Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I hope Red Bull pull out. I'm sick to death of their constant whining. Whilst we'd lose two or four excellent drivers from the grid, and go down to 18 cars, I don't care. I'm sure a buyer could be found for at least one of the teams. If I was Marchionne I'd withdraw the offer instantly after that.
fIsince08 said:
I hope Red Bull pull out. I'm sick to death of their constant whining. Whilst we'd lose two or four excellent drivers from the grid, and go down to 18 cars, I don't care. I'm sure a buyer could be found for at least one of the teams. If I was Marchionne I'd withdraw the offer instantly after that.
I don't, we would lose 4 cars then and F1 would be in trouble....
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
But with Haas coming next season we effectively only lose two.
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
Haas aren't going to be a big draw for spectators like Red Bull are though, and they probably won't be fighting for wins....
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
Haas aren't going to be a big draw for spectators like Red Bull are though, and they probably won't be fighting for wins....
But Renault may well be towards the end of the season.
Red Bull really are being ridiculous now. They've treated Renault worse then gum on a shoe this year, which is kinda dumb when they had no real option. Now they are mad at Ferrari for not wanting to supply them with perfect engines, before there's even a deal? Like Ferrari or not, you can't expect to muscle them into a deal that doesn't benefit them first.

I think it's really just Red Bull's way of saving face from a PR standpoint. Instead of the headline being "Red Bull pull out because competition is too much" to "We're pulling out because Ferrari are being mean to us"
F1 has to do everything it can to keep all the current teams going as well as try to attract new teams and manufacturers which with the current regulations is clearly not working. Like them or not, losing Red Bull could well be the beginning of the end of F1. Costs have to be capped while at the same time allowing a freedom on in season development. No one is going to want to join in just to be at the back of the grid every year.
F1 has to do everything it can to keep all the current teams going as well as try to attract new teams and manufacturers which with the current regulations is clearly not working. Like them or not, losing Red Bull could well be the beginning of the end of F1. Costs have to be capped while at the same time allowing a freedom on in season development. No one is going to want to join in just to be at the back of the grid every year.
No it won't. Teams come and go, always have and always will. Like him or not, Bernie Ecclestone is a very clever man and won't let the sport collapse, albeit for the wrong reasons.
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
But Renault may well be towards the end of the season.
Good one. 

Red Bull leaving would be a disaster, and most fans who say "good riddance" don't seem to understand. Yes, F1 will "survive". You could fall off a 10 story building and "survive", but it doesn't mean you'll be in good shape afterwards. Having an 18 car field is the bare minimum the grid should be, and having 6 of those cars as financially unstable Sauber's, Manor's and to a slightly lesser extent Force India's, it's more likely to go down than up. 
fIsince08 said:
No it won't. Teams come and go, always have and always will. 
None as big as Red Bull though. They are one of the biggest investors of the sport, they come with a huge amount of money in advertising, have two teams in F1 and have a huge driver academy with many young F1 drivers being affiliated with the group. The effect of them pulling out would be absolutely catastrophic.
fIsince08 said:
No it won't. Teams come and go, always have and always will. Like him or not, Bernie Ecclestone is a very clever man and won't let the sport collapse, albeit for the wrong reasons.
What can Bernie do about it? Roll up his sleeves and build Red Bull an engine?
Apparently the second hASS driver will be one of the Ferrari reserves, so that means Gutierrez or Vergne.

I sure do hope it's Vergne, he did as well as Kvyat, no doubt, and it's such a shame he wasn't on the grid this year. Gutierrez never really did anything to impress, never had any stand out performances.
MBKF1 said:
Apparently the second hASS driver will be one of the Ferrari reserves, so that means Gutierrez or Vergne.

I sure do hope it's Vergne, he did as well as Kvyat, no doubt, and it's such a shame he wasn't on the grid this year. Gutierrez never really did anything to impress, never had any stand out performances.
I think Vergne could end up at Renault.
AMS97KRR said:
Grosjean at Haas then. I hope they do well for his sake.
It's difficult to say how Haas are going to do. New teams don't have a good recent history in F1, but the way they're going about it makes a lot more sense than the way Caterham/Marrusia/HRT approached it. The only thing Haas are actually designing themselves is the chassis/aero and bodywork. Their power unit, gearbox, front suspension, rear suspension, hydraulics, electronics, steering, brake ducts, fuel tank etc is all straight from Ferrari.

Admittedly for the new teams of 2010, at the time they weren't able to buy all this stuff straight from other teams due to the regulations, but what it means for Haas is they can streamline their effort on to designing the main performance differentiating parts of the car.

However, this move is more about a future move to Ferrari than the immediate move to Haas for Grosjean. I only just realised earlier while reading an article that Grosjean is 29. I couldn't quite believe it, I had to refresh the page to make sure of what was reading. He's not a young driver anymore, his career has stalled at Lotus and he needed to do something new to try and get to the top. He's more likely to get recognised in the Ferrari B-team (as it were) and if he goes against someone like Gutierrez or Vergne, Ferrari know what those guys can do from being a sim driver, so it helps them make a more informed decision on whether they think Grosjean is good enough for the Scuderia. 
VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:
It's difficult to say how Haas are going to do. New teams don't have a good recent history in F1, but the way they're going about it makes a lot more sense than the way Caterham/Marrusia/HRT approached it. The only thing Haas are actually designing themselves is the chassis/aero and bodywork. Their power unit, gearbox, front suspension, rear suspension, hydraulics, electronics, steering, brake ducts, fuel tank etc is all straight from Ferrari.

Admittedly for the new teams of 2010, at the time they weren't able to buy all this stuff straight from other teams due to the regulations, but what it means for Haas is they can streamline their effort on to designing the main performance differentiating parts of the car.

However, this move is more about a future move to Ferrari than the immediate move to Haas for Grosjean. I only just realised earlier while reading an article that Grosjean is 29. I couldn't quite believe it, I had to refresh the page to make sure of what was reading. He's not a young driver anymore, his career has stalled at Lotus and he needed to do something new to try and get to the top. He's more likely to get recognised in the Ferrari B-team (as it were) and if he goes against someone like Gutierrez or Vergne, Ferrari know what those guys can do from being a sim driver, so it helps them make a more informed decision on whether they think Grosjean is good enough for the Scuderia. 
I personally think Grosjean would be a good team mate for Vettel, he has proven his speed in 2013 especially. I do see your point, I guess a mediocre Lotus is holding him back. Hopefully he does a couple of great years for Haas before finishing up at Ferrari. It's either him or Hulkenberg for me at Ferrari. 
VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:

Technically, Dallara are building the chassis, not Haas.
  • UP100 pinned this topic