Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Why refuelling, why?

Don't understand the Strategy Group sometimes. They look like they're making progress and then they suddenly muck it up with some stupid ideas.

They don't need to improve the show, just simplify it and it'll be fine.
Refuelling does bring an element of strategy in though. And, I suppose it'll also slow pit stops down, which might help make them safer as teams won't be breaking records (as long as we can get rid of the fires/fuel hoses being dragged away).

They need to change the aerodynamics to make racing closer. They don't need to do pointless things like make the engines louder.

The tyre stuff seems decent, depends how its implemented. Refuelling might add more to the strategies though, although I hope they separate qualifying from the race in terms of fuel levels. We'll see how it goes.

Re-fuelling is a good thing because it means cars will have to pit because of fuel, so there will no longer be any need for tyres made of cheese. Pirelli can finally make a proper race tyre. 

Whether that is enough to override the safety risk and the increase in cost is something that I'm sure will be debated in the coming months. 

its hard to tell how close it is from the picture, the tyre looks in line with the Ferrari but the photographer is behind the first car you can see in the picture, behind by the way the car is pointing, if you look at the red steel structure of the grandstand that will give you an approximation of where he is compared to the cars which seems quite a distance. 

Crappy quality, but that tyre is nowhere close to him unless he's a giant who makes F1 tyres look small.

Or you could just watch the crash again (and ignore the music) and see that the tyre is nowhere near him in the pic, and just bounces along the barrier when it does get anywhere near close to him. Clearly you weren't watching that closely Chris ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmOhDtgsPjc

Oh gosh, I don't actually remember that! Yeah the wheel tethers are one of the best things in F1 of recent years. Only problem is when the tyres come off in the pits like at the Nurburgring in 2013. Obviously nothing the tethers can do there.

That's the one Chris. Unfortunately that's still not the whole thing, think the only way we'll see that is to find a full copy of the race :/

From what I remember the tyre bounced over a barrier and just carried on going lol, took ages for it to actually stop. Thankfully though it didn't come anywhere near hitting anyone.

That's the one Chris. Unfortunately that's still not the whole thing, think the only way we'll see that is to find a full copy of the race :/

From what I remember the tyre bounced over a barrier and just carried on going lol, took ages for it to actually stop. Thankfully though it didn't come anywhere near hitting anyone.
43:13 for the full thing live, around 44:50 for the bit you mention:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpkt2h_f1-hungarian-gp-2003-hrt-part-1_sport

DON'T TELL BERNIE

• UP100 pinned this topic