Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Rumours are going around through Dutch TV and Sky Sports that Sauber have run out of cash and won't race in China. It's such a shame if it's true but they have been so badly managed recently it won't surprise me.
fIsince08 said:
Rumours are going around through Dutch TV and Sky Sports that Sauber have run out of cash and won't race in China. It's such a shame if it's true but they have been so badly managed recently it won't surprise me.
Yeah, would be a shame. BMW Sauber with Robert Kubica was one of my favourites back then. And in a perfect world Ferrari would buy them and revive Alfa Romeo, but let's face it, F1 is anything but perfect.
Perhaps Mclaren should jump in and effectively make them their B team. The other big teams have done it: Mercedes with Manor, Ferrari with Haas, Red Bull with Toro Rosso. Get Honda to supply them which would give them more data to work with, would give Vandoorne a drive to ready himself for when Button and/or Alonso retire (if they don't this year) before he steps into Mclaren full time and it saves Sauber. Win/win, except for Mclaren's short term bank balance I suppose.

Either that or expect a driver with a lot more money to be in that car in the near future. While Nasr and Ericsson are still contracted to drive of course. That's the Sauber way.
Perhaps Mclaren should jump in and effectively make them their B team. The other big teams have done it: Mercedes with Manor, Ferrari with Haas, Red Bull with Toro Rosso. Get Honda to supply them which would give them more data to work with, would give Vandoorne a drive to ready himself for when Button and/or Alonso retire (if they don't this year) before he steps into Mclaren full time and it saves Sauber. Win/win, except for Mclaren's short term bank balance I suppose.

Either that or expect a driver with a lot more money to be in that car in the near future. While Nasr and Ericsson are still contracted to drive of course. That's the Sauber way.
That would be far too logical for F1
Hughesy said:

That would be far too logical for F1
indeed it seems like F1 like ridiculous answers rather than logical ones atm. That's already been proven by the ridiculous quali rules we have right now
Better off I suppose, Kaltenborn has destroyed that team through poor management and dodgy business. The Sauber name should have been retired along with Peter himself. It's such a shame the team's ended up like this, after starting out with Mercedes by killing it in the WSC with Schumacher, Wendlinger, Mass, then moving on to Formula 1 being a very solid and respectable midfield team to even having a championship contender with Robert Kubica in 2008.

Now they're cash strapped, they've had poor performances (They scored no points in 2014, what the hell) and they massively screwed Giedo van der Garde last year. Kaltenborn is the cancer that killed Sauber if you ask me.
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15138570/mercedes-data-shows-toro-rosso-least-powerful-engine-f1

Interesting. If those data are to be believed wouldn't that mean the McLaren chassis is nowhere near as good as Ron Dennis and co. like to claim? We all know the Renault is lacking in that department, just take a look at where Red Bull is and where the works team is, but what can you expect. They have to pretty much use the previous year Lotus chassis.
Also, if the 2015 Ferrari PU is that weak, then how flipping good is this year's Toro Rosso chassis?
I won't pretend to understand these engines in any way (in fact just trying to gives me a headache) but I wouldn't think outright power is the only factor. Honda still seem to struggle with deployment and harvesting compared to the rest while the Renault doesn't look as strong on traction so although the 2015 Ferrari might be least powerful, it's probably not the worst. If the engines were all quite close like that article suggests, the Red Bull would be a hell of a lot closer to Merc and Ferrari and the Mclaren and Renault wouldn't still be several mph off the fastest cars in the speed traps.
Good news everybody!

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/718096716805890048
finally it seems sense has prevailed let's see for how long.
Well, there is this piece of information floating about:

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/718104386052964352

Not really sure why the format needs any sort of review. Sure, improvements can always be made, but this sounds like another unnecessary change waiting to happen.
Good news everybody!

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/718096716805890048
finally it seems sense has prevailed let's see for how long.
Well, there is this piece of information floating about:

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/718104386052964352

Not really sure why the format needs any sort of review. Sure, improvements can always be made, but this sounds like another unnecessary change waiting to happen.
that's why I said let's see for how long because they'll always want to try to change something
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15138570/mercedes-data-shows-toro-rosso-least-powerful-engine-f1

Interesting. If those data are to be believed wouldn't that mean the McLaren chassis is nowhere near as good as Ron Dennis and co. like to claim? We all know the Renault is lacking in that department, just take a look at where Red Bull is and where the works team is, but what can you expect. They have to pretty much use the previous year Lotus chassis.
Also, if the 2015 Ferrari PU is that weak, then how flipping good is this year's Toro Rosso chassis?
The Toro Rosso chassis has been one of the best since the start of 2015. At turns 3 & 9 in Barcelona, two corners where you simply need as much downforce and the best balance possible, the only car quicker than it was the Mercedes last season. 

There's been plenty of evidence across the first two races that the engines are much closer in performance this season. Williams are the big giveaway. Over the past two seasons they've been somewhat reliant on the power advantage they've had over some of their competition. Now the engines are more evenly matched their chassis deficit has been revealed and they've been jumped by both Red Bull and Toro Rosso, and possibly even Haas in the hands of Grosjean. It's shown by Force India as well. They were shockingly off the pace in Bahrain - a circuit they usually excel at. 

I've got to say though I'm surprised by Paddy's assessment of the current power situation. If Renault and Honda have really taken that kind of step then bravo. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic