Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In a way, I can see why he'd say that, as I do agree Williams won't win while Mercedes as a works team are still in F1. But I also don't see how they can beat McLaren Honda, as I'm quite sure that McLaren will end up producing a better chassis.

It's tough for Williams, they kind of need another engine manufacturer to come and power them like Honda have with McLaren.

It's a sad thing about the new engine formula, it's not as much down to the chassis anymore, it's your engine.
It could be a great move if and when Honda come good. I suppose it just depends on their deal with Mclaren though and whether or not Honda would have to show preference to Mclaren over any other team. If that's the case then they should use this time to work on other areas of their car. All this engine stuff could all change again in a few seasons anyway so it's probably more in their best interest to develop the rest of the car while they gain the prize money for at least fourth with a Merc engine. They can cross that bridge when they eventually arrive at it. Could wait to see what Red Bull do and whether a similar move could work as well.
Cheaper powertrain deals for 2018:
  • The hybrids will remain until at least 2020
  • Refueling is dropped again
  • Number of gearboxes reduced to three per season
  • Every team guaranteed a power supply
  • Other cost cutting factors to come here: http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10136177/f1-manufacturers-agree-to-lower-cost-of-customer-engines
MBKF1 said:
In a way, I can see why he'd say that, as I do agree Williams won't win while Mercedes as a works team are still in F1. But I also don't see how they can beat McLaren Honda, as I'm quite sure that McLaren will end up producing a better chassis.

It's tough for Williams, they kind of need another engine manufacturer to come and power them like Honda have with McLaren.

It's a sad thing about the new engine formula, it's not as much down to the chassis anymore, it's your engine.
And pre-2014 was chassis/aero dominated. It's catch 22. Having a formula which has performance equally determined by chassis as well as engine performance is all well and good, but if one team gets them both spot on (i.e Mercedes) their advantage is multiplied. During the periods when Red Bull dominated, they had the best chassis/aero package, but the engines were all fairly neutral towards the end of the V8 era. Mercedes for the past two seasons have had the dominant chassis and the dominant engine, so now there's two areas in which they have to be caught. 

It could be a great move if and when Honda come good. I suppose it just depends on their deal with Mclaren though and whether or not Honda would have to show preference to Mclaren over any other team. If that's the case then they should use this time to work on other areas of their car. All this engine stuff could all change again in a few seasons anyway so it's probably more in their best interest to develop the rest of the car while they gain the prize money for at least fourth with a Merc engine. They can cross that bridge when they eventually arrive at it. Could wait to see what Red Bull do and whether a similar move could work as well.
Big "if". As Renault have proven, a year of experience and promises of progress don't necessarily mean certain improvements in year 2. And besides, there's "coming good" and there's 'beating Mercedes' good. They could make big improvements next season and still be nowhere near the Mercedes'. Everything they're testing right now has probably been tested, evaluated and either accepted or rejected by Mercedes some 3 years ago. They're so far behind on the development curve and in terms of understanding that I have my doubts as to whether they'll ever catch the front runners. 
Williams isn't the team that should be chasing wins anyway, the Mercedes-engine gives them a level of competitiveness they haven't seen since the BMW-days and unless they become the de facto factory team of a major manufactor like with BMW, they'd be better off staying with Mercedes.

Moving to Honda would be a terrible idea, playing second fiddle to a team that's worse than you with an engine that's the worst in the paddock, made by people who usually don't get things right, until it's way too late and is suspect to dropping out when it goes really bad.
Yep I saw the times earlier, makes absolutely no sense. As you said, if there's a red flag and it goes to the full 4 hours then they won't finish it anyway as it will be dark, and the start of the race clashes with Le Mans!

I thought the entire point of them not revealing the start time until late was to avoid a clash?! Why didn't they just make the race start at 3pm local time (11am BST), then there wouldn't be any problem with the race finishing in the dark, and you'd still be able to watch the last hour of Le Mans.

Bloody useless. I can't believe they scheduled the race to be the same weekend as Le Mans in the first place.
So Manuel Maldonado (cousin of Pastor) will be racing in Italian F4 this year.

http://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/manuel-maldonado-to-make-single-seater-debut-in-italian-f4-670012/

If this guy is the Kylo Ren to the Darth Vader, then you can just imagine him turning up at his first F1 race in a few years and saying 'I will finish what you started', proceeding to crash out the entire field.
  • UP100 pinned this topic