Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Pirelli have released the drivers' tyre choice for Australia

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/3/pirelli-reveal-driver-tyre-choices-for-australia.html

While this is going to be a nightmare to follow, it is actually quite interesting looking at some of the strategies that have been chosen. Hamilton has sacrificed a set of mediums for an extra set of softs compared to the other front runners. Red Bull have sacrificed two sets of softs to have an extra set of medium and supersofts. And Manor have gone a different way entirely and pretty much sacrificed everything in favour of having loads of mediums. 

fIsince08 said:
Teams are all going too soft for my liking, apart from Manor. I'll hold judgement though until we have a race.
Yeah I kinda agree. Last year's race was a one stop for most with one stint on the soft tyre and one stint on medium tyre. So assuming the tyres are roughly similar this year, in theory teams should only really need two sets of mediums - one set for the race and one set for a race sim on Friday.

But the fact that quite a lot of drivers have only got one set of mediums almost makes me think that they're only planning to run the softs and supersofts in the race. Otherwise they'll be running on the medium tyre in the race with no prior experience of them on that track from Friday, which would be a pretty bold strategy. It'll be interesting to see. 

As confusing and convoluted as these new rules are, they may actually result in some interesting strategy calls. Although so far it appears that the majority have chosen very similar tires so it may not be as interesting as we hoped, but still a lot of variables. 

Teams that picked only one set of mediums will probably use it during practice to get the car set up for race simulation. A shift towards more softer compounds might allow the drivers to push harder, only IF the tires are fast enough to allow for an extra pitstop though.. otherwise it'll be business as usual.

As confusing and convoluted as these new rules are, they may actually result in some interesting strategy calls. Although so far it appears that the majority have chosen very similar tires so it may not be as interesting as we hoped, but still a lot of variables. 

Teams that picked only one set of mediums will probably use it during practice to get the car set up for race simulation. A shift towards more softer compounds might allow the drivers to push harder, only IF the tires are fast enough to allow for an extra pitstop though.. otherwise it'll be business as usual.
They won't. For Australia the designated tyres for the race from Pirelli are a set of mediums and a set of softs (i.e sets that can only be used for the race). So any driver that has only one set of mediums available will only be able to use them in the race, if they choose to. When you think about it that way, the likes of Hamilton didn't actually "choose" any medium tyres for his selection for the weekend, seen as they are a mandatory set given to every driver. For the tyres he had an option over he chose all softs and supersofts. 

Thats my my interpretaiom of it all anyway. There's a brilliant video explaining it all on YouTube (not the vague Ted Kravitz one) which makes it easier to understand. It's one of the top results when you search something like "F1 2016 tyre rules". 

As far as I was aware, I thought that you only had to use one of the designated sets of tyres chosen by Pirelli in the race?

So for Australia for example, Pirelli have chosen a set of mediums and a set of softs. Lewis Hamilton could run the softs in the race, and he won't have to run the mediums as long as he does this, so he is allowed to run them in practice.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works, that's what I gathered from that Will Buxton video anyway.

MBKF1 said:
As far as I was aware, I thought that you only had to use one of the designated sets of tyres chosen by Pirelli in the race?

So for Australia for example, Pirelli have chosen a set of mediums and a set of softs. Lewis Hamilton could run the softs in the race, and he won't have to run the mediums as long as he does this, so he is allowed to run them in practice.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works, that's what I gathered from that Will Buxton video anyway.
Yes. Pirelli nominate two sets that are for the race only, but you only need to run one. I think the two compound rule still applies as well. The two nominated sets are the same for every driver too.

This has me thinking, as well as prime and option, what's the third compound going to be called by the teams?

@mike96 Nah, the channel is called "Chain Bear F1". I would love to link it but my phone disagrees right now. 
___________________________________________________________________________________
fIsince08 said:
Yes. Pirelli nominate two sets that are for the race only, but you only need to run one. I think the two compound rule still applies as well. The two nominated sets are the same for every driver too.

This has me thinking, as well as prime and option, what's the third compound going to be called by the teams?
___________________________________________________________________________________

I asked this two pages ago and no-one responded. Probably something goofy like "SuperPrime". 

But no @MBKF1, to repeat my last post the mediums are a designated set for the race (i.e they can only be used in the race). He can't use the one set which he has in practice, only in the race. But as you correctly point out, he doesn't have to use them in the race if he uses the other nominated tyre set (i.e the soft tyres). But he can use both if he wants to.

But yeah, the main point where I think you and Chadwick are confused is that all cars that only have one set of mediums, can only use that set in the race. Because that's the mandatory race set from Pirelli. 

Alright I see what you're saying, so really one set of mediums and one set of mediums are the tires that Pirelli has picked for the race, with the super soft being the Q3 tire. The other ten are up to the driver. So Hamilton didn't pick any mediums and since it's a race set he can't use it until the race. BUT he doesn't have to use it during the race as long as he uses the soft set Pirelli designated for the race. I think... These rules are confusing. 

So hypothetically if the two race sets designated by Pirelli were the soft and super softs, Hamilton could use his sole set of mediums for practice. Maybe??

Alright I see what you're saying, so really one set of mediums and one set of mediums are the tires that Pirelli has picked for the race, with the super soft being the Q3 tire. The other ten are up to the driver. So Hamilton didn't pick any mediums and since it's a race set he can't use it until the race. BUT he doesn't have to use it during the race as long as he uses the soft set Pirelli designated for the race. I think... These rules are confusing. 

So hypothetically if the two race sets designated by Pirelli were the soft and super softs, Hamilton could use his sole set of mediums for practice. Maybe??
Yes, but only if he picked a set of mediums for his allocation.

Spot on  :p

I study Motorsport Engineering so I have a commitment to keep up to date with all current motorsport related activities (or at least that's what our lecturers say). Unfortunately so, in this case. 

Jiggy said:
Once people need a law-degree to understand tyre-rules, you just know F1 is heading into the wrong direction.
Haha I have a law degree and I still have trouble understanding them. 
So that's two of us already. :D
2 + 1 studying it. And I don't get it either.
Haha didn't realize there were so many lawyers in the room!

• UP100 pinned this topic