contact against Daruvala's right rear with her left rear which then broke off and left her out of control. There's fan video showing them touching and a puff of smoke from her tire before they went out of shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yp8MGD-2y4

I agree with Matt on the sausage kerb. Stupid thing didn't really need to be there for this corner anyway. I can't see how anybody would gain time through there by cutting that part of the kerbs. What I don't get is why they don't just use a line of 5 or 6 bollards to do the job. Make them sturdy enough to damage wings and splitters, but deformable enough at the base that they end up laying flat on the ground when the car goes over them.

MBKF1 said:
Another thing that is important to take away from this accident is the placement of marshals around race tracks. I know this sort of scenario that happened is so unlikely to happen, but these things can happen, and those marshals were right in the firing line.

I've thought this for years with T1 at Monaco. Take a look at the video below of Max Verstappen's crash there in 2015, and you can see there are marshals placed right behind the barrier where he ended up.

https://youtu.be/Ce4r2nSnmyU?t=15

After that accident they installed a small fence behind it to protect the marshals better, but the accident in Macau yesterday shows that cars can still go straight through those fences. If Verstappen happened to get airborne into T1 then those marshals would've had no chance. Track designers really need to think about these things in the future.
Bloody hell, i've never noticed that about T1 in Monaco, the marshals are right in the line of fire.. can you imagine if they put a sausage kerb there? 

Red Bull posted their last team photo on facebook and as usual a heap of fans posted i'll be following Dan over to Renault, But according to the Dutch fans "Your a fake fan if you only support the driver not the team" Haha. 

Will they still follow Red Bull once Max leaves for a another team? I doubt it. 

"Your a fake fan if you only support the driver not the team"
What is this, football? The only F1-team that has a justifiable team > driver-mindset is Ferrari and the tifosi, but in general, it always sounded like a lame mantra to live by.

I have been complaining about the lack of good content from the F1 channel for about a year now. Today I saw a Formula E video on my recommendations and quickly saw how much better quality the videos are (Not just editing, the videos are much better than "Highlights of x", "TOP x" and so on)
Maybe I'll actually watch some Formula E instead of Formula 1 next year as I would have a huge rant about how I would like to get away from all huge racing communities...
Also just for the lols, what is this https://youtu.be/iEbm3SL9S3w

FOM are saying that the viewership was up by 10% last year, F1 has been slowly losing viewers since the Hybrid era or even after 2010. I think there were reports during last year that FOM had to angle to cameras so they didn't show empty grandstands.

Yeah i seen that earlier,it would be interesting to see viewer numbers in the UK!

Lukedfrt said:
Yeah i seen that earlier,it would be interesting to see viewer numbers in the UK!
It'll be even more interesting with the Sky only deal this year

It might be just silly season, but there are reports that Liberty are wanting to sell F1 already as they've slumped the share price...

fIsince08 said:
It might be just silly season, but there are reports that Liberty are wanting to sell F1 already as they've slumped the share price...
That would be quite interesting.

Formula 1 is in trouble, Formula E is attracting all the major teams and sponsors atm.. F1 needs to do something to try and get new investment.

It's impressive how much Formula E has grown, considering this is only its fifth season. Having 7 big name manufacturers already on board is super for them.  Compare that to just 4 in Formula 1, and it seems no one is really interested in joining F1 any time soon because it's too damn complicated and expensive. Manufacturers have probably seen Honda come in, spend millions and millions and achieve (so far) absolutely zero success. Who on earth would want to do the same? I don't blame these manufacturers wanting to jump on the Formula E train instead.

But saying that, I still believe that F1 will always remain the king, purely because it is F1... But who knows. Exciting times.

What a sorry state motorsport is in that we're even in the position where we must acknowledge that F1 is being threatened by a couple of vacuum cleaners.

You're right on the vacuum cleaners. If I'm watching Formula E, my girlfriend always says 'you watching Formula Washing Machine again?'

Your girlfriend calls Formula E, Formula Washing Machine?! Now that's very funny. I must remember that! :D

McStanley

Since we're still here for now, RIP Sauber F1 team, who have now been renamed to Alfa Romeo Racing

Alfa Romeo Racing? Sounds like an odd team in Formula 1. I never thought Alfa Romeo would ever join Formula 1, in a million trillion years! :D

McStanley

McStanley said:
Alfa Romeo Racing? Sounds like an odd team in Formula 1. I never thought Alfa Romeo would ever join Formula 1, in a million trillion years! :D

McStanley
The first two F1 World Drivers Championships were won by drivers in Alfa Romeo cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_in_Formula_One

For some reason I can't find the old Formula 1 Stuff Thread on this new forum. If anyone can find it then we can go back to that and I'll delete this. But if it's gone for good then we can have a fresh start here for the 2019 season!

• Like 1