Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

I just think using Matte paint makes all the difference, love the Red Bull even though I'm not a fan of the team (although Ricciardo won the championship I'd be really happy, not going to happen though)

For me the Ferrari looks as good as it did in the photo shoot in terms of the colour scheme, but man that nose is ugly. It looks like someone who's done too much coke which has eaten it away and left a little stub :joy: 

I hope either Mclaren or Renault update their livery or it might get confusing telling which one is which. Then there's STR deciding to make it even more difficult to tell by turning up with the same livery. Perhaps the black paint is on offer somewhere at the moment. Paint one car, get the second done for free.

I hope either Mclaren or Renault update their livery or it might get confusing telling which one is which. Then there's STR deciding to make it even more difficult to tell by turning up with the same livery. Perhaps the black paint is on offer somewhere at the moment. Paint one car, get the second done for free.
Toro Rosso are getting their livery at the next test. Renault are rumoured to be adding more yellow at Melbourne too.

Success ballast is o.k for amateur racing series as a low cost way to balance performance rather than costly & time consuming scrutineering but not for top level motorsport. I think Donald Trump should take over F1 if the presidency doesn't work out. He couldn't be any crazier than the people in charge now. Changing qualifying is so far away from what needs addressing in F1. :o

Success ballast is o.k for amateur racing series as a low cost way to balance performance rather than costly & time consuming scrutineering but not for top level motorsport. I think Donald Trump should take over F1 if the presidency doesn't work out. He couldn't be any crazier than the people in charge now. Changing qualifying is so far away from what needs addressing in F1. :o
He would probably kick Perez and Gutierrez out of F1 immediately though.
And Kyvat of course, for being a commie red bastard.

Now that we've finished the first test, I think it's a good time to play the good old "Predict the pecking order based on little to no evidence" game. 

1) Mercedes
2) Ferrari
3) Williams
4) Force India
5) Toro Rosso
6) Red Bull
7) McLaren
8) Haas
9) Renault
10) Sauber
11) Manor

It's difficult to judge Mercedes given they've really chased reliability all week and not speed, but I predict they still have an advantage. Same to an extent with Ferrari, they've put the ultrasofts and supersofts on a few times but a lot of that car is still in 2015 spec so I expect their true performance next week.

Force India vs Williams should be a great battle this season. Toro Rosso chassis looks amazing again, and as I sort of predicted last season it looks as though the 2015 Ferrari PU is ahead of the 2016 Renault PU, so I think they have a real chance of beating Red Bull.

Meanwhile McLaren still clearly have reliability issues and are still well down in the speed traps. Looks as though they might've closed in on Renault though, who seem to be pretty much stationary in the development "race". 

And credit where it is due, Haas have had a very solid opening test, both with reliability and pace. An entirely different proposition from the new teams of 2010. 

I'd agree with most of that order. Mercedes is clearly ahead still. The fact that they can run those kind of distances means it's a bullet proof car and they know speed will be there. Ferrari I think have made a huge step forward and I think there should be some good battles. 

Willians, FI, RB, and TR should be a good battle. 

I think Haas is right behind them with McLaren and Renault. I'd probably give an edge to Haas but it'll be a good battle. And if Haas does beat them it will be really embarrassing. 

• UP100 pinned this topic