Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

ancoolieboy said:
Looks much better. Nice job MBKF1. I don't suppose you have the time to replace the black with the Infiniti blue color?   ;)  On a side note, has there ever been a successful team with a black color scheme in Formula 1?  The only one I can think of was the black John Players Special car that senna drove. I think it was a Lotus. 

Lotus had a couple of podiums and a win in 2011 and 2012 with the black colour scheme then too.

coolieboy said:
I was so excited to see what the 2017 cars were supposed to look like.  Now I've just read that they are going ahead with the halo device over the cockpit.  It's going to ruin the look of the cars imo. 
I wouldn't mind so much if the halo concept was actually an effective solution, but across recent memory it wouldn't have helped any of the injuries/deaths caused by an open cockpit.

The loose spring that hit Massa back in 2009 in Hungary would've probably missed the front support of the halo concept considering it hit he corner of his helmet. If Grosjean had been a couple of feet to the left at Spa in 2012, a halo would not have protected Alonso from a flying car. For Justin Wilson, the nosecone hit him pretty much in a vertical motion on the top of the helmet, an area which is unprotected by the halo. And needless to say for Wheldon and Bianchi, a halo would've done nothing with the shear force of those incidents.

That said, it might well have helped Henry Surtees. But he was hit by a loose tyre, something that isn't too common an issue in F1 (fortunately) due to the great job that the wheel tethers do in the majority of situations. 

Ultimately, if the concept is introduced and it does end up saving a life, it will be worth it. But it's a half way house solution, and if F1 is now definitely looking in to forms of head protection something needs to be there that protects a driver in the majority of circumstances, not just certain scenarios. Which means F1 will probably have to take the plunge on whether to go to fully enclosed cockpits or not in the near future. Because this doesn't seem like a permeanent solution in terms of safety, spectacle or practicality. 

I know its not my life on the line so its not for me to decide on closed cockpits or not, but I won't be watching when they do bring it in. All it will be then is a sports car with the wheel arches missing.

I barely watched any of last years as it was with the cars being ugly/sounding terrible/racing was boring. Texas was one of the only races I watched live and to be fair I really enjoyed that race, but F1 can't consistently create good racing in the way other forms of motorsport can.

APR193 said:
I know its not my life on the line so its not for me to decide on closed cockpits or not, but I won't be watching when they do bring it in. All it will be then is a sports car with the wheel arches missing.

I barely watched any of last years as it was with the cars being ugly/sounding terrible/racing was boring. Texas was one of the only races I watched live and to be fair I really enjoyed that race, but F1 can't consistently create good racing in the way other forms of motorsport can.
The cars should look a lot better though in 2017 with the aero changes. I don't think they sound terrible either, just queit ;)

I don't think canopies change much so it's not gonna stop me from watching. We have plenty of serious problems in F1 that would get me to stop watching but canopies are not on the list. 

I thought the halo design was stupid though. There was really nothing it would actually prevent and only made the cars look dumb. But with the glass surrounds I don't mind it. It reminds me of a modern take on the mid 70s cars. And I think it might actually provide some level of safety. 

Is is it a necessary move? Probably not. Is it worth looking into? Absolutely. 

Looks better with the canopy but as everyone says, will it even help at all? Been pointed in this thread out that the recent injuries wouldn't have been prevented by this design. All it seems to do is stick something in front of the driver obscuring part of their view, and what's more safe than blocking their view? :neutral:
If they're looking for head protection then the only realistic solution is to cover the whole cockpit if they are to do anything.

Yeah I don't think the halo idea would be the best solution, I think if they are going to do head protection then going totally undercover would be the best, with some kind of quick release system in case of a roll over. Obviously I have no idea how easy that would be but, the halo idea just wouldn't work in most cases, such as debris.

While the standard halo wouldn't work to prevent debris, with the 'glass' surrounds enclosing the halo it would. So I agree if they are going to introduce some sort of additional head protection they need to do it right, and the standard halo is not that. 

Still neither would have prevented the recent deaths. Mass's injury might have been avoided. And incidents like Grosjean/Alonso at Spa or Raikkonen/Alonso in 2015 might have had a larger margin of safety; but fortunately neither those accidents resulted in an injury. 

There's a report in Italy suggesting that the simulations of the new Ferrari (or the "667") could've found around 1.5 seconds in the new car. It also includes that the engine is now in excess of 900bhp, similar to the Mercedes. 

Seen as it's Italian, you could probably group it in to the same probability of being correct as that of the new Honda engine finding 223bhp. Even though Ferrari have been claiming optimism all winter, 1.5 seconds is enormous. Still, if this season does end up being another Mercedes' whitewash I'd at least like to get a little excited now that we might get a title fight, before being heavily disappointed. 

I say aim low to avoid disappointment, I'm expecting Mercedes to have found another 150bhp and everyone else to have not gained anything near as much, and it'll be complete and utter Mercedes domination, as in, they come first and second in every session, and lead every lap of every race.

Then fingers crossed I won't be disappointed when Ferrari come and challenge them!

• UP100 pinned this topic