Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Brundle sits down with Ecclestone and talks about the future of F1.

Sky F1
So, I've just had time to watch this and these are the things I picked up:
  • Red Bull will be Cosworth powered (unless that's the journalist in me taking things too far :p)
  • Ecclestone avoids the obvious solution to the money problem. He says that the engines are too expensive and that the teams are spending too much, but the solution would be to distribute the money more evenly
  • He makes a fair point about the British government
  • He says F1 needs the right people, but I'm not sure he is the right person
  • He is delusional if he can't see why Force India and Sauber have called in the EU
  • I like his ideas of improving the 2017 cars
December 2014 [after Button was announced]:

"Magnussen remains a member of the McLaren family and an integral part of the future of this team" 

October 2015:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121346

Quite predictable. Mclaren's driver management is about as strong as the performance of their car. Nothing would please me more than to see Magnussen go to Renault and beat them next season. 
Yeah leaving McLaren is the best option for his F1 career... which is insane to say for someone that only has 1 season in F1. He might get the other Renault seat. I think he'd be the better option between Vergne and Palmer.

Although there is still a seat at Haas, which would certainly be better than Gutierrez, imo.
fIsince08 said:
Several 2016  rule changes:
Year old engines are allowed
In season development is allowed
32 tokens will be allowed rather than the planned 25
No parts will be off limits for development
So literally everything changed from what they originally agreed on from the start of 2014. In season and open development is great, but it's just another example of F1's short sightedness when making the rules.  

Also, to follow up on the Magnussen story from yesterday, turns out McLaren let him know about his departure by email. On the day of his birthday. I would say the way they treat their employees is disgusting, but we're pretty used to it from McLaren by now. 
fIsince08 said:
none of what you said is confirmed though right? f1 commission and fia still to ratify all these changes. And if red bull don't get there engine they will block all of what you said just because they can.
mike96 said:

Unfortunately for Hulk, Le Mans and Baku are on the same day...

Their might be a chance but I doubt it with Port Imperial Bernie herself quoted saying 2016 might be the earliest to be added, and the Istanbul circuit could be added later on depending on elections in turkey on November 1st.

http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/09/11/turkish-gp-could-return-to-2016-f1-calendar/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/07/24/f1-will-race-in-azerbaijan-in-2016-says-ecclestone/

fIsince08 said:
none of what you said is confirmed though right? f1 commission and fia still to ratify all these changes. And if red bull don't get there engine they will block all of what you said just because they can.
It isn't but it was made in a meeting between the engine suppliers and Jean Todt. I'd be very surprised if it isn't put through.

kl kl the way you said it sounded like it was confirmed, they are just suggestions at this point. I wonder who would veto it first, Red Bull or Mercedes hmmmmmmm

If Red Bull don't get a Ferrari engine they will most likely veto it to pizz off Ferrari and if Red Bull do get Ferrari engine then Mercedes will veto it through fear of getting beat by red bull. Oh the politics of F1 could be interesting in the next few months, probably more interesting than the actual racing.

The comment at the bottom of the article sums it up for me. If Bernie were to 'force' the teams back to V8's, then Mercedes and Ferrari should do a Red Bull and say they'll quit. It's not sporting to force 2 of the biggest and best teams, the 2 teams which have spent the money developing the V6 to abandon it, just because 2 teams (which have never developed their own engines) might leave the sport.

Imagine Merc pulling out, we'd lose 2 cars and 6 others would be without engines. Ferrari could probably supply but they'd only supply lower spec engines so that they could try to dominate in Merc's absence. That's if Ferrari would even stand for being forced onto the old engines after the cost of the V6's.
Back in late 2013, had anyone told me how things would unfold for Lewis from 2014 onwards, I would not have believed it. 

3 titles would calm me down immensly. Everything he achieves from this point onwards is going to feel like a bonus. At some stage of his career I was sure he would never win another WDC again. 
MBKF1 said:
So a podium of HAM, ROS, VET in that order will secure it for Lewis?

Wow, that's been quite a common podium this year, fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed? If he doesn't win it at COTA he'll still win it in Mexico. And if he somehow doesn't win it there, he'll win it in Brazil. You don't need to cross any fingers. 
I agree he doesn't even need to win another race tbh. If he does it's a bonus but he doesn't need too to get the title it's his effectively already he could probablty even afford to not even need to get another podium as long as  he gets a couple of points finishes. It's all about really keeping Mercedes at the head of the field now going into next season.
  • UP100 pinned this topic