Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

I stumbled across that article earlier this morning, everyone should have a read. I agree with you Hughesy, this is one of those situations where having an open cockpit would have helped a lot more.

It's such a dilemma, there are definitely pros and cons to both.

Like I said before, not only is it disgusting looking, it obstructs visibility and does sweet FA in protecting the driver. I seriously doubt that thing is strong enough to properly deflect something like a wheel or another car.

If we're seriously going for cockpit protection, then it would have to be an entirely enclosed canopy. Which, for obvious reasons, is out of the question.

Nico Rosberg says "Massive safety improvement". Mexicola says "you're a goddamn moron".

Jiggy said:
I would wonder how a fire like that would happen in an open formula with a canopy.

Also, I like the irony of a system meant to prevent deaths being dubbed the "halo".
There's all sorts of electronics that can catch fire under the drivers arse, also if fuel leaks the car can go up really quick and for whatever reason the canopy might not open, like if you crash and somethings stuck you get cooked alive.

Mexicola said:
Like I said before, not only is it disgusting looking, it obstructs visibility and does sweet FA in protecting the driver. I seriously doubt that thing is strong enough to properly deflect something like a wheel or another car.

If we're seriously going for cockpit protection, then it would have to be an entirely enclosed canopy. Which, for obvious reasons, is out of the question.

Nico Rosberg says "Massive safety improvement". Mexicola says "you're a goddamn moron".
Sorry to do this Mexi, but in terms of protection...

This is another design they were looking at too, which honestly I prefer the look of, but below it i
s how it performed in testing. I don't think it's a bad result at all, but the FIA weren't happy it seems. Also linking the article these images came from at the bottom of this post if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/2/11147832/f1-closed-cockpits-fia-tests-photos

*just look two posts above you lazy fffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
Ah right, I stand corrected on that, but the rest still stands. Visibility is an issue, it still won't prevent small debris like what happened to Massa, and a wheel properly positioned could still reach the helmet. Not totally opposed to cockpit protection, but it has to be done properly or not at all. This halo, in my opinion, is not satisfactory.

Mexicola said:
*just look two posts above you lazy fffffffffffffffffffffffffff*
Ah right, I stand corrected on that, but the rest still stands. Visibility is an issue, it still won't prevent small debris like what happened to Massa, and a wheel properly positioned could still reach the helmet. Not totally opposed to cockpit protection, but it has to be done properly or not at all. This halo, in my opinion, is not satisfactory.
Agreed on all points bud. Apparently Red Bull have also come up with their own design too which they claim is better than the Halo, but they haven't shown it publicly yet.

I think maybe it's time F1 took a look at WEC's fully enclosed tbh. Like they bloody well should have looked at the Le Mans 60KPH yellow zones instead of the stupid VLC which allows Rosberg drivers to cheat and close the gap despite it being introduced to stop that. As much as people will bitch and moan that F1 is supposed to be open cockpit, I'd rather see a closed cockpit than the half effort of the Halo.

"Properly or not at all" is pretty much my thoughts.

One of my biggest problems is they only seem to be focussing on avoiding flying tyres, when in F1 small pieces of debris are the biggest risk to drivers. Tyres rarely fly off in a violent way nowadays due to the amazing wheel tethers on the car. 

And another point, if this is introduced next year, judging by that video we're going to be having tyres and other pieces of debris launched high in to the air and coming back down again at a rapid pace. That was pretty much exactly the cause of Justin Wilson's death when the nose cone hit him on top of the head. I know this will probably happen with any kind of canopy/head protection, but it's just another thing to think about. 

Agreed on all points bud. Apparently Red Bull have also come up with their own design too which they claim is better than the Halo, but they haven't shown it publicly yet.

I think maybe it's time F1 took a look at WEC's fully enclosed tbh. Like they bloody well should have looked at the Le Mans 60KPH yellow zones instead of the stupid VLC which allows Rosberg drivers to cheat and close the gap despite it being introduced to stop that. As much as people will bitch and moan that F1 is supposed to be open cockpit, I'd rather see a closed cockpit than the half effort of the Halo.
Problem with the fully enclosed approach is that in the event of the car being upside down, poor bastard's going to be trapped, not to mention the overheating issues that will come with it, although there's probably some solution to it.

Mexicola said:

Problem with the fully enclosed approach is that in the event of the car being upside down, poor bastard's going to be trapped, not to mention the overheating issues that will come with it, although there's probably some solution to it.
They just gotta look at WEC again bud. It'll take a fair bit of redesign, but it's probably best to do that, start with a blank sheet, rather than trying to shoehorn cockpit protection to the current design of the cars.

Rather than a driver having to leave the car from above them, the door on either side approach of WEC could work with a sidepod change. Plus in WEC the doors have explosive bolts to aid a driver escaping, and cockpit air con is mandatory. It'll increase the weight of the cars and obviously drop lap times, but with the kind of time frame it would take to implement stuff like this, there'd likely be time to develop a much more powerful electronic component to the engine to increase acceleration in an effort to not drop much lap time. And of course there's always improvements to be made from the tires!

I'm just gonna pop two pics below that when I saw them got my cogs working lol. I don't want F1 to copy WEC completely, but WEC just seems to have nailed the driver protection side of things.

Hughesy said:
This is why I like Lewis as a driver, No f**** given
https://twitter.com/skysportsf1/status/705765428900003841

Rosberg however.....
https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/705369326648496128
You're not holding this against Rosberg right?

About the canopy-thing, being trapped in the car while it's on fire, with the canopy malfunctioning, sounds more unlikely to me than stuff hitting them on the heads. And about them being trapped if the car is upside down, if they can install an emergency full-release system where the entire thing comes off, you should be able to solve that problem. Unless you're in a situation where you would've been trapped regardless.

Hülkenberg and Ricciardo are beefing over this now too, Ricciardo said that Hulk shouldn't be a hero after the latter said he'd take the risks for granted if it meant not having to drive with the halo.

Silly Formula 1 drivers, wanting their sport to be as safe as possible so they don't get seriously injured or die of something that could have been avoided. :') 
I agree. The sport can be just as exciting (err...in theory, nor right now though) and dangerous AND still protect the drivers.

• UP100 pinned this topic