Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I would hate for F1 to go back to Imola for two reasons. If it did they'd completely ruin the track, they'd stick massive run off everywhere and move all the walls back another 10 meters. Also its not built for modern F1 cars. Track has two many corners in too quick succession for there to be any real chance of overtaking opportunities. I love Imola but I feel so many people look at tracks like that and Magny Cours (which was mostly awful for F1 racing) with rose tinted glasses
I don't know about anyone else but I'd prefer Magny Cours and imola over any of the newer modern circuits. The Italian GP is or was my favourite before the introduction of V6 engines and if that track goes then it really is a sign of how far F1 has fallen. I just don't like Bahrain, Russia, abu dabi and Texas. All boring in my opinion. If there's going to be more races or new tracks then I'd like to see more street tracks, at least that way there's more atmosphere and not just empty space in the background. Turkey, India and Korea didn't last long coincidentally, maybe they should look at ways of improving the sport itself rather than increase the calendar for now?
Sorry to wind the conversation back somewhat, but word on the street is actually that Ferrari's interest in Bottas has waned due to his inability to outpace Massa - the man they let go just 2 years ago. Their first choice is Ricciardo (second choice being the Hulk), but the problem with him is he's locked to Red Bull until the end of 2018. But from the evidence of history, contracts are there to be broken, so if Ferrari come asking it may be hard to stop it happening. 

For what it's worth, in my view Ricciardo would be a perfect signing for all parties:

- Ferrari gain a brilliant driver, and pair him with a man he's been proven to work well with before.

- Ricciardo gets out of the Red Bull mess and in to the team most likely to challenge Mercedes for the next year at least.

- Red Bull, while they lose a great driver, have a driver programme splitting at the seams with young talent. Getting Ricciardo out of the cue would keep the conveyor belt of drivers coming through the Toro Rosso ranks. 

- And Vettel too. Paired with Ricciardo next year, he'd have the chance to put 2014 behind him and prove it was just a one off bad year in his career. If he can beat Daniel at Ferrari. 
I think Seb is going to be againt Ricciardo joining the Scuderia. He prefers a quiet #2, and who can blame him for that? Kimi would be perfect (hence Seb's comments lately), there's not much to expect from him driving-wise anymore and he's not political at all because he just doesn't care (a huge weakness in F1 imo).

I think Kimi will stay. 
I don't know how much say Vettel really has with who the second driver is. I think signing Ricciardo would be a great move for Ferrari but I don't think it's worth having to go after Red Bull's contract which by all accounts is air tight (although no contract is truly unbreakable).

Plus I don't think Ferrari is gonna get rid of Kimi. I think his experience and input is greatly helping develop a competitive car which either Kimi or Seb can win in. They have seem to have similar driving styles so keeping both allows the car to develop better giving either (but most likely Seb) a shot at the Mercs next season.
Watching a second round of vettel vs ricciardo as team mates appeals to me but I don't think it's likely to happen. I think ricciardo is a great driver and doesn't get the recognition he deserves for his results in a car that's been pretty average at best. Bottas would be a good fit at Ferrari but I don't see him accepting a #2 position to vettel, the Williams 2015 car doesn't appear as good as the 2014 car so his driving skills might not get noticed as much as they deserve and as for kimi? It's hard to get a reading on him. Since his return with lotus he's produced some great drives and some interesting drives but I think ultimately the decision will be his as to whether he stays or not as Ferrari know they have a competitive driver. In a strange way, although completely different, I see kimi in a similar situation as Webber. He's not being moved on from a good team but he knows that his time is probably coming and needs to make a choice soon. Naturally kimi was a more successful driver than Webber but neither of them were at a point where they couldn't deliver points and a lot of feedback on the car. 
Lukedfrt said:
It's mad how Bottas has gone from future world champion last season, to a decent driver this season. 
Even last season I said I thought Bottas was maybe slightly overrated. Had Massa not had so much bad luck and been involved in so many crashes, the score in the table would have been as close as this season. 

And Bottas, for me at least, is not a future world champion. Not yet at least. He needs to start adding some aggressivness, perhaps even ruthlessness, to his driving. He tends to give too much respect in wheel to wheel combat. In my opinion at least. Turn 4 at Silverstone against Hamilton on the first lap is a great example. While it's admirable, it doesn't win you world championships. It is something he can easily work on though. 
James Allen posted an interesting snippet of information on his latest post regarding Hulkenberg:

"Detailed analysis of his on track performance data by the engineers, which Williams management will be studying now, as all the teams do, shows that while he has his moments of magic, he’s not at the level of a Bottas or a Ricciardo."

If that's true its pretty damning for Hulk.

Link: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/07/f1-driver-market-on-starting-blocks-with-latest-bottas-development-in-italy/

It's early, but Hulk does seem to suddenly turned it up a notch after winning Le Mans. Who knows, maybe he's been coasting a little after not getting the moves he's been predicted to get and after several disappointments in his career, being cut from Williams, having to deal with an abysmal Sauber in the season spots were finally opening up at top-teams, going back to Force India in shame, Force India starting off terribly this season as well. The Le Mans win was like the first real good thing for him in a long, long time. And this season he's been destroying Perez. So who knows? Maybe he'll be the man of the second half of the season with the new updates and the Le Mans-momentum.
Jules Bianchi's #17 will be retired from Formula one.
I think that's a really nice thing to do. Interestingly though, 17 was Bianchi's fourth choice (7, 27 and 77 being his first three). Don't know if any other driver had more than three options.
It's a nice gesture, but the number 17 isn't a number that seemed to mean a great deal of significance to him. As Chris says, it was his 4th choice of driver number. Having said that, I'm not sure what other kind of long lasting salute they could've done. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic