Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

VetteIfan said:
MBKF1 said:
So a podium of HAM, ROS, VET in that order will secure it for Lewis?

Wow, that's been quite a common podium this year, fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed? If he doesn't win it at COTA he'll still win it in Mexico. And if he somehow doesn't win it there, he'll win it in Brazil. You don't need to cross any fingers. 
I don't know, I just think it'd be cool for him to get it at COTA, it seems such a cool place to win it :p. 
MBKF1 said:
VetteIfan said:
MBKF1 said:
So a podium of HAM, ROS, VET in that order will secure it for Lewis?

Wow, that's been quite a common podium this year, fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed? If he doesn't win it at COTA he'll still win it in Mexico. And if he somehow doesn't win it there, he'll win it in Brazil. You don't need to cross any fingers. 
I don't know, I just think it'd be cool for him to get it at COTA, it seems such a cool place to win it :p. 
If I was a fan of his I think I would find it better for him to win it in Mexico. COTA has already had a WCC claimed there before, and winning a title on a new (well, effectively new in Mexico's case) track for the first time leaves your mark on it for history.

It's the way I kind of think of it anyway. In reality it really doesn't matter :L
Latest in the Red Bull engine saga is that they have approached Honda for an engine, but McLaren have a contractual veto in their contract over any additional teams getting engines.

Also, apparently Red Bull are recruiting a lot of engineers. They may buy ICEs from Renault or Cosworth and build their own hybrid system around it.
This is just bizarre on so many levels. It pretty much confirms that Red Bull were bluffing with their quit threats. If they're willing to go to Honda, that shows they're trying to stay in the sport by any means neccesary, and that they're not going to quit just because of an uncompetitive engine, like what was said by Mateschitz. If McLaren are smart they shouldn't have a problem with supplying Red Bull if it's only for one year, like AMuS are reporting. The Honda engine is not going to be a winner next year, so more cars just means more development mileage for the power unit. 

It's interesting though that Red Bull consider Honda a better option than Renault for next year. And actually I can kind of see where they're coming from. Honda have clearly had the worst PU this year, but at least they've constantly tried to develop it and have shown some progress. Renault have spent the whole year and nearly ALL of their engine tokens creating an upgrade for this weekend in COTA, for it only to bring a (reported) 0.15 seconds of pace to the car. With this in mind, maybe RB think by the start of next year the Honda will have actually overtaken the Renault, due to their pathetic development pace.
Yeah it really shows that Red Bull are just bluffing to leave; when really they'll take anything just to race, as long as they can still whine. If I were Honda and McLaren, I'd allow it, especially for just a year. It will develop the engine a lot more, but McLaren will be the team to benefit the most.

I have to disagree with Red Bull refusing to use the new Renault engine. I get why they're doing it. But all year they've been complaining that Renault haven't developed, so now that Renault develop drastically, Red Bull aren't willing to test it. What do they have to lose? Grid penalties for races they'll have no hope of being competitive anyway? Seems silly.
Well what I think to that is...

Heart: 'Good news, another British driver in F1! Nice to see a GP2 champion finally graduate to F1'
Head: 'That seat could have gone to another younger rising star (Magnussen, Vergne, etc)'.
I like it. Palmer isn't the most impressive GP2-champion in recent memory, let's be real, but we really needed one of those GP2-champs graduate to F1. Vergne should be looking to alternatives anyway, he can't keep hanging around full-time in a series like the Formula E forever.

Magnussen is all on McLaren really. I'm usually an advocate of out with the old and in with the new and nothing against Alonso or Button, but I'd preferred if they allowed Magnussen to develop in that seat, instead of going for an allstar-lineup just to maybe beat the almighty Sauber to 8th in the WCC. And Vandoorne isn't getting a seat next season either and they won't be fighting for the championship next season either. And I'm definitely not willing to bet my life on Vandoorne getting a seat for 2017 too. That whole team is just stupid when they're not winning.
There is a lot of speculation going on about 2 day F1 weekends, so what do we think of this schedule that I've mocked up?

Saturday

·         8:00-8:45 GP3 Practice

·         9:15-10:30 GP2 Practice

·         11:00-13:00 F1 Practice

·         13:30-14:00 GP2 Qualifying

·         14:30-15:00 GP3 Qualifying

·         15:30-16:30 GP2 Feature Race

·         17:00-17:40 GP3 Feature Race

·         18:10-18:55 Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup Practice

Sunday

·         8:00-8:30 Porsche Supercup Qualifying

·         9:00-9:30 GP3 Sprint Race

·         10:00-11:00 F1 Qualifying

·         11:30-12:15 GP2 Sprint Race

·         12:45-13:15 Porsche Supercup Race

·         13:30 F1 Pitlane opens

·         14:00 F1 Race

I initially groaned when I heard about potential 2 day F1 weekends, but it may not actually be such a bad idea. Anyone who's been to an F1 event on a Friday will probably agree with me, that Friday's can get a bit boring in between sessions, because there's usually such large periods of time between seeing cars on track. Also true to a lesser extent on Saturday's. A constant stream of action for 2 days might be better for fans than a lot of heavily split up segments spread over 3 days. 

Of course I'm sure the other side of the debate will be the 'tradition' argument.
I think a 2 day event could be quite good, but, everything will have to run like clockwork in order for all the timetabled events to run on time. Any red flags in the races for example and everything will just get pushed back, and on a Friday for example, things will get tight in terms of daylight. 

The example you included there is pretty good actually, you've included everything that currently takes place. However, I think that one of the championships (probably Porsche Supercup) will have to go in order to fit everything in.

But if I had to make a timetable it would probably be something like this. Not much change but I'd have two 1 hour practice sessions for Formula 1, and I'd move the Porsche Supercup Qualifying to Saturday. This is so the Sunday is a bit less hectic and should allow for race stoppages in the support races without it having a massive effect on the rest of the day.

Saturday
- 08:15-08:45 | GP3 Practice
- 09:00-10:00 | F1 Practice 1
- 10:15-10:45 | GP2 Practice
- 11:00-11:30 | Porsche Supercup Practice
- 11:45-12:15 | GP3 Qualifying
- 12:30-13:00 | GP2 Qualifying
- 13:15-13:45 | Porsche Supercup Qualifying
- 14:00-15:00 | F1 Practice 2
- 15:15-16:00| GP3 Race 1
- 16:30-17:30 | GP2 Feature Race

Sunday
- 08:15-09:00 | GP3 Race 2
- 09:30-10:30 | F1 Qualifying
- 11:00-11:30 | Porsche Supercup Race
- 12:00-12:45 | GP2 Sprint Race
- 13:30-13:45 | Pit Lane Open
- 14:00-16:00 | F1 Race
MBKF1 said:
I think a 2 day event could be quite good, but, everything will have to run like clockwork in order for all the timetabled events to run on time. Any red flags in the races for example and everything will just get pushed back, and on a Friday for example, things will get tight in terms of daylight. 

The example you included there is pretty good actually, you've included everything that currently takes place. However, I think that one of the championships (probably Porsche Supercup) will have to go in order to fit everything in.

But if I had to make a timetable it would probably be something like this. Not much change but I'd have two 1 hour practice sessions for Formula 1, and I'd move the Porsche Supercup Qualifying to Saturday. This is so the Sunday is a bit less hectic and should allow for race stoppages in the support races without it having a massive effect on the rest of the day.

Saturday
- 08:15-08:45 | GP3 Practice
- 09:00-10:00 | F1 Practice 1
- 10:15-10:45 | GP2 Practice
- 11:00-11:30 | Porsche Supercup Practice
- 11:45-12:15 | GP3 Qualifying
- 12:30-13:00 | GP2 Qualifying
- 13:15-13:45 | Porsche Supercup Qualifying
- 14:00-15:00 | F1 Practice 2
- 15:15-16:00| GP3 Race 1
- 16:30-17:30 | GP2 Feature Race

Sunday
- 08:15-09:00 | GP3 Race 2
- 09:30-10:30 | F1 Qualifying
- 11:00-11:30 | Porsche Supercup Race
- 12:00-12:45 | GP2 Sprint Race
Hmm interesting. I did think about 15-minute gaps but they are rarely done now even with three days. Doesn't leave much time for podiums/clearing the pitlane.
VetteIfan said:
I initially groaned when I heard about potential 2 day F1 weekends, but it may not actually be such a bad idea. Anyone who's been to an F1 event on a Friday will probably agree with me, that Friday's can get a bit boring in between sessions, because there's usually such large periods of time between seeing cars on track. Also true to a lesser extent on Saturday's. A constant stream of action for 2 days might be better for fans than a lot of heavily split up segments spread over 3 days. 

Of course I'm sure the other side of the debate will be the 'tradition' argument.
Friday for me when I go is basically a walk around the circuit (Silverstone), buying any merchandise and checking  out what's going on. Then when practice starts we just go in a grandstand and watch for a bit and then carry on. On Saturday and Sunday it's more of a, sit at club until the event starts day. I like Friday to be honest, you get to see more of the track. Walking round the track with a chair on your shoulder is a bit more inconvenient in my opinion, so Walking around on a Saturday wouldn't be great. 

Unless they qualify on Sunday, then I do not mind so much, because that basically makes Saturday the old Friday.
fIsince08 said:
Hmm interesting. I did think about 15-minute gaps but they are rarely done now even with three days. Doesn't leave much time for podiums/clearing the pitlane.
Oh yeah of course :/ Well in that case, I'd probably get rid of the Porsche Supercup and make the timetable like this.

Saturday
- 08:20-08:50 | GP3 Practice
- 09:10-09:40 | GP2 Practice
- 10:00-11:00 | F1 Practice 1
- 11:20-11:50 | GP3 Qualifying
- 12:10-12:40 | GP2 Qualifying
- 13:00-14:00 | F1 Practice 2
- 14:30-15:30 | GP2 Feature Race
- 16:15-17:00 | GP3 Race 1

Sunday
- 08:30-09:15 | GP3 Race 2
- 10:00-11:00 | F1 Qualifying
- 11:45-12:30 | GP2 Sprint Race
Or we could just leave the schedule as it is? I like it being 3 days, it means there's 3 days I get to see F1, rather than 2.
I'd much rather do this and introduce a cost cap. Cost cap, louder cars, faster cars, cars that can pass without DRS and harder tyres would be practically perfect.
fIsince08 said:
Force India are close to becoming Johnnie Walker Aston Martin Racing Mercedes:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121578

Catchy.
Alongside the team name change, it is understood the livery will become blue and gold as part of a link-up with sponsor Johnnie Walker.

• UP100 pinned this topic