Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

The matte black at the rear of the car looks cool. Other than that it's all pretty meh. Fortunately it's been confirmed its only an interim livery so hopefully they'll spice it up a bit before Melbourne. 

Quoted as saying they're targeting podiums "within 3 years". Not very aspirational, but shows how far behind they know they are on the engine front. 

Spot on Martin https://twitter.com/mbrundlef1/status/694887423709327360

VetteIfan said:
The matte black at the rear of the car looks cool. Other than that it's all pretty meh. Fortunately it's been confirmed its only an interim livery so hopefully they'll spice it up a bit before Melbourne. 

Quoted as saying they're targeting podiums "within 3 years". Not very aspirational, but shows how far behind they know they are on the engine front. 
Well they are using the same car as last year, only the power has changed, so it's no surprise really.

I think it's alright, obviously could do with a bit more yellow but I'm sure they'll rectify that come Melbourne.

However, I'm not actually a fan of the matte black at the rear. It doesn't fit with the glossy black right next to it.

I've always liked black cars though, looks pretty bad-ass to me.

Even though it's mostly boring, I still like it better than the 2010 livery.
In my opion the 2010 Renault is one of the best looking F1 cars of this century, right up there with any of the Jordans, the Jags, Orange Arrows and blue/yellow Renaults. A million miles better than anything else that year or since for me.

APR193 said:
Even though it's mostly boring, I still like it better than the 2010 livery.
In my opion the 2010 Renault is one of the best looking F1 cars of this century, right up there with any of the Jordans, the Jags, Orange Arrows and blue/yellow Renaults. A million miles better than anything else that year or since for me.
Well it would be if you like yellow, orange, or green :p I will admit I loved the blue and yellow Renault livery though. As for 2010, this'll probably be an unpopular opinion, but I liked the McLaren livery best that year.

I'd say I probably don't actually have a favourite livery overall.  Though I must admit, even though it's painful, Red Bull's 'camo' testing livery was just awesome :)

MBKF1 said:
It was so completely unexpected, that's what made it so cool I think. It's a shame they didn't keep that effect but added in the colours where the black would have been.
Exactly dude. When Christian Horner said the livery for the season would be even better, I was hoping they were gonna do what you just mentioned, keep the same kinda camo thing but put the usual Red Bull colours into it. When it turned out to pretty much be the same livery they#ve run since 2009, that sucked lol.

BAR had two of the best liveries of all time, but they couldn't do it, did a botched fusion like first time Gotenks and went for a lame all-white livery to make it look more Honda-y.

Also Renault's new livery sucks. It's horrible and boring, just like F1 as a whole. I even cried a little.

coolieboy said:
I was so excited to see what the 2017 cars were supposed to look like.  Now I've just read that they are going ahead with the halo device over the cockpit.  It's going to ruin the look of the cars imo. 
This (http://imgur.com/a/DF5Ra) is the kind of thing that'd look amazing to me. I've been back and looked at it multiple times today :p The guy who's created it has done a brilliant job!

coolieboy said:
I was so excited to see what the 2017 cars were supposed to look like.  Now I've just read that they are going ahead with the halo device over the cockpit.  It's going to ruin the look of the cars imo. 
This (http://imgur.com/a/DF5Ra) is the kind of thing that'd look amazing to me. I've been back and looked at it multiple times today :p The guy who's created it has done a brilliant job!
Nice find. Now that looks sweet. That concept looks more evolved than that halo nonsense. 

The Renault livery to me stinks of "if we paint it plain black no-one will notice we're even here". No manufacturer wants traditional and successful liveries/colours associated with a terrible car. With the hole Renault know they are in and how far they admit they are behind, I don't think they're interested in publicity

APR193 said:
The Renault livery to me stinks of "if we paint it plain black no-one will notice we're even here". No manufacturer wants traditional and successful liveries/colours associated with a terrible car. With the hole Renault know they are in and how far they admit they are behind, I don't think they're interested in publicity
Lol. I guess they want to blend in with the McLarens at the back of the pack. I was expecting them to use the Infiniti purplish/blue color along with yellow accents.  I have a feeling that the black and yellow livery will change come Australia.

That concept Prawn posted is probably the most elegant one I've seen of all of them so far, it still looks badass like F1 should be, and seems like a good solution anyway.

In other news, I made an edit yesterday of the new Renault livery. I've simply added some yellow paint and re-positioned a couple of sponsors, but I think it's an improvement quite honestly.

Looks much better. Nice job MBKF1. I don't suppose you have the time to replace the black with the Infiniti blue color?   ;)  On a side note, has there ever been a successful team with a black color scheme in Formula 1?  The only one I can think of was the black John Players Special car that senna drove. I think it was a Lotus. 

You should probably replace whoevers in charge of designing their liveries. That's a big improvement. Send Mclaren some inspiration too while you're at it!

As for other cars with the black colour scheme.. I can't remember many but there was the 04/05 Minardi, the 98 Arrows, the old Sauber's and the Shadow team and of course the legendary 15 Mclaren. A group of cars that shook the F1 heavens.

coolieboy said:
Looks much better. Nice job MBKF1. I don't suppose you have the time to replace the black with the Infiniti blue color?   ;)  On a side note, has there ever been a successful team with a black color scheme in Formula 1?  The only one I can think of was the black John Players Special car that senna drove. I think it was a Lotus. 
Thank you! Yeah the main one I can think of was the JPS Lotus, they won with Fittipaldi in 1972 and Andretti in 1978 (I think), and obviously had some wins with Senna too.
You should probably replace whoevers in charge of designing their liveries. That's a big improvement. Send Mclaren some inspiration too while you're at it!

As for other cars with the black colour scheme.. I can't remember many but there was the 04/05 Minardi, the 98 Arrows, the old Sauber's and the Shadow team and of course the legendary 15 Mclaren. A group of cars that shook the F1 heavens.
Ha, it's funny but I really didn't do much, I literally added a couple of yellow stripes, but I think it works well.

• UP100 pinned this topic