The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

So Ferrari still sucks, Vettel is still a bottler and we start the season with back-to-back 1-2 finishes for Mercedes. In terms of who is getting the most enjoyment out of this season thus far, I'm sure I'm not at the top of that list.

• Like 1

Despite the two Mercedes 1-2 finishes, I'm so looking forward to seeing how this year pans out because it doesn't look like there's a true runaway favourite yet. I think we'll need to take another 3 or 4 races to really see who's strongest.

What a bummer for Leclerc, so disappointed for him.

I can't find the TV coverage thread so will post here instead.

Is anyone else really starting to dislike David Croft? I've never been a huge fan anyway and always preferred Ben Edwards, but today he's really gotten on my wick. It's fair to say this was one of the most exciting races for a long time, yet he still managed to get sidetracked and laugh throughout the race. He was constantly interrupting or talking over Martin Brundle and is just downright annoying.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, I just can't get away with him commentating and Sky should go for Ben Edwards or Jack Nicholls. Or put Brundle back on lead duty and get DC, Webber or Di Resta alongside him.

• Agree 1

My lineup would be Brundle, DC, Webber, Ted and Di resta showing the incidents on the tv.

• Agree 1

My dad happened to meet some of the Sky F1 team recently and he said that Crofty was by far the nicest and chattiest of those he spoke to, said he was a top bloke. But I agree, his commentary is starting to get on my nerves a bit...

Ben Edwards is a gem, in my opinion he's the best motorsport commentator around at the moment, he's so passionate and it really comes across naturally in his voice.

To be honest, the entire Channel 4 show is leaps and bounds better than Sky's. I could write a whole proper post about why the Sky coverage has got worse in recent years, but I'll resist for now. But Channel 4 just seems so laid back and relaxed, and the drivers seem to open up more with Steve Jones / DC / Webber than they do with Sky. It is a travesty that they only have highlights this year, otherwise I would watch C4 every single time.

Dream line up would be:
- Jake Humphrey (I miss Jake so much, he was such a good presenter)
- Coulthard / Brundle / Davidson for pundits
- Ben Edwards / Brundle / Coulthard for commentary
- Ted Kravitz / Chandhok / Lee McKensie in the pit lane / interview pen

• Like 1

That's one of things I noticed about Edwards and Crofty. Edwards is so naturally passionate and you can hear it - Crofty seems to force stuff to try and make it seem exciting.

Jake Humphrey isn't going to go back to F1 and I'm not a massive Steve Jones fan (although I prefer him to Lazenby). Will Buxton would be my choice.

I do miss Lee McKenzie though - she had a rapport with the drivers unlike any other reporter. Lee was almost like she was talking to an old friend. Sky's interviews always seem stale and dull. A bit like their entire show...

Steve Jones has grown on me a lot. I wasn't sure at first but he's a breath of fresh air I think.

I used to really like Will Buxton but not so much anymore... He seems to have gone more 'clickbaity' in his opinions and expressions, and I wish he went back to being a good old proper journo who happens to be good on camera! Also, it sounds silly for me to say this, but I find the way he speaks really irritating...?! He's so gushy and lavish in the way he speaks and it's started to really grate on me for some reason. Sounds weird I know.

Yeah Lee is fantastic. I can't remember another reporter who had such a natural rapport with the drivers. She's leaps and bounds better than Rachel Brookes. Heck, ANYONE is better than Rachel Brookes. She never seems to show any emotion, and the way she asks questions sounds so forced and un-natural, and you can clearly see that most of the drivers don't really enjoy talking to her...

• Like 1

I'm so bored of Formula 1 and it seems everyone else here is as well. Yet again Ferrari have dropped the ball.

I'm now having more fun watching other motorsports like Indy Car, BTCC and Blancpain.

I didn't watch Austria but did see a replay between Max and Charles which was deemed to be a racing incident. To be far though it looked like Max didn't start turning until the middle of the corner as he steering wheel was still straight and collided with Charles forcing him off. Everyone is saying the Stewards have been consistent with their penalties of late but thinking back to Canada Vettel did the same with Hamilton forcing him off without colliding and got a 5 sec penalty as a result. Whats everyones take of it?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, couger1981 said:

I didn't watch Austria but did see a replay between Max and Charles which was deemed to be a racing incident. To be far though it looked like Max didn't start turning until the middle of the corner as he steering wheel was still straight and collided with Charles forcing him off. Everyone is saying the Stewards have been consistent with their penalties of late but thinking back to Canada Vettel did the same with Hamilton forcing him off without colliding and got a 5 sec penalty as a result. Whats everyones take of it?

Don't think it's a penalty. Verstappen was alongside and he did attempt to actually make the corner unlike Rosberg a few years ago. If there was a wall on the exit, Leclerc would have conceded earlier. Anyway he shouldn't have left the door open, that was an amatuer mistake. Everyone knows Max will go for a gap if it's there so why leave him the inside? You cover that inside line and he cant push you off...

A good example of where this is illegal would be Rosberg vs Max at Hockenheim. He didn't even bother turning in. Just straightlined the hairpin. Rosberg that is.

Edited by AMS97KRR

1 hour ago, AMS97KRR said:

Don't think it's a penalty. Verstappen was alongside and he did attempt to actually make the corner unlike Rosberg a few years ago. If there was a wall on the exit, Leclerc would have conceded earlier. Anyway he shouldn't have left the door open, that was an amatuer mistake. Everyone knows Max will go for a gap if it's there so why leave him the inside? You cover that inside line and he cant push you off...

A good example of where this is illegal would be Rosberg vs Max at Hockenheim. He didn't even bother turning in. Just straightlined the hairpin. Rosberg that is.

Yeah i remember that race back in 2016 kept going straight, and also Vettel and Ricciardo with Max in 2017 or 2018 at the same corner. Having looking back at the footage it does seem Charles is turning into Max aswell so yeah racing incident.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:58 AM, Hughesy said:

I'm so bored of Formula 1 and it seems everyone else here is as well. Yet again Ferrari have dropped the ball.

I'm now having more fun watching other motorsports like Indy Car, BTCC and Blancpain.

I've been watching a lot of WRC and WEC as of lately. F1 had been a bit dull because of the lack of winner diversity.  Austria was by far the best trade ado far. McLaren seem to have a great technical director.