Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

The Qualifying system does not need any changes. It's one of the few things I think F1 has absolutely nailed. No other motorsport series has got it right.

tbh though, I wouldn't mind a sprint race on a Saturday! Maybe just 30 minutes. However, that's not what F1 is, so in the long run, I hope that doesn't happen.

The Qualifying system does not need any changes. It's one of the few things I think F1 has absolutely nailed. No other motorsport series has got it right.

tbh though, I wouldn't mind a sprint race on a Saturday! Maybe just 30 minutes. However, that's not what F1 is, so in the long run, I hope that doesn't happen.

I agree I don't think there's really too much wrong with the format just the tech they're using really just make the sport more driver orientated and see what happens. TBH I think that's all we really need atm. Also try and make the racing closer and moer competitive is all that's required really. The basic format I'd keep the same As I quite like the knockout system of Q1 and Q2 with the top 10 battling for pole to wrap it up.in fact the qualifying system is about the only thing they have just about got right in recent years so I hope that will not change.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder whether F1 will still be here in 10 years, or whether it's a farce that not even its viewers will even remotely respect.

But hey, as long as it pleases the +70yr-old tarts who go through life buying 30yr-old wine with their 20yr-old wives, then that's the motto right?

Aston Martin may return to F1  to partner with Red bull who may be using Mercedes engines in 2016

Good to see more brands interested in joining F1

Grand prix times
Niki Lauda says no :p http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-rules-out-aston-martin-red-bull-tie-up
It needs to happen or they will see teams abandon F1.

While I'm skeptical about it, mostly because I don't see why Aston Martin would bother if they don't get to build anything. It still could be true. But I don't see Red Bull wanting to be a customer team to the world champs.

Lauda doesn't really deny it, he just says he doesn't know anything about it (maybe he isn't a need to know kinda employee) and that Merc doesn't have the capacity to support another team's engine. But what's interesting is the rumor that Renault might be buying Lotus back... which would mean Merc have a spare engine and could supply Red Bull.

But Merc does own a 5% stake in Aston Martin and it could be an exit strategy for Red Bull (Aston Martin takes over completely as manufacture with Merc engines maybe?)

Plus Aston Martin Red Bull Mercedes Benz AMG is just a terrible name for a racing team.

Random point of conversation, but has 'Cheniere' become a new partner of F1? They had their logo around the Vale and Stowe area at Silverstone and I'm sure I've seen it at a couple of other tracks this year too.

Also, I swear UBS is getting less and less exposure now. Their logo always seems to be just above the start lights and occasionally on some kerbs, but there's not really any sections of UBS on the tracks now.

Silly season will be starting soon, so let's start our own predictions for next season.
Merc: Hamilton and Rosberg
Ferrari: Vettel and Hulkenberg/Ricciardo
Williams: Massa and Bottas
Red Bull: Ricciardo/Sainz and Kvyat
Force India: Perez and Hulkenberg/Wehrlein
Lotus/Renault: Grosjean and Maldonado
Sauber: Nasr, Ericsson, Sutil, van Der Garde, Gutierrez
Toro Rosso: Verstappen and Sainz/Lynn
McLaren: Alonso and Button
Manor: Stevens and Merhi
Haas: Gutierrez and Rossi

Also, a hypothetical scenario: If Ricciardo goes to Ferrari, who will Red Bull promote?

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton | Nico Rosberg
Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel | Valtteri Bottas
Williams: Felipe Massa | Nico Hulkenberg
Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo | Daniil Kvyat
Force India: Sergio Perez | Pascal Wehrlein
Lotus: Romain Grosjean | Pastor Maldonado
Sauber: Felipe Nasr | Marcus Ericsson
Toro Rosso: Max Verstappen | Carlos Sainz
McLaren: Fernando Alonso | Jenson Button
Manor: Will Stevens | Nick Yelloly 
Haas: Alexander Rossi | Raffaele Marciello

A couple of bold choices there, but I think they could happen. I think the whole potential situation of Bottas to Ferrari is what will be the key to the driver market. I think it's gonna happen though, so unfortunately I see this year being Raikkonen's last. This will open up a seat at Williams, and I can see Hulkenberg possibly going there? So that leaves a Force India seat, and I reckon Mercedes might wanna stick their young driver Wehrlein in there.

So I've decided on keeping 6 of the teams as they are. At Manor, I can see them keeping Stevens but I'm not sure on Merhi. I've put Nick Yelloly in there for now but it's really gonna be a pay driver. And finally Haas. I reckon they'll want an American in the team, and to be fair to Rossi, he's doing a good job in GP2 this year with a couple of drives that have been top class. I've also gone for Marciello, who is a Ferrari junior, and being an effective Ferrari B-team, I think they might stick him in there.

Also in response to your question Chris, if either of the Red Bull guys left I'd say it's too early to say who they'd promote out of Verstappen or Sainz. However, I think Sainz has done a better job so far.

And Toro Rosso wouldn't promote Alex Lynn as he's now not on the Red Bull Young Driver programme. They dropped him at the end of 2014. It would now be either Pierre Gasly or Dean Stoneman.

It's funny to watch this video back nearly two years later! It's Brundle and Davidson discussing their predictions for the 2014 driver market. Amazingly they only got just one of the teams right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeI4miJKXAE

Yeah Ferrari aren't going to have two Germans in the team. So that leaves Bottas. But I think they'll keep Kimi one more year and sign Bottas for 2017. I expect most the grid to remain roughly the same.

It does look like Kimi is the key to the silly season moves. If Kimi is removed/leaves I would bet Bottas takes over, Hulk back to Williams (or maybe Ferrari sign him and put him in at Haas?).

• UP100 pinned this topic