Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

No, there is no way to prepare for every single eventuality. And there is always going to be a certain risk. But the motorsport as a whole should do it's best to reduce the risk of death and injury as much as is humanly possible. 3 deaths are 3 too many.

And further cockpit protection isn't exactly a new idea. There have been ideas floating about for years now. And if you ask me, I don't think this is just a hasty knee-jerk reaction. It seems like the most logical next step in making sure we watch a bunch of blokes race without them being killed in the process. This is racing, not a Gladiator match.
We agree to disagree then. The entire concept of cockpit protection is total nonsense to me but in any case, if cockpit protection has to happen then it has to be done properly or not at all. The halo isn't good enough. If we're going to go that way I'd say an electronically retractable full canopy with sufficient air conditioning is the best way to go, if it's a possibility.
It touches the helmet, true, but could you imagine what would happen to the helmet without the protection? In fact I'd say it's doing a damn good job. I'm genuinely impressed.
If you are going to do a job, do it properly. What's the point having a partial closed cockpit if it doesn't fully protect the head? As that could still be fatal. There's then all the other drawbacks, rain, oil, not being able to see the lights, not spotting flags early if they are up higher. The list goes on, it might make one thing safer, but cause a lot of new safety concerns. The only plus is it looks nice.
I can't confirm this, but as a general observation from this morning, it seemed to me that Ricciardo's head was in a different place relative to where the "helmet" is in that test. It looked lower down and slightly further back. In which case, the tyre probably wouldn't hit the helmet. 

And DR says visibility isn't an issue. Rain/oil is the big question, but considering it's basically just a massive visor there's no reason they can't use the same technology they use on the helmet visors to have rain and oil slide of its surface. 

It's definitely step in the right direction compared to the halo. I am of the general opinion that if you're going to do it, do it properly or not at all. But at this point it seems inevitable there is going to be some kind of head protection on the cars for either next year or 2018, so there's no point moaning about it. This solution doesn't protect the driver from all circumstances, but if one life is saved in a circumstance in which it does protect the driver then it will have been worth it. 
I totally agree with you Seb, I think if they are going to do it then they should go for the full protection with a fully enclosed cockpit. It would mean the cars would need a major re-design to be able to fit in doors, etc, but I think it would do the job properly and to a better safety standard. I also think it would look better aesthetically. I'd rather they waited until lets say 2019 so they can spend a year properly investigating how to design something like this, and then give the teams a chance to get their head around the rules and get the job done, rather than a half-arsed effort rushed in for next year which looks bolted on.

With visibility, it won't be an issue, I'm sure they'll just whack a windscreen wiper on and it'll be fine, and it won't fog up. Look at the LMP1 cars in the WEC, they cope perfectly fine.

Also, I think going fully closed may in fact be safer in terms of escaping the car quicker if the car rolls over, but it depends how they do it. With the LMP1 cars, the drivers can climb out the sides of the doors. I have no idea what F1 would do, but if they don't have doors then they may be trapped.

It's such a hard situation. I am now 99% certain F1 will have closed cockpits in the near future, it's just how they go about doing it, safely and elegantly.
No, there is no way to prepare for every single eventuality. And there is always going to be a certain risk. But the motorsport as a whole should do it's best to reduce the risk of death and injury as much as is humanly possible. 3 deaths are 3 too many.

And further cockpit protection isn't exactly a new idea. There have been ideas floating about for years now. And if you ask me, I don't think this is just a hasty knee-jerk reaction. It seems like the most logical next step in making sure we watch a bunch of blokes race without them being killed in the process. This is racing, not a Gladiator match.
Gladiators were not killed as much as you think, at least, that is what I've heard ;)
Hi everyone i have launched my new media comapny, i have acredditation and i post all of the techical analysis from the paddock which includes circuit data and all of the timings and decisions from the fia
As an F1 journalist myself, I know that it's impossible to gain accreditation unless you're company has covered every GP for the past three seasons.
Hi everyone i have launched my new media comapny, i have acredditation and i post all of the techical analysis from the paddock which includes circuit data and all of the timings and decisions from the fia
Nice, what's your 'comapny' called then? I guess you'll be on social media, looking forward to seeing your 'techical' analysis. :)
Did you fly home on the same plane as Lewis Hamilton and Nicole Scherzinger?
Finally going to my first F1 race. Bought a Sunday ticket for the Montreal race, can't wait! Seat is at TRIBUNE POPULAIRE *2* which is just after the turn 11 technically. Should give a good view of the hairpin as well as the straight.
SynGamer said:
Finally going to my first F1 race. Bought a Sunday ticket for the Montreal race, can't wait! Seat is at TRIBUNE POPULAIRE *2* which is just after the turn 11 technically. Should give a good view of the hairpin as well as the straight.
What are the support races at Montreal?
fIsince08 said:
SynGamer said:
http://www.grandprixmontreal.com/events.php

I only have a Sunday ticket, not sure if it allows me to see the morning races.
SynGamer said:
fIsince08 said:
SynGamer said:
http://www.grandprixmontreal.com/events.php

I only have a Sunday ticket, not sure if it allows me to see the morning races.
It did when I went a few years ago. Got there at like 7am got to the fence and watched all support races.
Hope it's a great day for you SynGamer. First F1 race should be something you remember for the rest of your life as a motorsport fan. And if you're sitting near the hairpin you should see plenty of action. As well as the annual Raikkonen spin, of course. 
As Seb said, have a fab time, and Canada should throw up a great race.

Unfortunately I don't remember much of my first F1 race. It was Silverstone 2002, I was 5 years old and I fell asleep for most of it. I only remember a bloke behind me waking me up with a claxon when Schumacher came round Luffield to take the chequered flag :/

Silverstone 2008 was way better ;)
  • UP100 pinned this topic