The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

VetteIfan said:
You mistake my purpose Prawn. Just addressing that solitary point :P As I'm seemingly the only Vettel fan on the forum, AMS aside, getting in to arguments is always going to be a losing battle. As a matter of fact the reason I've not rejoined in so long is simply because I didn't know it existed. Fortunately onetwothree made a forum link on his twitter timeline.
*ahem* I'm a Vettel fan

VetteIfan said:
You mistake my purpose Prawn. Just addressing that solitary point :P As I'm seemingly the only Vettel fan on the forum, AMS aside, getting in to arguments is always going to be a losing battle. As a matter of fact the reason I've not rejoined in so long is simply because I didn't know it existed. Fortunately onetwothree made a forum link on his twitter timeline.
Yep. AMS is @AMS97KRR.

Sunday afternoons are gonna get a whole lot more tasty now Seb is here, haha

Glowing brake discs, sparks flying from the undertray, safety car becoming a red flag and shorter distances. Welcome to the future of Formula 1.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-new-push-make-f1-spectacular-121253857--f1.html

I like the current race length. Roughly 1 hour and a half is good amount of time. Football is 90 minutes too, so whats the issue?

fIsince08 said:
Glowing brake discs, sparks flying from the undertray, safety car becoming a red flag and shorter distances. Welcome to the future of Formula 1.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-new-push-make-f1-spectacular-121253857--f1.html
Standings starts after a safety car? What an absolutely ridiculous idea!

fIsince08 said:

Standings starts after a safety car? What an absolutely ridiculous idea!
I hate the idea of make the sport more artifically "exciting". 

If the cars go back to active suspension, and with the 18" wheel rims also rumoured to be on the strategy group agenda, the aerodynamicists are gonna feel like they're in a dream. On another note, has anyone else got the Racing Elements app? It's an F1 themed weather app with pictures from throughout the decades to correspond with the weather in whatever region you're looking at. Pretty cool.

Apparently all this shortening the race rubbish is to do with counteracting the noise problem. What the actual ****?

fIsince08 said:
Apparently all this shortening the race rubbish is to do with counteracting the noise problem. What the actual ****?

The sooner F1 is run by a fan group the better. Maybe run it like the FIA where a fan is elected as president every so often.

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Introduce a cost cap (maybe somewhere around Force India's budget)
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes
All races are free to air across the world

That'd make a decent start.

fIsince08 said:
The sooner F1 is run by a fan group the better. Maybe run it like the FIA where a fan is elected as president every so often.

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

Oh and get rid of Ecclestone. 
List complete. 

fIsince08 said:

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

Sadly the majority of those things listed would be extremely problematic to do.

Liam12d said:
fIsince08 said:

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

Oh and get rid of Ecclestone. 
List complete. 
I'd also get rid of the s****y Pirellis and DRS and make it less aero dependent.

fIsince08 said:

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

As Tom kind of hints at, nice ideas, but rather vague. For example, It's all well and good to just say "Introduce a cost cap", but if you could come up with a way to enforce and police a budget cap that could satisfactorily cover all the teams, I'm sure the FIA would hire you immediately.

Yeah, that's why Jean Todt is trying to introduce cost capping through regulations rather than through an actual cost cap, its ridiculously hard to force and the top teams are against it and can veto it out.

Banning Tilke would  also be ridiculously unfair. As far as I'm aware there's strict regulations when constructing a track to F1 standards and he's only done what he's been allowed to do.

There aren't actually many Tilke drones I'd remove in my opinion. India would obviously go but the only other track I'd think of removing would be China but that's about it. The rest are ok and we've yet to see what kind of spectacle Sochi offers.

I can't comment on races being free to air because I have almost no knowledge on the money situation of the sport :/

I wish F1 had some sort of reward system like Football does. Like in football, the top 5 positions are all European spots for the following season. Now obviously we can't have a champions league type thing in F1, but it would be cool to add some kind of reward for finishing in the top 3/4/5 so that in seasons like this, where 1st and 2nd are all but a conclusion already, something is still going on that matters to the fans that like other drivers. 

I don't have a clue what it could be, but it might be a decent idea to try something. Because as soon as you get a year like 2011 or 2013, audiences switch off and don't care anymore. Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is all but an unattainable dream. Capitalism dear boy. If there's no money to be made, what's the point?

And I've actually taken a photo with the old Minardi car at the airport.

Top 10 Worst Motor Racing Teams Ever http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-worst-racing-teams-ever-1567577866
Pretty sure the 2010 Toyota was put through a windtunnel and was found to be as fast as the 2010 Red Bull or nearly as fast