Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I remember when I went to Silverstone last year. The Porsche qualifying session was on when we arrived and we could hear it in the coach park as it was amplified by the stands (iirc the bus park was opposite Luffield and the old pit lane). It sounded awesome and the noise was epic as I walked to Brooklands.

The noise of the F1 cars let it down a bit in qualifying, but once I got over the disappointment of the lack of sound I loved it, the speed of the cars is mega to watch and it was a really enjoyable session.

Don't worry, though, the noise on race day is much louder and if it's a good race you don't notice anyway!
It is now, but wasn't when he posted :p   Not a fan of Kvyat at all, but this does seem very harsh, especially after what Horner said. Seems more likely they waited for the opportunity to get rid of him so they could call up Max and stop Ferrari poaching him.
https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/727974214326587392
Don't think Kyvat has looked too impressive compared to Ricciardo and with someone like Verstappen at Toro Rosso, you need to perform top notch from the get go. If it was just Sainz, he still would've been allowed to finish the season, but it isn't.
I have never particularly liked Red Bull especially after their crappy livery last year and DK hasn't exactly helped matters but recently there's just something to do with Red Bull that makes me a big fan, I got a RB t shirt last year and their new livery is quite nice since there is no outline on the red parts  :D But I always liked Ricciardo and Verstappen so now I guess I want them to do well lol
Crikey, I wasn't expecting to wake up to this news this morning!

I do feel a bit sorry for Kvyat, someone said it earlier, the team were singing his praises after his China podium, then one mistake and he's out? Yes, I appreciate it cost Ricciardo points in Russia too, and Kvyat hasn't been quite on his pace, but this early in the season?!

I get the feeling this decision was more on the doing of the Verstappen camp. Max is Marko's little golden boy and I expect they said they need to do the swap now for him to stay in the Red Bull family, or he would have gone. And if he did there's no doubt he wouldn't be snapped up by Ferrari for example. Everyone wants him on their team.

Wow.

EDIT: Just another point, now this has happened I see absolutely no chance of Kvyat ending back up at Red Bull. If I were him I would be looking around at drives for next season straight away. I doubt Ferrari would take him, maybe Williams would be his best bet.
At the end of the day if Verstappen wasn't put in that seat now, he was going to be put there at the end of the season. So I guess Marko just thought what's the point in prolonging the inevitable. It puts there newest superstar driver in the A-team and wards of any threat of Ferrari snapping him up. It's a harsh move but it's a clever one, that I can understand. 

And lets be honest: a) Kvyat isn't that special. Even on his two podium appearances for RB, they were on days when Ricciardo was much more impressive. And b) who doesn't want to see Verstappen in a Red Bull? He's been one of the most exciting stories to happen to F1 in a long time and now he's in a top team. I can't wait to see how he does. 
Verstappen's engineer at Toro Rosso, Xevi Pujolar, just got sacked.

So Verstappen moving up is apparently also in part caused by internal affairs between Camp Max and Camp Sainz. With Max gone and Pujolar not coming with him, the latter is removed to bring back harmony in the team.
Sounds like he was fired to sort out the environment at STR.

"In qualifying at Sochi team principal Franz Tost had a blazing row with Verstappen and his race engineer Xevi Pujolar after they had ‘gone freelance’ against the team plan in their choice of tyres. "

Someone on Reddit also posted this.

"Interesting, since the article is in my native language, let me correct some wrong translations.

It states that after the debacle with team orders in Singapore last year, the relationships between the engineers from each side of the garages was under stress. Apparently the following race in Japan, they again clashed (verbally) over team orders. It also states that Xevi and Max got along very well, but that Xevi was not allowed to follow Max to RBR."

It's ridiculous that Merc have had to even do this. I like Lewis but the vast majority of his fanbase are a complete embarassment. Was the same back in 2011 as well. No driver beats his teammate every year. Funny how the same people didn't say the same when Rosberg got the bad luck last year or when Button had problems in 2012.

As for Red Bull I'm completely indifferent about it. It's harsh sure and although he has the right attitude he clearly isn't on the same level as Ricciardo. I'm still confused to this day why they promoted him over Vergne. As others have said though, it's an excuse to ensure Verstappen's services. He's undoubtedly talented and I respect his ability but I'm really not a fan of him. At least now we'll get to see if he can live up to the hype. Would be quite funny I think if Ricciardo utterly dominates him though and he fades away into an also ran like Bottas has.

Also isn't there rumours floating about that Button could potentially replace Massa next year if he doesn't stay at Mclaren or retire? And no doubt the usual "who's going to replace Kimi at Ferrari" headlines are coming up too.
Funny how the same people didn't say the same when Rosberg got the bad luck last year or when Button had problems in 2012.

First of all, Rosberg didn't have a streak of two let alone four races in a row when things out of his hands went wrong. The amount of points lost due to no fault of the driver was fairly equal in 2015, just as it was in 2014. 2016 so far has been completely one sided (bad) luck-wise, hence people complain.

Regarding Button, I think bringing up 2012 to prove that he was unlucky considering the amount of points Lewis lost that season due to no fault of his own is a bold statement to say the least.

It's four races in 21... Everyone needs to get over it. In 2014 they ended up with roughly exactly the same number of bad luck instances (despite everyone yelling conspiracy then too. Last year was pretty much even too. 

Hamilton fans complaining about conspiracy theories are ridiculous.  The guy isn't perfect he has bad luck like EVERY other driver. Just because he isn't proving your theory about him right every race weekend, doesn't mean there is a conspiracy... it could just mean he's having some bad luck.

Fans like these never seem to be happy they want to shout how he's the best driver to ever grace this earth in one sentence and blame the car/team for all bad luck in the next. $%!# happens.... get over it. Still a long way to go.
Funny how the same people didn't say the same when Rosberg got the bad luck last year or when Button had problems in 2012.

First of all, Rosberg didn't have a streak of two let alone four races in a row when things out of his hands went wrong. The amount of points lost due to no fault of the driver was fairly equal in 2015, just as it was in 2014. 2016 so far has been completely one sided (bad) luck-wise, hence people complain.

Regarding Button, I think bringing up 2012 to prove that he was unlucky considering the amount of points Lewis lost that season due to no fault of his own is a bold statement to say the least.

Consecutive races or not he had his fair share and then some. It's not really that bold. Merely pointing out that both of his teammates that were supposedly favoured according to the theorists had bad luck as well.
You don't actually believe it do you? :#
Merc aren't going to pay the guy 30mil+ just to sabotage him. It's nonsense.
  • UP100 pinned this topic