Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Ferrari thinking about quiting F1 if they introduce independent engines. 

Sounds to me they don't want the mid field and slower/last place teams to catch up?

Link
Not up to speed (lol) with the independent engine-thing. Is the usual suggestion of 1 standard engine that'll get developed by everybody else seperately? Because Ferrari has been against that sort of thing for ages.
I'd say let them leave. They've been giving empty threats for decades and never followed through with it. I'm a Ferrari fan but the sport doesn't need them anymore. They're not as big or as important as they used to be, in 2014 you wouldn't have even noticed if they weren't there.
Yeah, have to agree with Jiggy. With viewership already in freefall mode, losing Ferrari would be catastrophic.  

And Mercedes do destroy competition, as much as they feasibly can. Not saying I wouldn't do the same thing in Toto's shoes, but they were the ones threatening to leave a few years back when the world wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. The same this season when Red Bull didn't get their way. It pretty much sums up the problem with F1, for the most part the guys making the decisions don't give a f*ck about the sport, only their own teams' welfare. 
Rumour that Hamilton won't be going to the Spoty awards. He already missed the Autosport awards, I'm sure watching those awards as a kid inspired him, think there's actually a video of him saying just that. Brundle was spot on, he got a lot of hate for saying Hamilton should make a little effort as it goes a long way. Love him on the track, but off the track he's very Hollywood.
Well to be fair to Lewis, he missed the Autosport Awards because he was invited to an event in the US by the President. I know this because I saw it on his Snapchat at the time, but it would be a great shame if he couldn't make the SPOTY. He's surely favourite again to win.
Low-key shots fired at Red Bull Racing.
I still remember the butthurt from all of the golf-fans in the UK last year. That was even better than Lewis winning tbh. 
That was fantastic.

"BUT HE DOESNT PAY TAXES, RORY HAS SO MUCH HONOR"
*wins 3rd title*
"OMG LEWIS THANK YOU FOR SAVING BRITISH HONOR"

Jiggy said:
I still remember the butthurt from all of the golf-fans in the UK last year. That was even better than Lewis winning tbh. 
That was fantastic.

*wins 3rd title*

*Honour* It has a "U" in it!!!

(Sorry, pet hate)
fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
That was fantastic.

*wins 3rd title*

(Sorry, pet hate)
NOT IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN! USA! USA! USA! STARS AND STRIPES! USA! US-oh wait, I'm Dutch.

Honour it is then.
Jiggy said:
fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
That was fantastic.

*wins 3rd title*

(Sorry, pet hate)
NOT IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN! USA! USA! USA! STARS AND STRIPES! USA! US-oh wait, I'm Dutch.

Honour it is then.
You aer right about that though actually we spell it with a U whereas the US don't. But then the US like t odo things differently I guess.
Jiggy said:
Hahaha wo, has Andy Murray actually won anything significant this season in tennis?
He was part of a team that won the Davis Cup. Individually no, nothing important. 

It's all irrelevant though. I'd say that SPOTY is almost certainly fixed. Lewis apparently won with nearly double the votes of anyone last year. This year he came 5th with less than 20% of the votes of the overall winner.

No man, not even Lewis Hamilton, can become that unpopular in 12 months. 
Hamilton is also a very blatant Arsenal-fan to the point some question whether he's actually not Theo Walcott under a code name or vice versa and there is no way that Arsenal Twitter would let one of their own lose a vote with that kind of margin.

Then again, Andy Murray is also a Gooner, so I guess something went wrong with the communications at the strategy meeting.
VetteIfan said:
Jiggy said:
Hahaha wo, has Andy Murray actually won anything significant this season in tennis?
He was part of a team that won the Davis Cup. Individually no, nothing important. 

It's all irrelevant though. I'd say that SPOTY is almost certainly fixed. Lewis apparently won with nearly double the votes of anyone last year. This year he came 5th with less than 20% of the votes of the overall winner.

No man, not even Lewis Hamilton, can become that unpopular in 12 months. 
Part of a team is selling him a bit short, he was the reason GB won the Davis Cup. It was the first time GB had won it since 1936, and he went unbeaten throughout the tournament. Incredible achievement.

Considering the shit the BBC got in a few years ago for adjusting the results of a competition, there's not a chance its fixed. If the government got a sniff that it was fixed they'd be all over it considering how much they want to shut down the BBC.

F1 viewing figures were down, Hamilton won last year and wasn't even at this year's event, people were hyped on Murray's achievements more than the dull F1 season. Plenty of reasons why Hamilton's votes were so low. Sinfield coming 2nd is a bit of a strange result, but the Northerner's have always been a bit weird.
Its not the best organised or of the highest performance, but out of the current top 20 players only 5 didn't play a Davis Cup match, and of the top 10 only Berdych and Gasquet didn't play (but France has 4 players in the top 20 so that doesn't mean much).

But as I said, GB won it for the first time in forever so that peaked people's interest, every match was shown on BBC and it was a recent event. All of that led to Murray being higher in the public's mind as we got closer to voting.
  • UP100 pinned this topic