The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

AMS97KRR said:
 I wish F1 had some sort of reward system like Football does. Like in football, the top 5 positions are all European spots for the following season. Now obviously we can't have a champions league type thing in F1, but it would be cool to add some kind of reward for finishing in the top 3/4/5 so that in seasons like this, where 1st and 2nd are all but a conclusion already, something is still going on that matters to the fans that like other drivers. 

I don't have a clue what it could be, but it might be a decent idea to try something. Because as soon as you get a year like 2011 or 2013, audiences switch off and don't care anymore. Any thoughts or suggestions?

F1 teams have a money incentive already, its not like they just accept if they're gonna finished 5th, 6th or 7th. They're always pushing to grab one higher spot and besides, its never going to be as interesting for the audience watching teams fight for 5th place in the constructors compared to 1st.

Interesting watch about the future of F1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjioeWjBIM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUazEPqgCn8

AMS97KRR said:
 I wish F1 had some sort of reward system like Football does. Like in football, the top 5 positions are all European spots for the following season. Now obviously we can't have a champions league type thing in F1, but it would be cool to add some kind of reward for finishing in the top 3/4/5 so that in seasons like this, where 1st and 2nd are all but a conclusion already, something is still going on that matters to the fans that like other drivers. 

I don't have a clue what it could be, but it might be a decent idea to try something. Because as soon as you get a year like 2011 or 2013, audiences switch off and don't care anymore. Any thoughts or suggestions?

F1 teams have a money incentive already, its not like they just accept if they're gonna finished 5th, 6th or 7th. They're always pushing to grab one higher spot and besides, its never going to be as interesting for the audience watching teams fight for 5th place in the constructors compared to 1st.
I was more thinking of drivers. There doesn't seem to be much more incentive to finish 5th rather than 6th if you know what I mean. It doesn't seem to matter to the audience. Where as for sports like football, the difference between 5th and 4th is everything to some people.

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
The sooner F1 is run by a fan group the better. Maybe run it like the FIA where a fan is elected as president every so often.

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Introduce a cost cap (maybe somewhere around Force India's budget)
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes
All races are free to air across the world

That'd make a decent start.

As Tom kind of hints at, nice ideas, but rather vague. For example, It's all well and good to just say "Introduce a cost cap", but if you could come up with a way to enforce and police a budget cap that could satisfactorily cover all the teams, I'm sure the FIA would hire you immediately.
Football manages to run FFP rules well, run it like that. All team's accounts have to be submitted to the FIA at the end of the season. If they don't meet the requirements, instant disqualification from the championship.

fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
The sooner F1 is run by a fan group the better. Maybe run it like the FIA where a fan is elected as president every so often.

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

As Tom kind of hints at, nice ideas, but rather vague. For example, It's all well and good to just say "Introduce a cost cap", but if you could come up with a way to enforce and police a budget cap that could satisfactorily cover all the teams, I'm sure the FIA would hire you immediately.
Football manages to run FFP rules well, run it like that. All team's accounts have to be submitted to the FIA at the end of the season. If they don't meet the requirements, instant disqualification from the championship.
Clearly you are unaware how difficult it is to implement cost caps in F1.

Didn't they try to create one in 2009 with a two-tier championship for objectors and almost broke away? Yeah, let's not let that happen again.

fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

Once again, I don't think it's as simple as that. Claims from other teams when the initial idea of a cost cap was floated around a few years ago was teams such as Ferrari, Mercedes and even McLaren - i.e teams associated with having road car departments - can sneak development in to other areas of their operation. Then there's the fact it would be easy to manipulate from an engineering and company standpoint, the management of the resource available to them would still create discrepancies depending where it is spent, as I'm sure loopholes will be found. The fact that the whole strategy group vetoed against the idea of a cost cap shows it has many more problems, as that means even Lotus and to a lesser extent Williams would have had to have been cooperative with the veto - two of the lesser financially stable teams on the grid.

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:

I'd say:
Abandon double points
Ban Tilke
Remove some Tilke dromes

Once again, I don't think it's as simple as that. Claims from other teams when the initial idea of a cost cap was floated around a few years ago was teams such as Ferrari, Mercedes and even McLaren - i.e teams associated with having road car departments - can sneak development in to other areas of their operation. Then there's the fact it would be easy to manipulate from an engineering and company standpoint, the management of the resource available to them would still create discrepancies depending where it is spent, as I'm sure loopholes will be found. The fact that the whole strategy group vetoed against the idea of a cost cap shows it has many more problems, as that means even Lotus and to a lesser extent Williams would have had to have been cooperative with the veto - two of the lesser financially stable teams on the grid.
Exactly. You can't say that Ferrari are breaking the rules developing a new V6 engine for the next California, or McLaren when researching a new 'ultra-high performance fuel' for the P1.

In short, a cost cutting cap is very difficult to implement, if it weren't they would have done it years back. 

EDIT: I'm gonna link this comment in my sig to get the true word out there :p

mike96 said:
You know the the start lights in Abu Dhabi, well the bit above them is a screen where it says 'Etihad' and it usually has waving chequered flags throughout on the sides.

Well, what if that screen turned into yellow flags when it was necessary, green too and maybe even it could flash and say 'Safety Car'. That would be cool.
Does that screen have the chequered flag showing throughout the race? As going by how China finished, wouldn't that technically mean the race would be finished at the end of lap 1? :p
If Ferrari see this post, they will demand FIA to hand the 2012 and 2010 title to Alonso :P

:-O SOMEBODY SEND THIS TO LUCA! 

2010, with half points awarded for a first lap chequer, Vettel would have scored 243.5 points to Alonso's 249.
2012... Vettel would have finished with an extra half point lead at the end of the season :(

2016 European Grand Prix at Azerbaijan http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/486135/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalf1-recent+%28GPToday.com+-+Recent+Formula+1+News%29

I hear Mclaren may be using a nose similar to the Lotus design...
Yup, I heard it as well http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/486425/McLaren_set_to_try_Lotusstyle_double_nose_in_Spain/

https://twitter.com/MonsieurF1/status/464401125995991040

Τhis is the first one who leaked Boullier would go to McLaren btw...

Little early for silly season no? I really doubt that's gonna happen. I feel like Alonso nor Lewis would ever want this. Also why would Merc boot Rosberg? he's been with them from the start and has given them great success, why would they change their line up from one that works, to one that has proven not to work in dramatic fashion.

I can see Alonso leaving Ferrari, but not to Mercedes. The only real option for Alonso if he does decide to leave Ferrari is Mclaren. Mercedes have no reason to change anything and neither do Red Bull at the moment. But seeing Mclaren's current form (I say current, but I mean the form they've had for the past 14 months) I imagine he's slightly apprehensive about that switch now.