Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

MBKF1 said:
That's epic man, I really hope your site goes even further than it has already, if you could end up going to F1 races and reporting on them then that would just be the coolest thing!
That's the aim for next season! We've made had our GP2 editor in the paddock at three races I think, but sadly it costs a lot of money so we can't do it at every Grand Prix.
fIsince08 said:
So, most of you know that I'm an editor for Read Motorsport and that our site has been expanding. We took a big step yesterday as we got a place on the BBC F1 gossip column! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/gossip/
So basically you can make up any old BS now, and it will get published on BBC. Awesome. Make a story about Maldonado being in talks with Mercedes. 

Also, for anyone who's interested in their WEC, I saw a tweet today saying the quali lap from Brendon Hartley in Shangai was just 4 tenths off Hamilton's fastest race lap this year. Before anyone abuses me, I know it isn't an accurate comparison, and in a straight qualifying fight the F1 car had multiple seconds in hand. But when you consider the 200kg weight difference and the fact an LMP1 car could run at that pace all year if it wanted to, it's a mighty achievement. The 919 really is one of the greatest racing cars of the modern era.  
Mexicola said:
https://streamable.com/beo1

I know people are tired of hearing about how awful Sky are, but this is a new low.
Ugh. Anyone else find it interesting that the media was dogging on Hamilton for the most superficial, irrelevant things for the majority of his career, but now that he's starting to climb the record tables, surpassing some legends here and there, the majority of the media switched and is now taking Hammer Time to extreme levels?

At least we Dutch started with Max when he was still underage. Although that probably has more to do with our absolute lack of succesful Dutch drivers in F1 more than anything.
AMS97KRR said:
I also found that cringe worthy and I normally think that Ted is one of the only good things about Sky. It's pretty simple why he's faster, either he suddenly decided to try harder or Lewis decided he can't really be bothered any more :L
Or both of them are pushing like hell, like they have been all season, and Nico has just happened to have the better of Lewis the past two races. 

As for Sky F1, the Hamilton bias is one thing, but I think the main upside to the season ending in two weeks (other than the fact the season has been rubbish) is that I don't have to listen to any more David Croft commentary for 4 months. 
Yeah I'm honestly getting a bit tired of the Sky coverage.  I even watched the race on BBC today because I was fed up of listening to Crofty.

I think Sky should hire Jack Nichols, he's an absolute pro on the Formula E commentary, and I've listened to one of his F1 commentaries too when I've been out and about listening on radio. He's very knowledgeable, understandable to listen to, enthusiastic, he'd be a great lead commentator on the TV.
fIsince08 said:
Sky could really do with someone like John Hindhaugh or Martin Haven who don't get drawn down rabbit holes. David Addison would be an improvement, but he does it too sometimes.
I don't mind Coulthard's commentary on the BBC, maybe him and Brundle would be good together?
They were in 2011 and although they were very knowledgeable, Brundle as the main commentator was horrific. Matt is right, Sky should go after Jack Nicholls, but I'm not sure whether he has a long term contract on the BBC or now or what would happen with a Formula E clash.
They need a mix of an enthusiastic commentator and a knowledgeable one. Not two of either type. Brundle is good but needs someone else that's a bit more exciteable. I always liked him alongside Murray. Croft is just awful.. and I've only seen a few bits of him since I watch it on BBC.
I like Coulthard. He's both knowledgeable and he's quite funny as well and he's usually quite neutral. Plus he works well alongside Susie and Eddie. Although Ben Edwards... He's not as bad as James Allen or he who should not be named, Mr Legard...but that voice...and over enthusiasm at the smallest of things...it's like a form of medieval torture.
McLaren are looking a bit thin on sponsors aren't they.

Also, where's that Chandon sponsorship McLaren recently got? Remember they signed that deal the same time they re-signed Button, yet that sponsorship is nowhere to be seen on the cars.
A pretty interesting fact I read the other day, if Raikkonen scores one more point than Bottas in Abu Dhabi then the top 10 in the championship will finish in team by team order. (So Mercs, Ferraris, etc)

Shows how important the car is this year...
  • UP100 pinned this topic