Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

If this is true then what on earth are Monza thinking? Not one single person has ever gone around curva grande on two or four wheels and said "you know what would improve this, a chicane". They had to open up at turn 1 a few years ago for the bikes as the one that F1 use was causing too many injuries in first lap crashes with 30 bikes going from 180mph to 40mph whilst first and last place were only 30 metres from each other. Don't see how adding a chicane around a blind flat out 140mph bend on a bike is any better than what turn 1 was a few years back.

Once you get past the fact no-one wants it, and the danger it may cause, there's an old saying that fast tracks make great racing. Chicane's don't
We're not even a week in to the new season, and between the qualifying rules and the loss of free to air TV, off track topics are already dominating the sport's headlines. Can the bigwigs in F1 not see that this is one of the simplest problems that need fixing? Focus needs to be on competition.
VetteIfan said:
We're not even a week in to the new season, and between the qualifying rules and the loss of free to air TV, off track topics are already dominating the sport's headlines. Can the bigwigs in F1 not see that this is one of the simplest problems that need fixing? Focus needs to be on competition.
Bernie's piles of money are blocking the view.
Sometimes F1 reminds me of a toddler. You takes your eyes just one second of it, and boom, it's busy trying to kill itself.

I think it will if it stays on the course it's on I just read through twitter that Sky aer trying to get exclusive rights to everything F1 which will mean that we'#d have to get pay TV to watch it once Channel 4's contract is up

Sometimes F1 reminds me of a toddler. You takes your eyes just one second of it, and boom, it's busy trying to kill itself.

I think it will if it stays on the course it's on I just read through twitter that Sky aer trying to get exclusive rights to everything F1 which will mean that we'#d have to get pay TV to watch it once Channel 4's contract is up

It's even more mind-boggling after the GPDA letter. This is exactly the sort of thing the drivers criticized.
I just genuinely hope one day in the next few years, all people responsible see the light and start treating this sport with the respect it should be treated. Otherwise it won't be long before we see the last Formula 1 race ever.
The whole governing structure of F1 needs an revamp. I doubt it would be enough to just replace Bernie. Pretty much all the people responsible, and especially the right holders, are stuck in the middle ages.

Also, who would fit the bill to replace Bernie? Alex Wurz possibly? He knows the sport, is genuinely interested in improving it, and he's young. The sport certainly needs some young blood.
The whole governing structure of F1 needs an revamp. I doubt it would be enough to just replace Bernie. Pretty much all the people responsible, and especially the right holders, are stuck in the middle ages.

Also, who would fit the bill to replace Bernie? Alex Wurz possibly? He knows the sport, is genuinely interested in improving it, and he's young. The sport certainly needs some young blood.
Alex Wurz was actually the first name that came to my mind as I was writing that post :p 
Mexicola said:
So, F1 leaves free to air TV in UK, elimination qualifying is going to continue for Bahrain, Gary Brabham has been found guilty of child rape and the drivers are starting to act against the powers that be.

This sport is a damn mess.
Indeed jus tread on yahoo that Quali's staying the same as well. If that's the case I'm not going to bother watching qualifying.
Think the most damning aspect of that statement is dcotors apparently being in fear of getting sued or having their license taken away (I think, not sure if I understood that properly) if they follow FIA's extremely outdated protocols down to the letter.
I watched a fantastic interview with him earlier this week funnily enough, his one with Mario Muth on YouTube from a couple of years back, so while he didn't talk about these issues, he spoke very well and he clearly knows what he's talking about. He's that sort of 'say it how it is', no b*llocks kind of guy.

He speaks so much sense though there, Formula 1 is an absolute mess right now. For every one thing that's good about it, there's 5 things which can be massively improved.
  • UP100 pinned this topic