Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
It still needs to be approved and published by WMSC though, so I wouldn't call it 100% confirmed yet :#

I would have thought that since all the teams have agreed to it it will be though.
This is Formula 1, logic doesn't come into it bud.
True but seeing as the teams won't settle for anything else they may as well give in otherwise we could end up with a situation where we will see no action in qualifying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXJtrz1m9Y

Say what you want about F1, but their social media appearances are definitely improving. Unfortunately they still can't be bothered to post their latest Race Edits also now known as Director's Cuts on their YouTube channel: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video.html

Some high quality stuff, right there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXJtrz1m9Y

Say what you want about F1, but their social media appearances are definitely improving. Unfortunately they still can't be bothered to post their latest Race Edits also now known as Director's Cuts on their YouTube channel: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video.html

Some high quality stuff, right there.
Just in case you're interested in all of the race edits ever produced (starting in 2008) up to now, take a look at this thread and you shall find all of them (or at least those which haven't been taken down). Plus all quali-laps.

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/32140-Complete-Archive-of-Official-Formula-1-Race-Edit-and-On-board-videos/page6

If they insist on changing qualifying then you simply copy and paste what MotoGP have. At first the MotoGP system seemed an over complicated copy of what F1 had, but it means that fans trackside and at home have the bikes running at their best right from the first lap of FP1, because they have to to ensure a good opportunity in qualifying.
I've just watched an absolutely cracking 1h 17m long podcast / video with Ross Brawn and Nick Fry talking to Motorsport magazine about their 2009 season with Brawn GP. I'll leave a link to it here, it's absolutely worth the watch for any F1 fan, with some absolutely fascinating anecdotes about what really went on that year. Watching it made me realise just how amazing their story is, from nothing to championship glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReVb5P0mdds&index=2&list=WL

I won't give much away but one thing that I found pretty interesting was that apparently Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn first talked about him returning to Formula 1 with Mercedes in a nightclub! Nick Fry happened to spot him and suggested Ross went and spoke to him, but that's how it first started!
I don't know the reliability of the source, but there are a couple of rumours going around about Monza. Apparently they offered Bernie €19 million per year (I don't know how that compares to other tracks, but apparently it's a good deal for FOM) and he turned it down because they're interested in bringing MotoGP and WSB to the track. He told them it was "F1 or motorbikes" and slated plans to put a second chicane in before Curva Grande (and who can blame him on that?...).

He was looking at moving to either Mugello (unlikely) or Imola (possible) unless Monza changed their management, which has now happened.

Who knows what will happen.
I believe the  chicane they're talking of adding is on the inside of the corner where there's just trees. It won't affect the track layout for F1 at all and is just being added to make it safer for bikes so they don't have to use the first chicane.
I like it. It's simple, futuristic, and, most importantly, it doesn't give me Ebola just by looking at it, like the halo concept.
It's also not very efficient at the whole head protection caper. Look how much space there is, there's still a possibility of being hit on the head so why have that device there in the first place if it's only going to work one out of a hundred times in the event of an already ridiculously rare occurrence? Throw it in the bin.
Mexicola said:
I like it. It's simple, futuristic, and, most importantly, it doesn't give me Ebola just by looking at it, like the halo concept.
It's also not very efficient at the whole head protection caper. Look how much space there is, there's still a possibility of being hit on the head so why have that device there in the first place if it's only going to work one out of a hundred times in the event of an already ridiculously rare occurrence? Throw it in the bin.
Same can be said about the halo concept. Best solution? Closed jet canopy. But with that we need air conditioning for the drivers. Making the cars even heavier all elements considered. It's just too early for that, I think. The cars would need to be fully redesigned for a concept like this.

I consider the current two concepts as stepping stones. And that's what they probably are supposed to be. Also, they could have helped in an accident like we've seen with Justin Wilson. And the Red Bull concept would have also helped Massa a few years back.
Closed jet canopy also has the problem of the driver being trapped in the event of the car rolling over in addition to the air conditioning that you've already pointed out. You ask me, I say scrap all this and stick with what we have. We can't prepare cars for every single eventuality.

Massa, Wilson and Surtees are the only instances I can remember where head protection would prevent harm. Three people. Are we really going to go through all this because of three incidents? I'm sure there's other safety aspects we can look at first before implementing something which is the result of knee-jerk reaction and oversentimentality. Something which has no place in motorsport in my opinion.

TLDR; Throw it in the bin.
  • UP100 pinned this topic